Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:25:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pride (2014)

Started by bgmnts, July 02, 2022, 07:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Considering it is Pride day today and all that I thought i'd give this film a go and I must say it was bloody good. Bit of a cheesy feelgood fest but it is based on a true story about The Lesbians and Gays Support the Miners group and their reciprocal visits and relationships. Each character has their own thing going on and I think the film was balanced perfectly between the miners and the LGBT community.

Amazingly, in 1985 the London Pride event was actually led by the LGSM and Miners union. I suppose Pride is much less of a political event now, but it is incredible to see the link and solidarity between oppressed workers and oppressed LGBT people.

Anyway, all the cast are quite good, especially Bill Nighy, Imelda Staunton and the lad Ben Schnetzer playing the charismatic Mark Ashton.

Good film, would recommend. Fuck Thatcher, fuck tories, fuck any cunt who believes in this shit.

The Mollusk

Yeah seen this twice and think it's flipping wonderful. All the hallmarks of a classic feel good British film but ticks all the boxes very well. The Bill Nighy scene where they're making the sandwiches is an understated delight.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It's so good, I didn't even mind Andrew Scott in it.

Gambrinus

I watched it last week for the first time and really enjoyed it. Enjoyed the running joke about lesbians all being vegetarian.

My auntie (lesbian, vegetarian) was down in That London in the eighties when it all started and very vaguely knew some of the people involved.

Famous Mortimer

I'm mates with one of the women who was part of LGSM, but she wasn't directly translated into the film (they used bits of her in different characters). Apparently, the meetings were a lot more boring.

imitationleather

Lovely film all round.

It had me welling up at the end. Not to sound like a misery guts, but the idea of people putting aside their differences and uniting for a good cause (even if the fossil fuel industry should be closed down) seems so bloody remote these days.

Are any of the actors playing the gay characters actually gay themselves? It seems a bit dodgily ironic if not. Russell Tovey is the only one that I know is out and he's just in a cameo.

Ditto with the Welsh characters.

Bad Ambassador

I'm told by someone who worked on the film that non-union labour were enlisted as extras, which is ironic.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on July 04, 2022, 03:21:38 PMI'm told by someone who worked on the film that non-union labour were enlisted as extras, which is ironic.
It's also unattributed and third-hand (not saying it isn't true, but I'd like more than that).

Bad Ambassador

I was told by someone I've known for many years and have no reason not to trust, but there's not much more to the story than that.

KennyMonster

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 03, 2022, 11:12:15 AMAre any of the actors playing the gay characters actually gay themselves?

Andrew Scott

Also in reply to your comment on him, WTAF?

His Moriarty is the most annoying thing ever.

dead-ced-dead

I had no idea Ben Schnetzer was from America. A Northern Irish accent is hard to pin down and it sounded very good to my ears.

Pronounce "now" as "nigh". Done.

holyzombiejesus

high nigh brine ceye

Bernice

Yeah this is a great movie. Very much one more go at that one movie Britain loves to make, but it might be the best iteration of it.

Andrew Scott is unbearable in Sherlock, but then everything about Sherlock is fucking unbearable. I like him here and in Fleabag, and loved him in that Noel Coward play I saw him in, the name of which escapes me.

touchingcloth

I watched this at a screening arranged by BECTU with a post-show talk by Dai Donovan (who played Paddy Considine in the film) who was at that point an official for the union and gave a q&a and shouted at us all to unionise. Would recommend.

Buelligan

Watched it.  Loved it.  Some of the accents weren't very good IMO but what the fuck, boy, it's not for the accents we were watching!  Cried a bit, sang along, and the hiraeth hit me like I don't know what.  Made me proud.

Head Gardener

the DVD's have all sold out