Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 01:26:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

2022 Tory leadership election

Started by Fambo Number Mive, July 08, 2022, 04:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which turd will become the next PM?

Turdy Turdnak, Johnson's  former Turdscraper
3 (3.9%)
Lizturd 'Trussalon' Turdruss, Turd Secretary (a turd)
11 (14.5%)
Penny Mordaunt, the more she done the more she dern't
1 (1.3%)
"Fondling" Ron, the 'Wayne Rooney Sponsored Wankathon' Ron and his wife Non-Ron
5 (6.6%)
Former Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe Simpson
3 (3.9%)
The putrefying corpse of Jimmy Savile, he is a paedo and a necrophile
2 (2.6%)
All of the above
1 (1.3%)
Grant Schnapps
1 (1.3%)
A praying mantis with its cock out
6 (7.9%)
A pipette of iodine squirting through the darkening veins of a potato clock
5 (6.6%)
Louis Tussaud
3 (3.9%)
Oh yes, I'm the great bell-ender / Resetting all vote counts like a clowne
14 (18.4%)
Dresden and its twin-town Other Dresden
4 (5.3%)
C UNTC UNTC UNTC UNTCUNTC UNTCUNTC UNTCUNTC UNTC
17 (22.4%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Paul Calf

Christ almighty, even arch-Randian Darth Vader clone Sajid Javid agrees with me.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/sajid-javid-defends-liz-truss-after-she-said-british-workers-need-more-graft_uk_62fc87cde4b0c8c57f57261c?ncid=APPLENEWS00001

Quote"I think it was over a decade ago, but what I do recognise and I've long recognised as business secretary, as chancellor in all the jobs I've had in government, is the governments need to do even more to improve our productivity.

"Now, when it comes to British workers, they're the most hardworking in the world."

shoulders

Quote from: JavidThey need less red tape, they need to a government that takes advantage of our exit from the EU by reducing bureaucracy, by making sure rules and regulations are pro-business and pro-growth and really is recognises that."

There we are.

Javid was defending Truss and completely lies when he says Truss was referring to productivity.

Paul Calf

It's entirely expected. He reads that poisonous, ghoulish hypocrite Ayn Rand regularly, despite her having been a corpse for not nearly long enough.

Kankurette

As if Truss has ever done an honest day's work in her life.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 16, 2022, 08:52:23 AMAmazon's been doing well out of Sunak's business relief schemes:

Sunak also wants to set up charter cities: https://www.thenational.scot/politics/20267661.rishi-sunaks-beloved-charter-cities-pose-huge-threat-democracy/

What a shit mural.

Should decide winner based on spunk volume after a week.

Bernice

Grant Shapps saying he wants bikes to carry registration plates and compulsory road insurance. What fucking planet are these goons on? What fucking country are they inhabiting? We could be getting fucking Independence Dayed and they'd be announcing a new policy to make it illegal to look at a flag funny, the fucking terminally brainwormed cunts.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Bernice on August 17, 2022, 11:48:39 AMGrant Shapps saying he wants bikes to carry registration plates and compulsory road insurance. What fucking planet are these goons on? What fucking country are they inhabiting? We could be getting fucking Independence Dayed and they'd be announcing a new policy to make it illegal to look at a flag funny, the fucking terminally brainwormed cunts.

it's last days of communism stuff isn't it, no real ideas left just increasingly bizzare ideas by the day, bring on the next election

elliszeroed

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 16, 2022, 01:53:55 PMHustings in Perth today. I hope someone tells Truss it is Perth in Scotland not Perth in Australia.

I don't.

phantom_power

I am late to this thread and it is too daunting to read all the way through but has anyone posited the idea that the Tories have seen how shit things are going to be over the next few years and decided to sit out the whole running the country thing for a bit, let Labour take the fall and do all the hard work and then come back with someone more outwardly competent when things have calmed down a bit? It is even possible that this is what they tried to do with Boris but the public inexplicably voted for him

Is that too tinfoil hat? Do the Tories want to cling onto power no matter how damaging it is for them? I don't understand this idea that the candidates are only trying to pander to the Tory members who will vote for them rather than the general public. Surely the members will be aware that they need to get someone who will win the next election and therefore would need to appeal to the average voter? Or are they so confident that the press will set the national agenda that their needs and what the public will vote for become the same thing?

jamiefairlie

The average voter (or enough of them) will do what they're told to do by the media and vote Tory.

