Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:33:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Friday Night Dinner USA (for actual this time, probably)

Started by Bad Ambassador, July 14, 2022, 01:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Ambassador

https://deadline.com/2022/07/friday-night-dinner-amazon-freevee-1235063476/

After being kicked between writers and producers for about a decade, Dinner with the Parents has been commissioned by Amazon Freevee (an ad-supported free streaming service formerly known as IMDbTV and is effectively the free-to-air wing of Amazon Prime). Jon Beckermann of Knights of Prosperity is to be showrunner. Will it be another Office or another Ghosts? We'll probably never know, as it'll be cancelled before release once again.

JamesTC

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Why the change of title? Is it not going to be set on the Sabbath night?

JamesTC

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 14, 2022, 04:18:27 PMWhy the change of title? Is it not going to be set on the Sabbath night?

Wonder if they don't want it to get mixed up with Friday Night Lights.

C_Larence

Finally a chance for some Jewish representation in an American comedy

MojoJojo

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on July 14, 2022, 01:12:17 PMWill it be another Office or another Ghosts?

I though US Ghosts was supposed to be OK at least - it's got a second season at least.

Sorry to immediately derail to a different sitcom.

Lemming

MojoJojo

This does feel like one where it depends so much on the performances, it's hard to see what the point of copying the format is.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: MojoJojo on July 14, 2022, 05:04:00 PMI though US Ghosts was supposed to be OK at least - it's got a second season at least.

Sorry to immediately derail to a different sitcom.

The first episode was a retread of the UK episode, but it rapidly goes downhill after that. It feels like the writers actively hate their characters - there's none of the warmth or affection from the UK version.

neveragain

Quote from: MojoJojo on July 14, 2022, 05:12:53 PMThis does feel like one where it depends so much on the performances, it's hard to see what the point of copying the format is.

Is there ever a point? Apart from financially, the only valuable remake is one that differs substantially from the original (thus becoming its own thing.)

Thosworth

Quote from: MojoJojo on July 14, 2022, 05:04:00 PMI though US Ghosts was supposed to be OK at least - it's got a second season at least.

Incredibly distracting is that instead of any type of Scandinavian accent, the actor playing the Viking does a perfect imitation of Chris Hemsworth doing a British accent, so basically Thor, and the character is called ... Thor.

guppypie

Quote from: neveragain on July 14, 2022, 08:40:39 PMIs there ever a point? Apart from financially, the only valuable remake is one that differs substantially from the original (thus becoming its own thing.)

There's a bit in Screenwipe USA where an American sitcom writer talks about producers making a safe bet because it works somewhere else. Probably to try and get something like The Office that becomes a massive hit and a streaming juggernaut.

Weirdly it's going to be filmed over here in Reading. The mention of dabbing in the press release doesn't bode well. Also are they sidelining the whole Jewish aspect in an attempt to appeal to a broader audience?

BritishHobo

frajer

BritishHobo

MojoJojo

Quote from: neveragain on July 14, 2022, 08:40:39 PMIs there ever a point? Apart from financially, the only valuable remake is one that differs substantially from the original (thus becoming its own thing.)

Well, is there ever a point for any TV programme beyond a financial one? I think you can definitely argue that remaking something with a big budget and odd regional things that would be a distraction for US viewers scrubbed off.

I'd say Ghosts is a very good candidate for a US remake. Basically the same but with US historical characters instead of British ones.

I guess I feel like there is a bit of undue snobbery about remakes - it's not as if not being a remake is a guarantee of originality is it? I think the entire sitcom industry only manages to produce one new joke a year.

neveragain

Well, I just meant, in terms of a creative endeavour, I don't think it's worthwhile unless you (by which I mean the writing team) can stretch your creative muscles and have enough room to make it your own. Which is why I find the American Office a good example of the remake craft, like it or not it was its own thing and damn successful at that.

Also, I feel you're talking sitcoms down. We need more of them. Be bold, television companies, experiment, offer out more opportunities. Then the good will outweigh the bad. That's only way to ensure their survival.

Do you know there's already a Ghosts remake? It's gone from a candidate to a... successful applicant.

mtpromises

Quote from: MojoJojo on July 15, 2022, 01:01:18 PMI guess I feel like there is a bit of undue snobbery about remakes - it's not as if not being a remake is a guarantee of originality is it? I think the entire sitcom industry only manages to produce one new joke a year.

I keep hearing Coupling is not a remake of Friends and in no way is Worst Week of My Life a remake of Meet the Parents.

I'm looking forward to this.  Tristram  Shaapero is attached to it and he's directed so many of my favorite sitcoms.  His IMDb is really something.

BritishHobo

There often is (outside of here) an uncharitable generalisation about US comedy that doesn't actually reflect the talent of the creators who are usually involved in these remakes.