Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:05:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Abacus (full PC in a keyboard)

Started by Famous Mortimer, July 12, 2022, 05:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Kickstarter here

Obviously, as I'm not daft, I won't be going near the Kickstarter, but this seems like a good idea, right? Like a Raspberry Pi 400 with a bit more oomph / a built-in mouse.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Sebastian Cobb

Aww bless it looks a bit like a Sinclair QL.

It'll depend on how good the keyboard is I guess but I don't really see the point given how hide-able things like nucs are (you can mount them on the back of your monitor out the way for instance).

The PI 400 isn't really meant for me, given I do use pi's but tend to access them over SSH, but I have to say one glance at the keyboard made me think 'nope'.

seepage

The Z8350 processor is an Atom from 2016! Max memory is 2GB so not sure how they say they've put up to 8GB in.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: seepage on July 16, 2022, 12:53:14 PMThe Z8350 processor is an Atom from 2016! Max memory is 2GB so not sure how they say they've put up to 8GB in.

Low official memory specs that the components happen to be able to exceed seems weirdly common. I was looking at this board for a low-power build but with enough graphics grunt to hardware transcode video for plex/jellyfin and there's this disclaimer at the bottom:
Quote*Memory: The J5040-ITX supports up to 64GB DDR4 memory on 2x DDR4 SODIMMs (up to 32GB each, compatible memory required, yes we know this contradicts the Intel and ASRock websites - email us if you require further evidence!). Fully tested DDR4 SODIMMs are available in the 'you may also require' section. If using one memory module, install into the DDR4_A1 socket. DDR4 is not physically compatible with DDR3 memory.

https://www.mini-itx.com/~J5040-ITX