Paul Calf

Quote from: phantom_power on August 17, 2022, 02:23:12 PMI am late to this thread and it is too daunting to read all the way through but has anyone posited the idea that the Tories have seen how shit things are going to be over the next few years and decided to sit out the whole running the country thing for a bit, let Labour take the fall and do all the hard work and then come back with someone more outwardly competent when things have calmed down a bit? It is even possible that this is what they tried to do with Boris but the public inexplicably voted for him

Is that too tinfoil hat? Do the Tories want to cling onto power no matter how damaging it is for them? I don't understand this idea that the candidates are only trying to pander to the Tory members who will vote for them rather than the general public. Surely the members will be aware that they need to get someone who will win the next election and therefore would need to appeal to the average voter? Or are they so confident that the press will set the national agenda that their needs and what the public will vote for become the same thing?

I don't know. It's tempting to think this and it would be an excellent strategy, but the Tory Party is riddled with arseholes who are genetically compelled to seek power at all costs. And besides, who cares if the Tories get the blame for crashing the economy? The motives of most Tory politicians is to stay in office long enough to  carry out a legislative program on behalf of their sponsors and retire at 45-50 in Easy Street with a few plum directorships, speaking engagements and possibly a knighthood.

Alan B'Stard would be a centrist in today's Tory Party.

shoulders

Quote from: jamiefairlie on August 17, 2022, 02:28:08 PMThe average voter (or enough of them) will do what they're told to do by the media and vote Tory.

Early prediction, if the polls stay high 30s touching 40% for Labour and lower for Tories throughout, I reckon the Times will flip to Labour this time and potentially, but depending on more positive polling, the Sun too (but they will make Starmer virtually their bitch for the price, if they haven't already).

Express have gone so off the chart mental peddling Trump type politics it's incredible to think they once 'supported' Labour.

Kelvin

Quote from: jamiefairlie on August 17, 2022, 02:28:08 PMThe average voter (or enough of them) will do what they're told to do by the media and vote Tory.

I'm not actually sure this is true in the midst of the energy crisis and wider economic situation. It feels like the Tories are sleeping on a powder keg they still don't understand or have an answer to; potentially the worst they've faced since Cameron won. Labour only have to offer something that sounds remotely preferable and we have a very real chance of a hung parliament with a Labour government. "Magic Money Tree" won't be effective when so many are so desperate, and, crucially, once the middle classes are feeling the squeeze, missing second holidays, making cutbacks, asking whether they want the heating on... At that point the Tories are in trouble if they don't start making big moves that will also piss off their membership and backbenchers.         

Will Truss's parents soon be chanting "Lizzy, Lizzy, Lizzy: out, out, out!'?

oggyraiding

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/18/thats-not-a-wrap-rishi-sunak-fails-mcdonalds-fact-check

QuoteRishi Sunak's habit of slightly awkward interactions with the everyday world has continued after he talked of enjoying McDonald's breakfast wraps – an item that disappeared from the fast food chain's UK menu nearly two-and-a-half years ago.

The former chancellor was speaking to ITV's This Morning programme a day after he was photographed at a branch of McDonald's, where again he appeared to struggle slightly to make a contactless card payment.

Asked by hosts Rochelle Humes and Andi Peters what he had eaten, Sunak explained that it had been about 7.30am, and so he ate a bacon roll with ketchup and pancakes.

"If I'm with my daughters then we get the wrap," the Conservative leadership hopeful continued. "My eldest daughter – if I'm with her, it's the wrap with hash browns and everything in it. It's what we do."

However, a McDonald's spokesman confirmed the chain stopped selling breakfast wraps in March 2020, a move made permanent with an announcement in January this year.

How will Sunak recover from this?

Alberon

He's finished anyway. Truss could be videoed gnawing off the head of a baby (a white one at that) and she'd still romp home.

Fambo Number Mive

Truss, like Alan Partridge, has managed to annoy a load of farmers:

QuoteLiz Truss has been accused of snubbing farmers after refusing to attend rural hustings hosted by the National Farmers' Union.

