Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:14:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sassy the Sasquatch (Big Lez Show spin-off)

Started by The Mollusk, July 04, 2022, 11:26:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

I'm surprised there's not more chat about TBLS on here. As far as homemade animated comedy goes I think it's fuckin excellent, it was funny from the very start but it's also inspiring to watch how Jarred's art and animation skills have developed over the years. The early stuff is hilariously crap but in its current form his work is so accomplished, and considering he draws it all frame by frame in MS Paint and animates it himself and does most of the voices, well, you have to hand it to him.

Since the third film went out the spin-off shows of Mike Nolan and now Sassy have taken on a much more reflective tone to the usual daft psychedelic antics and at times it's honestly really lovely in a serene and humble way whilst still being very funny. Jarred as a writer knows the shows limitations but just edges things into warmer climes without alienating his audience at all. The fans are so hugely supportive in the comments and as a whole this project feels inclusive and you feel privileged to know it exists.

First two episodes of Sassy are up now but if you've never seen the show before you really need to start from the beginning as there's a lot of continuity and you just won't fully get it. A lot of it is quite short and you could probably blitz through the lot in a couple of sittings. It's so worth it.

The Mollusk

This 3 minute episode is out of context however and works pretty well as an introduction to the humour and style of the show.

MrsWarboysLover

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 04, 2022, 11:26:39 AMSince the third film went out the spin-off shows of Mike Nolan and now Sassy have taken on a much more reflective tone to the usual daft psychedelic antics and at times it's honestly really lovely in a serene and humble way whilst still being very funny.

I really like how his work is going more for that tone now. I listened to some interviews with Jarrad recently and he's a fascinating guy. His worldview seems to be increasingly reflected in his art.
Like in that recentish Big Les behind the scenes video - it was genuinely heartwarming to see that everyone loves Clarence. Listening to more interviews with Jarrad it becomes clear he's a hippy that just loves nature and people. His psychedelics use and beliefs in UFOs and other beings is also intriguing.

The Mollusk

Quote from: MrsWarboysLover on July 04, 2022, 12:13:17 PMI really like how his work is going more for that tone now. I listened to some interviews with Jarrad recently and he's a fascinating guy. His worldview seems to be increasingly reflected in his art.
Like in that recentish Big Les behind the scenes video - it was genuinely heartwarming to see that everyone loves Clarence. Listening to more interviews with Jarrad it becomes clear he's a hippy that just loves nature and people. His psychedelics use and beliefs in UFOs and other beings is also intriguing.

Yeah he seems like a really sound and down to earth dude, but I would have never pictured him as being anything else.

Have you seen the behind the scenes documentary? Some very lovely footage, I was very taken by the part where he's clambering around the rocks by the ocean and chatting.

madhair60

i gave up when the episodes got really really really long, a million miles from the funny stuff of the first series. maybe i'll give them another try some time but it seemed like a massive misstep

edit: looking again it seems like they weren't that bad, it was mostly these long movie things, "choomah island". too much story, i liked it when it was just a daft laugh

edit 2: nah this is really harsh. it's good. it's really funny and good. i'll leave now.

The Mollusk

Deffo go back to it. The films are fucking wild, absolutely the peak of the project. The Choomah screams will be in my head until I die, absolutely insane and hilarious noise

WhoMe

Seeing the first episode of this pop up on youtube was like seeing your beloved lost dog bound over the horizon. It's just the best thing, like you say Mollusk especially seeing how it's evolved from the first episodes of Big Lez to what it became, but still retaining the feel. And now these spin offs deepening the universe and the lore of these fantastic characters.

The fucking noise that sloth thing made sitting on his log just killed me. As do most of the little details.

dontpaintyourteeth

The Mollusk

Quote from: WhoMe on July 04, 2022, 09:29:59 PMThe fucking noise that sloth thing made sitting on his log just killed me.

doing badoing badoing

Jarred has a great knack for writing stuff you and your teenage mates would come up with as rough ideas but never have the brains, wit or skill to commit to sculpting into anything that isn't a bunch of puerile shit, and somehow creating something which is all at once humble, epic, stupid as fuck, hilariously funny, grotesque and charming. It reminds me a lot of Trailer Park Boys in that regard. On paper it sounds so juvenile but it just so happens to be helmed by the exact perfect minds for the job.

spaghetamine

fuck yeah cunt, the cosy watch we all so dearly need in these gay-ass times

MrsWarboysLover

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 04, 2022, 12:56:57 PMYeah he seems like a really sound and down to earth dude, but I would have never pictured him as being anything else.

Have you seen the behind the scenes documentary? Some very lovely footage, I was very taken by the part where he's clambering around the rocks by the ocean and chatting.

I haven't, I'll have to check that out! He has some really long interviews on a "your mate tom" podcast where he's out and about in nature that I've seen though

The Mollusk

Final episode of this went up last week, it's so fucken good cunt. Really genuinely touching stuff, seems to still be massively overlooked on here despite its popularity elsewhere (Sassy episodes have racked up a couple million views each in the last few months). CaB what are you playing at mate, get it watched.

WhoMe

Damn it didn't pop up in my youtube recommends, which is currently full of Chess anal beads cheating scandal vids, so will check it out this evening.