Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:31:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

MusicBee (PC music player thread)

Started by Famous Mortimer, July 16, 2022, 05:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

So, I've got MusicBee, and I'm going through my old comedy files, CD rips, etc. I've gotten to "I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue", and for some reason about two-thirds of the episodes just aren't appearing in my library. I don't have any filters that I can see.

Yet when I add the individual files, they all work. Does this ring any bells as an issue with anyone else? I presume the files in question have some "tag" issues, but I'm not au fait enough with mp3s to know what that might be, or how to check / fix it. If anyone has any advice, a program that might help me out, I'd be delighted to hear it.

Famous Mortimer

I just ran one series of it through "mp3tag", but that doesn't make them show up either.

Malcy

I tried to use Music Bee a few times but even with mp3tag it always ended up a right mess so gave up. Struggled to find things at times.

Famous Mortimer

What do you use now? I've been happy with it, but it's curious how these files just don't show up.

The Mollusk

Famous Mortimer

The reason I keep this (and used the beloved Swinsian on my Mac) is that it has that thing where you can see your entire library, make tweaks to file names, etc. Something like this:

I'd be happy to switch if Winamp could look like this. But this is just a "which music player do you like?" thing, I'm still hoping someone might know if there's an issue beyond "Musicbee not good".

Malcy

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 16, 2022, 10:02:44 PMWhat do you use now? I've been happy with it, but it's curious how these files just don't show up.

At this stage it's just browsing folders which used to be perfectly arranged but are now over several externals. I just pick something but mostly o ow where stuff is.

Failing that if I can't get off the chair I just put something on from my SoulSeek folder.

My vinyl is the only part of my music collection that's anywhere near organised at the moment. And buying 10 CD's for £1 out the charity shop isn't helping!

Famous Mortimer

Winamp has so far failed to add my library without crashing, so I'm not sure it's going to be that useful.

dontpaintyourteeth

Never had any issues with musicbee personally, one good tip is sending files to inbox before adding to your main library, that way you know where there'll be and can sort out tags etc much more easily

Famous Mortimer

I've never had an issue with it either, up to a few days ago. I've got one folder (and lots of sub-folders) for all my music, and I keep it pretty well organized, so I know where everything is.

Out of over 100,000 files, these ISIHAC episodes are the first ones I've noticed that don't show up in my library. They show up fine in Winamp (before I tried to add my entire library and crashed it), so it doesn't appear to be the fault of the files...

Famous Mortimer

I might have a bash at foobar2000. All I want is a nice list I can sort by file path, maybe a section for album art, and that's about it.

bomb_dog

Try Media Monkey. The free version is pretty good. You can bulk rename files, level volumes, sort out the artwork, and there are various plugins to help with tidying multiple/dead art links, upper/lower/mixed case conversions for tags and file names etc.
Been using it for years, it works really well with large collections too.

touchingcloth

If it's anything like its film and TV siblings (Radarr and Sonarr), then Lidarr ought to be pretty good for bulk tagging, renaming, and re-pathing.

Malcy

Think my biggest issue with MusicBee was the background art. Hilariously wrong at times.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: bomb_dog on July 18, 2022, 05:56:27 PMTry Media Monkey. The free version is pretty good. You can bulk rename files, level volumes, sort out the artwork, and there are various plugins to help with tidying multiple/dead art links, upper/lower/mixed case conversions for tags and file names etc.
Been using it for years, it works really well with large collections too.
I think I even bought MediaMonkey, so I'm not sure why I stopped using it. Ta for reminding me @bomb_dog .

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 18, 2022, 06:00:32 PMIf it's anything like its film and TV siblings (Radarr and Sonarr), then Lidarr ought to be pretty good for bulk tagging, renaming, and re-pathing.
Blimey, that seems like a hell of a clever device. Automatic upgrading of bitrate and all sorts.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 18, 2022, 07:22:40 PMBlimey, that seems like a hell of a clever device. Automatic upgrading of bitrate and all sorts.

Yeah, if you want you can connect it to all of your torrent clients and favourite torrent tracker sites and set it to automatically download stuff when it finds it in the right quality. The TV version lets you follow a series so that it will grab start downloading new episodes as they become available, so probably the music version will let you follow an artist or at the very least have it start looking for an upcoming album release.

I don't use those features personally because my internet isn't fast enough to cope with that amount of downloading, but I've found it particularly helpful for organising my massive poorly named disk of films and shows and getting them all filed properly.

Dex Sawash

Famous Mortimer

Popped MediaMonkey back on, see how it goes.

Famous Mortimer

Still trying to settle on the right one. The one thing MediaMonkey doesn't have is a good tagger, that searches through MusicBrainz or whatever the big listing of all the albums ever is, and then tags the tracks. It has a user-made one, but that's only available for the previous generation of player.

samadriel

This problem reminds me of when I couldn't find my Eyvind Kang stuff in my Media Monkey for Android - I could locate tracks with a search, but they just wouldn't show up in my track list or in any playlists.  It turned out the problem was that, for some reason, Eyvind Kang's tracks were classified as Classical Music, not Music.  When I changed that tag on the affected tracks (not sure if tag is the right word though), it sorted out the issue. Maybe some of your comedy files are set as something Music Bee doesn't want to play ball with?

Famous Mortimer

Cheers @samadriel , I'll have a look at that (if I can figure it out). I discovered from using another music player for a bit that MusicBee also didn't care to show me "Does It Look Like I'm Here?" by Emeralds, which I now realise is an absolute banger.

H-O-W-L

Can't suggest Foobar2000 enough. So easy to modify however ye want it.