Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:33:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Soulseek help, please...

Started by madhair60, June 19, 2022, 05:08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Right, I can get Soulseek working, I can download shit with it, but in another thread another poster managed to find some songs that should have appeared with the search terms I used, but didn't. Does anyone know why that might happen? Does anyone know how this thing actually works?

dontpaintyourteeth

You can download stuff normally but couldn't find something specific? If it was something obscure it could just be that nobody who was online at the time that you searched had it. On the other hand certain search terms don't work, like "Beatles" or "mobile suit gundam", presumably a legal thing but in those instances you just have to search for specific song titles or episodes names or whatever

madhair60

So they have to be online? I don't understand this at all.

jamiefairlie

Put the search term in your wish list

Uncle TechTip

Yes they have to be running the client themselves. All searches are sent to everyone's client and the matches returned. But I don't think every single search result is returned to you, maybe you were unlucky. Many users will block your download if you aren't sharing anything back but that doesn't stop results being returned, so doesn't sound like that.

If you can track down the user with the files you can usually browse their selection directly, though again this isn't true every time.

There are various different clients available, maybe you have more luck with another eg nicotine

Sebastian Cobb

I haven't used soulseek in a while but it used to be that search could work in both a decentralised and centralised fashion and to get the best results you needed to open some ports or have a router with upnp so they could be opened by the client automatically.

And yes I found nicotine to be a better client.

Famous Mortimer

I use SoulseekQT and, while I've only been using Nicotine+ for about ten minutes, it doesn't seem quite as easy to use. I imagine that comes, at least in part, from me having used the first one for years, but...

It also reminded me of how little I like port forwarding. It's one of those parts of the internet that never seemed to be anything other than a technical ballache that I was never successful at doing.

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 26, 2022, 07:14:18 PMI use SoulseekQT and, while I've only been using Nicotine+ for about ten minutes, it doesn't seem quite as easy to use. I imagine that comes, at least in part, from me having used the first one for years, but...

It also reminded me of how little I like port forwarding. It's one of those parts of the internet that never seemed to be anything other than a technical ballache that I was never successful at doing.

All these years using slsk and I still just guess at the port forwarding thing it until it works.

Mister Six

Soulseek? Port forwarding? Have I somehow fallen into 2000? Is there time yet to put right what once went wrong?