Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,491
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:09:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cloud storage for music and film

Started by Hex Triplet, July 10, 2022, 10:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hex Triplet

So, if you could humour an out of touch, old bastard who doesn't use any kind of streaming service whatsoever, and who has about 3Tb of music precariously stuffed into a couple of external harddrives which are probably about to expire any day soon, what is the best way of storing all that shit in a cloud? I know nothing of the cloud. What are the best cloud services? Is it Google? Do I pay? Would like to know as I am getting anxious about losing all of my creaky, rusty mp3s to the ravages of time. Many thanks.

touchingcloth

Microsoft 365 Family gets you 6TB of OneDrive storage for £80/year.

You'd probably be better off buying a couple of 4TB external drives for about the same cost and using one as your primary storage and the other as your backup.

Hex Triplet

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 10, 2022, 11:02:05 AMMicrosoft 365 Family gets you 6TB of OneDrive storage for £80/year.

Thanks, I'll look into this.

QuoteYou'd probably be better off buying a couple of 4TB external drives for about the same cost and using one as your primary storage and the other as your backup.

yeah, I have been replacing HDs / using old ones as storage for a while, I just worry about physical decay/damage. Thought maybe uploading everything to a cloud will keep it 'safe'.

Sebastian Cobb

Office/Dropbox etc is good for simplicity but if you plan on using Plex or something there's an Amazon s3 clone called Wasabi that charges $6/TB/Month with no egress fees making it an ideal cloud store for your own streaming service if that's your bag.

https://chris.theserenos.com/blog/2019/05/28/host-plex-on-aws-and-wasabi/

Although at that sort of money you can probably get a buy in on someone else's massive plex server and have access to all the new films/tv coming out.