Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:50:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Books like Our Band Could Be Your Life

Started by Dirty Boy, June 18, 2022, 09:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirty Boy

I've been re-reading this and want to read more tomes about noise rock/alternative/punk/post-punk shizzle. Not really fussed about specific bands, just recommend away.

dontpaintyourteeth

I haven't read it yet so don't blame me if it's shite but that new book about SST records, Corporate Rock Sucks, looks promising

Dirty Boy

It's got decidedly mixed reviews, but i'll read anything about The Minutemen. Ta.

Tokyo van Ramming

I used to have a copy of GIGS FROM HELL, read it dozens of times probably. Most of the bands were unknown to me at the time but was absolutely fascinating, and highly enjoyable.

Inspector Norse

The obvious one is Simon Reynolds' Rip It Up and Start Again, which if you've not already read it, covers post-punk and the beginnings of indie/noise/alt/synth on both sides of the Atlantic.

non capisco

Quote from: Inspector Norse on June 19, 2022, 03:23:36 PMThe obvious one is Simon Reynolds' Rip It Up and Start Again, which if you've not already read it, covers post-punk and the beginnings of indie/noise/alt/synth on both sides of the Atlantic.

Love that book. His glam rock book 'Shock & Awe' is superb as well.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: non capisco on June 19, 2022, 05:49:29 PMLove that book. His glam rock book 'Shock & Awe' is superb as well.

Rip It Up and Start Again is an incredible achievement.  Reread almost all of it recently at a party that I wasn't enjoying.

Then follow it up by getting the "To the Outside of Everything" CD compilation on Cherry Red.

iamcoop

Punk Rock: An Oral History by John Robb is a great read.

It's fairly cliche free, has loads of interviews with people that were on the periphery of the scene (who were just as important as the key players but often get ignored in books of this ilk) and Robb is an extremely likeable guy which always helps.

Out of all the books I've ever read about the U.K. punk scene it's the one I return to the most.   

Neville Chamberlain

If you've not read it already, The Day the Country Died: A History of Anarcho-Punk is absolutely essential. Discovered so much good music thanks to that particular tome!

Ray Travez

I've only just started 'Sing Backwards and Weep' by Mark Lanagan, but so far it's great. My wife loved it. The audiobook is read by him and adds extra flavour. I don't know any of his music but it hasn't mattered so far.

Please Kill Me is obvious, but one I particularly enjoyed.

Dirty Boy

The Lanegan book is great, but steel yourself for the last few chapters, it starts to read more like a horror story.

Interested in a lot of the ones mentioned, but they seem rather pricey on Amazon. Where do you get your books from eh?

Quote from: Tokyo van Ramming on June 19, 2022, 10:14:09 AMI used to have a copy of GIGS FROM HELL, read it dozens of times probably. Most of the bands were unknown to me at the time but was absolutely fascinating, and highly enjoyable.

I'm in that! Sent a garbled, horribly punctuated piece to the editor and to my shame it appeared unedited.

Famous Mortimer

I remember really enjoying "Lost In Music" by Giles Smith - a little bit about his own career, but mostly about the other bands and trends of the time.

willbo

I just read a book from the library called "Exit Stage Left" that I really enjoyed. It's about the experience of being a pop star who falls from fame in the UK and what that feels like. He talks to everyone from Robbie Williams to Ed Tudor Pole. I skimmed through it in a day.

My favourite music book I've ever read is one about the history of the album, from the first Victorian cylinders and classical LPs to jazz and rock and how the life of the album and album sales changed. I really liked it because it was about the music and records more than the rock stars. Trouble is I can't remember what it was called. Google brings up David Hepworth's "fabulous creation", but I don't think that was it, although it looks good too.

"punk rock - an oral history" is probably one of the most entertaining and readable music books I've ever read, some of the stories in it really have me laughing

Famous Mortimer

Our very own Louis Barfe wrote the excellent "Where Have All the Good Times Gone? The rise and fall of the record industry" a few years back, too, which is definitely worth reading.

Tokyo van Ramming

Quote from: fatguyrantingredux on June 22, 2022, 05:29:20 PMI'm in that! Sent a garbled, horribly punctuated piece to the editor and to my shame it appeared unedited.

Haha! That's amazing. I've been thinking about the book a lot so will probably buy another copy. I'll look out for your contribution.

It really is a great book.