Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,477
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:24:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Russ Abbot in "Naughty Little Kazoo"

Started by Ron Maels Moustache, July 06, 2022, 10:43:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
One of the things that has often tormented me in the small hours, in breaks between contemplating all my past failings is this nagging thought - "What the fuck was the Russ Abbot kazoo song all about from the Russ Abbot Show in 1990?"

After having this nagging at my memory for longer than I can contemplate, I finally decided to put "Russ Abbot kazoo" into youtube, and fuck me if I didn't remember every single note of this fucking tune, 32 years later. The earworm that never dies. And now my torment is yours.

I don't think I could possibly have understood any of the saucy seaside postcard innuendos at the time so to me as a child it was just Abbot singing a baffling song about a "notey" little kazoo.

Glebe

That's quite a day by the seaside for Abbot and friends!

Brundle-Fly

It's just an overlong pastiche of an old saucy comedy song like "My Little Stick Of Blackpool Rock", but not parodying or subverting it any way, shape or form.

If only right at the end Abbot would just sing, "It's my naugh-tee little kazoo, actually, I mean my cock.". An obvious joke to make today, but back then this pay off would've been great. Then again, his demographic was hardly the Not The Nine O'Clock News audience.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 06, 2022, 12:30:45 PMIt's just an overlong pastiche of an old saucy comedy song like "My Little Stick Of Blackpool Rock", but not parodying or subverting it any way, shape or form.

It also doesn't really work, because the things he's doing with his naughty little kazoo aren't sexy things he could do with his cock. "I played the national anthem on my naughty little kazoo" isn't exactly "I could see he was a boy, cos he had his ukulele in his hand" is it?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 06, 2022, 12:30:45 PMIt's just an overlong pastiche of an old saucy comedy song like "My Little Stick Of Blackpool Rock", but not parodying or subverting it any way, shape or form.

If only right at the end Abbot would just sing, "It's my naugh-tee little kazoo, actually, I mean my cock.". An obvious joke to make today, but back then this pay off would've been great. Then again, his demographic was hardly the Not The Nine O'Clock News audience.

Either that or With My Little Ukulele In My Hand (which I think the BBC stopped playing due to fears over a possible secondary meaning) were the Formby songs that first sprang to mind but I Blew A Little Blast On My Whistle is perhaps a closer match.

Abbot's songs tended be pastiches and don't feel they are any worse for that and could be incredibly effective. Personally, I believe a song like Only One Man was a lot more successful in parodying the type of singer that Coogan's Tony Ferrino was nominally attempting to.

Although Abbot's songs were humorous, their inclusion could be said to be due to the type of light entertainment that the programmes belonged to rather than primarily being for there for comedy sake. The kind of a joke you said would have been problematic to say the least with the timeslot and the audience demographic.

The type of comment Kenneth Williams makes at the end of singing Oh What a Beauty! on Round the Horne works (adding 'I mean my marrow' after the final 'I've never seen one as big as that before'  much to the audience's delight) is a good way of drawing attention to a  double entendre and getting humour but without being overly obvious.

DrGreggles

Amazing that he still had a comedy show on TV in the 90s.
Must have been going into late 1993 at least.