Her leadership rival, Rishi Sunak, is due to address members of the National Farmers' Union on Friday, but despite pleas from the president of the NFU, Truss has refused to attend.

The foreign secretary would probably have been asked about the accusations on Wednesday by the environment secretary, George Eustice, that she refused to enshrine animal welfare standards in trade deals.

The NFU's president, Minette Batters, said it was a "shame" Truss did not want to attend the hustings, adding: "It doesn't bode well – George Eustice has made his comments – you would think she would want to put her marker down."...

Not that it will stop her winning, but it's interesting how many people she's pissed off and how many gaffes she's made and she isn't even prime minister yet.

Old Nehamkin

I had honestly forgotten this was still going on. How long do these cunts need.

Buelligan

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 17, 2022, 02:52:09 PMI don't know. It's tempting to think this and it would be an excellent strategy, but the Tory Party is riddled with arseholes who are genetically compelled to seek power at all costs. And besides, who cares if the Tories get the blame for crashing the economy? The motives of most Tory politicians is to stay in office long enough to  carry out a legislative program on behalf of their sponsors and retire at 45-50 in Easy Street with a few plum directorships, speaking engagements and possibly a knighthood.

Alan B'Stard would be a centrist in today's Tory Party.

This plus a far more simple and likely conspiracy theory is that the tory party is also full of disaster capitalists who seek to profit even if the country is fucked into a cocked hat.

Zero Gravitas

Quote from: oggyraiding on August 18, 2022, 06:31:56 PMhttps://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/18/thats-not-a-wrap-rishi-sunak-fails-mcdonalds-fact-check

How will Sunak recover from this?
Quote from: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/18/thats-not-a-wrap-rishi-sunak-fails-mcdonalds-fact-checkThey pointed out that the screen showed a message saying "Thank you for your order", which only appears some seconds after the payment has been processed, indicating an element of artifice.

How can you be that desperate to avoid talking about a real issue?

I've used those kiosk things in McDonalds and they are so laggy and unresponsive, I'm not surprised he ended up looking the twat trying to use it.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on August 18, 2022, 07:36:08 PMI've used those kiosk things in McDonalds and they are so laggy and unresponsive, I'm not surprised he ended up looking the twat trying to use it.

Also sometimes the bit of paper with your order number on it fails to print so you've got to just remember it in your head which I find hard as I've had a series of strokes from eating too much mcdonalds.

BlodwynPig

Do people still eat McDonalds in our new sunny uplands?

Sebastian Cobb

dunno but anyone out and about early enough to get a mc d's breakfast is a fucking loser imo

kalowski

A mate of mine said of McDonald's breakfasts that they "looked like what would be given to space prisoners" and he was right.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteLiz Truss has been accused of holding up publication of the Foreign Office's annual human rights report because it is likely to contain criticisms of Rwanda's human rights record.

This year's version of the annual assessment of how the UK views other countries' rights records was due before the parliamentary summer recess, and is now the most delayed since the review was launched by the then foreign secretary Robin Cook 21 years ago.

Critics said the impasse could be an attempt to quash criticism of Rwanda, to which the government wants to deport migrants and asylum seekers, or because Truss is focused on the Conservative leadership race, where she is the clear favourite over Rishi Sunak...

The delayed Foreign Office rights report would be expected to include further criticism of Rwanda. The last edition, published in July 2021, said that "critical voices continued to face heavy restrictions" in the country. It also condemned the death in police custody of a reconciliation activist, Kizito Mihigo.

There were regular case studies on Rwanda in all the reports from 2011 to 2014, with criticism of abuses and restrictions...

shoulders

QuoteA source from Sunak's campaign said he had eaten the wraps with his children when they were on the menu: "I think given he's barely seen his kids in the last two-and-a-half years, it's likely he hasn't been to McDonald's in that time."

Hahahahahaha

Yes,  yeah you fucking dunce,  you clap-addled cunts! Sunak mentioned it because he doesn't see his kids for years at a time! Ha! That's totally normal! We win!

Fambo Number Mive

Surprised as I'd imagine the Express were Truss supporters. Perhaps they approve of the plans in the pamphlet she co-authored, judging by the way they call it "radical".

Truss also promoted the report in the media.