Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 09:15:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Power Ports on Laptops

Started by monkfromhavana, July 06, 2022, 11:47:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkfromhavana

Why are they so massively shit? I'd say that I'm quite a heavy user of my laptop, but surely a port should work for more than a year without refusing to stop charging my laptop. It's been the point of failure on every single laptop I have owned and it does my fucking swede in.

Getting it fixed (There is no chance of me doing itself) tends to cost about £90 and gives you an extra 6 months before it goes again.

It's not like I'm misusing the socket either.

Are the laptops where the power is via USB any better??

touchingcloth

I've never had an issue with a power port on a laptop, despite using mine for a forty hour working week plus home use.

I bet you have been misusing the sockets, you dirty bollocks.

I think laptops with a USB-C port will be able to be charged by those things in addition to the dedicated power socket if they have one. Both of my recent laptops have had both things, and it's nice having the option to charge it via the USB-C port (my partner's MacBook has a USB charger which is way smaller than my laptop's one, so if we travel we can pack both devices with just the one charger), and since the EU's recent ruling I suspect those things are going to absolutely predominate relatively soon for laptops as well as phones and tablets, so you may as well jump on that train sooner rather than later and kill a couple of birds with one stone.

Also stop putting penis in power port.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 06, 2022, 12:01:52 PMI've never had an issue with a power port on a laptop, despite using mine for a forty hour working week plus home use.

I bet you have been misusing the sockets, you dirty bollocks.

I think laptops with a USB-C port will be able to be charged by those things in addition to the dedicated power socket if they have one. Both of my recent laptops have had both things, and it's nice having the option to charge it via the USB-C port (my partner's MacBook has a USB charger which is way smaller than my laptop's one, so if we travel we can pack both devices with just the one charger), and since the EU's recent ruling I suspect those things are going to absolutely predominate relatively soon for laptops as well as phones and tablets, so you may as well jump on that train sooner rather than later and kill a couple of birds with one stone.

Also stop putting penis in power port.

Maybe it's because I use my laptop on my lap and jiggle it about a bit much with my cock firmly inserted into the power port rather than have it on a table being boring.

I'm now faced with the horror of actually doing work, instead of just watching Limmy and occasionally moving my mouse.

touchingcloth

Another good thing about USB-C ports is that because they're a slot, they're more realistic.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 06, 2022, 12:30:06 PMAnother good thing about USB-C ports is that because they're a slot, they're more realistic.

Are they easy enough to, ahem, "customize"?

touchingcloth

Quote from: monkfromhavana on July 06, 2022, 12:39:41 PMAre they easy enough to, ahem, "customize"?

Yeah, you can get special specula and that.

Sebastian Cobb

It's been a while since I broke one but I did have the wire go at the end of my power connector that goes into the laptop, it was of course hardwired and proprietary but I found a lenovo-universal adaptor and just soldered a jack plug onto the wire so i didn't have to buy an entire power brick for a busted lead.