Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:59:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Euro 2022

Started by Wayman C. McCreery, July 06, 2022, 10:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
It's had zero hype but this starts TODAY. Football on the proper telly for a month and dead cheap tickets. Yes please.

Anyone else excited? Anyone going? I'm off to England v Austria tonight, then Netherlands v Portugal, Italy v Belgium and the final.

(England might actually win the whole thing now we have a decent coach and not Phil Neville in charge)

bgmnts

Wales aren't in it so who cares but i'll be supporting Finland here.

kitsofan34

I've got tickets for the mighty clash of Austria vs Norway. I'm excited for it purely for getting to sit in a major sporting stadium for a tenner, really.

shoulders

Getting prepared to click on more links that refuse to properly specify whether they refer to Mens or womens football.

Bennett Brauer

I like it when they swap knickers at the end!

Bennett Brauer

Prehistoric banter isn't acceptable in the modern world. I accept that. I failed to change when the world has changed. I wholeheartedly apologise for my behaviour. It was wrong. I deserve to be battered. I can stand up and take a beating. I meant to say 'shirts'.

Quote from: shoulders on July 06, 2022, 10:58:04 AMGetting prepared to click on more links that refuse to properly specify whether they refer to Mens or womens football.

Yeah, it is a bit daft sometimes. There's no ambiguity with Euro 2022 - because there isn't a men's Euro 2022 - but there's a headline on the BBC website saying "Chelsea sign Czech midfielder Svitkova", which could be about either the men's or women's team. Surely it'd suit everyone better if that headline said "Chelsea Women sign Czech midfield Svitkova"? There was a question on Pointless recently that specified they were asking about men's football. Which shows that it's stupidly simply to specify whether things refer to the men's or women's game when there's ambiguity.

For anyone sceptical about women's football, it'll definitely be worth watching some of this tournament - it should be a lot of fun. The standard has improved massively over the last decade, especially among the top sides. Some teams have definitely been left behind, though I don't think we'll see any double-figure hammerings in this tournament (that said, I always enjoy seeing a team getting absolutely battered. England beat Latvia 20-0 last year which was great entertainment). And don't compare it to men's football - it's the same rules, but the difference in technical ability and physicality means it's played differently.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on July 06, 2022, 12:25:50 PMEngland beat Latvia 20-0 last year which was great entertainment

It really wasn't, it was a desperate spectacle

jobotic

As long as its on the radio I'm happy. Missed listening to football while doing the ironing.

[Keys and Gray call me a big poof]

Quote from: Norton Canes on July 06, 2022, 12:30:50 PMIt really wasn't, it was a desperate spectacle

It wasn't great for the sport. And you certainly wouldn't want to see it happen more than once every few years. But do I like watching lots of stupid goals? Yes I do.

sevendaughters

got tickets for Ned v Portugal in Leigh next week. should be fun!

Crenners

Can't wait to get behind the Lionesses

Thursday

Going to watch this then after a few minutes think "hmm bit boring though." and be on my laptop the whole time while it's on in the background.

This isn't sexist it's what I usually do with men's football.

Kankurette

You can really tell by the scorelines which countries invest in women's football and which ones couldn't care less about it.

imitationleather

Woah. The England women's team is very Aryan.

Brian Freeze

We got tickets for Dutchesses v Swedey ladies on satdy night at Bramall Lane. 

There weren't many tickets left, hope we can still get to Kosta's first.

mjwilson

mince pie sausage roll, come on England score a goal

mjwilson

Crenners

Great to see some attention on the women's game. I won't personally be watching any of it because I don't watch much football at the best of times but I'm glad to see it's getting some attention at the top of the BBC sport page.

hamfist

I watched England - Netherlands with the kids at Elland Road a couple of weeks ago. Dirt cheap tickets, easy evening out with the kids.

Confusingly, England played in orange while The Netherlands played in white with blue shorts. Since we arrived exactly on kickoff I didn't see the anthems or anything and was utterly bamboozled.

The kids fucking loved it, especially my daughter and her friend. They're off to France - Italy in Rotherham on Sunday which I have to miss as I'm working away - bah.

Blue Jam

Watching England vs Austria now. Not got much to add to this thread except I'm glad it's getting the coverage it deserves. My local pub showed a lot of the last women's World Cup and it was nice to see so many people watching intently and cheering on Scotland.

imitationleather

The game has actually been pretty good, both teams really going for it.

Kankurette

Clearly an evil Dutch plan to confuse Wiegman.

The Netherlands are one of the teams I'm looking forward to seeing, if only because of Viviane Miedema (and now I've got that FUCKING Manics song stuck in my head).

SweetPomPom

Looked like a full house last night. Got tix for the QF at Brighton and then the Wembley for the final - perfect for the kids and without all the stress and nonsense of the mens WC games.

Yeah, it was a sellout last night. Think the capacity was slightly reduced to accommodate big screens which they don't usually have at Old Trafford.

It was full of women and kids, and very few Bald Football Men. It's easy to be sniffy about sanitised football atmospheres where everyone gets a free flag and a fold-out clacker thing but everyone seemed determined to have a great time regardless of what was happening on the pitch.

I was one of the few people who had a great time at the (men's) Euro 2020 final and was completely unaffected by the crowd trouble, but in many ways I much preferred last night's experience.

mjwilson

NOR vs NIR, which is typographically pleasing, but it's not looking good for NIR.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on July 07, 2022, 01:46:28 PMYeah, it was a sellout last night. Think the capacity was slightly reduced to accommodate big screens which they don't usually have at Old Trafford.

It was full of women and kids, and very few Bald Football Men. It's easy to be sniffy about sanitised football atmospheres where everyone gets a free flag and a fold-out clacker thing but everyone seemed determined to have a great time regardless of what was happening on the pitch.

I was one of the few people who had a great time at the (men's) Euro 2020 final and was completely unaffected by the crowd trouble, but in many ways I much preferred last night's experience.

That's my problem with it though. The men's MLS is the same, the crowds all swanning about reacting to shit that's got nothing to do with the game and not reacting to good play. I enjoyed watching games in Scotland in January with crowds of 1000 more than I do here with crowds over 20K.

imitationleather

Pretty brutal timing, this tournament clashing with the government collapsing.

Nowt had been happening for weeks, as well!

Kankurette

Was it the NI manager who claimed the wimmenz are too emotional?

imitationleather

Quote from: Kankurette on July 08, 2022, 12:56:38 AMWas it the NI manager who claimed the wimmenz are too emotional?

Oh yes indeedy.