Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:32:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Head of Comedy at Channel 4

Started by lauraxsynthesis, June 27, 2022, 01:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lauraxsynthesis

https://www.channel4.com/press/news/channel-4-appoints-charlie-perkins-head-comedy
I'd never heard of her but from the response she seems very well regarded and I'm getting the impression this is good news. I think her dad was Geoffrey Perkins? Sad to think she'll oversee the last hurrah of great Channel 4 comedy before the Tories dismantle it all.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear what folks would like Perkins to do.

edwardfog

I know her fairly well, she's going to be fantastic for the channel. She was a big driving force behind the Invisible Dot and Don't Hug Me I'm Scared, and she runs The Paddock which is far and away the best new material night in London. She has strong ties to the wave of alt-comedians who are currently building big profiles; people like Jamie Demetriou, Liam Williams, Tash & Ellie, Emma Sidi etc

I'm hoping for a bunch more opportunities for interesting talent on terrestrial TV. Some kind of series for Sam Campbell is a must, maybe for Kim Noble or Simple Town as well.

Maybe a late night slot for experimental video stuff a la Adult Swim's Off the Air?

I have faith she'll do great things; really happy about this

madhair60

Quote from: edwardfog on June 27, 2022, 01:57:14 PMI know her fairly well, she's going to be fantastic for the channel. She was a big driving force behind Don't Hug Me I'm Scared

oh fuck no.

Brundle-Fly

Some comedy commissioners of the past have got their jobs simply by dint of working in telly, but she has been steeped in comedy all her life, so should be great for the channel.

Quote from: madhair60 on June 27, 2022, 02:00:50 PMoh fuck no.

What? You didn't like that? I thought it was great.
Yes, even the last episode.
New series in september!

BritishHobo

Yeah I think Don't Hug Me I'm Scared is great, and it's very fucking good to hear she's involved in The Paddock and that whole circle of comedians.

edwardfog

DHMIS is one of the absolute best British comedies of this millennium. Never met anyone who didn't like it before

edwardfog

We could see Johnny White Really-Really on TV! Please Charlie please

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: edwardfog on June 27, 2022, 01:57:14 PMI know her fairly well, she's going to be fantastic for the channel. She was a big driving force behind the Invisible Dot and Don't Hug Me I'm Scared, and she runs The Paddock which is far and away the best new material night in London. She has strong ties to the wave of alt-comedians who are currently building big profiles; people like Jamie Demetriou, Liam Williams, Tash & Ellie, Emma Sidi etc

I'm hoping for a bunch more opportunities for interesting talent on terrestrial TV. Some kind of series for Sam Campbell is a must, maybe for Kim Noble or Simple Town as well.

Maybe a late night slot for experimental video stuff a la Adult Swim's Off the Air?

I have faith she'll do great things; really happy about this

I wanted to like Don't Hug Me I'm Scared but it always felt like a poor PFFR imitation, I just tried to watch the Food episode again to see if I'd been unfair but really struggled with it. I do love pretty much everything else you mention though, and a Sam Campbell series and a late night experimental slot would be fantastic, so I really hope she's given the chance to bring relatively unknown voices to the channel.

madhair60

I like the first episode, Time and the Computer one, at a stretch, but... it ended, having completely stretched its one idea to breaking point and relying on tedious LORE, and now they're doing more?

BritishHobo

I could be being overly generous, but I always thought it was one of those things where the fans make it seem worse than it is. It drops a few things here and there, but unlike say, Five Nights at Freddys, I never felt it went to any great pains to actually establish any detailed lore beyond what made it funny/odd. And then as always the fans ran with it to a tedious degree. The last episode is packed full of very funny stuff, and of course there were endless reaction videos from people staring blankly at all the jokes and then lighting up when they spotted a detail they could make a twenty-minute 'DHMIS EXPLAINED!' video about.

bobloblaw

her company Blink Industries also did the Wise Owl animations for Inside No 9

The Mollusk

I'm a big fan of PFFR and (the good stuff from) Adult Swim and other weirdo crafty and creative comedy like Food Party but I thought DHMIS was rubbish. Didn't watch enough of it to know there was lore, watched maybe three episodes and just thought it was humourless and try-hard creepy, really not good at all.

Anyway back on topic this is good news.

edwardfog

Quote from: BritishHobo on June 27, 2022, 03:34:54 PMI could be being overly generous, but I always thought it was one of those things where the fans make it seem worse than it is. It drops a few things here and there, but unlike say, Five Nights at Freddys, I never felt it went to any great pains to actually establish any detailed lore beyond what made it funny/odd. And then as always the fans ran with it to a tedious degree. The last episode is packed full of very funny stuff, and of course there were endless reaction videos from people staring blankly at all the jokes and then lighting up when they spotted a detail they could make a twenty-minute 'DHMIS EXPLAINED!' video about.

I never got into any of the lore or reaction video stuff, just thought it was brilliantly creative and so funny. The work that goes into it is insane and it still holds up like gangbusters

@Small Man Big Horse Sam Campbell is a writer on the new series so you might find it worth checking out anyhow

I can see a resemblance to PFFR but as for "poor imitation" I'm afraid I'll have to ask you to get real. I'm a big Vernon Chatman hater tho

edwardfog

But yeah not to turn this into a referendum on DHMIS, which is probably not going to be a significant factor in whatever Charlie commissions

madhair60

Quote from: edwardfog on June 27, 2022, 04:34:34 PM@Small Man Big Horse Sam Campbell is a writer on the new series so you might find it worth checking out anyhow

I'll check it out for sure, I'm just a little bit like, blimey, that ended half a decade ago

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: edwardfog on June 27, 2022, 04:34:34 PMI never got into any of the lore or reaction video stuff, just thought it was brilliantly creative and so funny. The work that goes into it is insane and it still holds up like gangbusters

@Small Man Big Horse Sam Campbell is a writer on the new series so you might find it worth checking out anyhow

I can see a resemblance to PFFR but as for "poor imitation" I'm afraid I'll have to ask you to get real. I'm a big Vernon Chatman hater tho

Ah, I love Sam Campbell so definitely will give it another go.

And I wouldn't say it's a matter of getting real for either of us though, just a difference of opinion.

neveragain