Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:47:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Two Ronnies Star Wars parody musical number.

Started by Glebe, July 17, 2022, 09:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on August 05, 2022, 07:41:32 PMJust want to pop in and say RIP to Michael Redfern, who played the barman in what I consider to be the greatest Two Ronnies sketch of all time:

absolutely

Glebe

Oh wait, the Oxo Dad! RIP mate, up there enjoying a lovely oven ready chicken with Lynda Bellingham.

PammySpacek

And then after that he'll put his police uniform on, and go round to Rik Mayall's place to smash up his Human League LP.

Glebe

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 24, 2022, 03:10:51 PM

Corbett looking very Lumsden there!

And here he is joining Barker in doing tricky wordplay gubbins... incredible that this sketch didn't actually make it into the show:

From one of the last Two Rons, Barker still doing his thing to great effect:

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: PammySpacek on August 07, 2022, 11:55:06 AMAnd then after that he'll put his police uniform on, and go round to Rik Mayall's place to smash up his Human League LP.

Surely nobody's played more policemen in comedy.

Glebe

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on July 21, 2022, 08:55:49 AMI found it weird and out-of-character when Barker impersonated Buster Bloodvessel.  Part of the Two Ron's charm was the typical quaint, old-time-musical/music-hall character of their song and dance numbers.

It is strange, not all of their characters and impersonations worked but Barker was a real chameleon. I was watching a repeat of Gold's Britain's Grestest Comedy Character recently, John Thompson talks about watching The Two Rons and Porridge as a kid and being amazed that this kind of well-spoken man with a tidy wave of hair could transform into Norman Stanley Fletcher.

He could have made a career out of being a serous actor if he'd a mind too. Looking on Wiki, he received some high praise from his peers that I'd not seen before:

Quote"I'll tell you who my favourite performer is. Ronnie Barker. Surprised? You shouldn't be. He's really great."

Sir Alec Guinness

Barker became a comic actor in his theatre days, noting "I think it's better to make people laugh than cry." He has been described by The Times as "not a comedian, [but] an actor with a talent for comedy," who "slipped into characters with apparent ease." Barker felt he was funny only in character. The BBC wrote of him: "Able to deliver the great tongue-twisting speeches required of his characters, Barker pronounced himself 'completely boring' without a script." Peter Hall spoke of Barker's skills as a dramatic actor, calling him "the great actor we lost" and lamented that Barker was unable to take a role in one of his Shakespearean productions. Barker, though, preferred comedy, and felt it was "as good and as important as serious work" and he was not "dumbing down" by doing it. Actor Gene Wilder compared him to Charlie Chaplin in saying "no matter how farcical [his performance] was ... there was always an element of reality to what he did." Corbett praised Barker's skill at playing serious authority figures saying absurd things, using Barker's verbal dexterity and energetic performances.

Replies From View

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on August 05, 2022, 07:41:32 PMJust want to pop in and say RIP to Michael Redfern

I'm afraid you are too late.  He is no longer with us.

Matthew Dawkins Jub Jub

I'm of the opinion that The Two Ninnies is the best Two Ronnies sketch, including those made by them.

Willy bum piss.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Matthew Dawkins Jub Jub on August 08, 2022, 01:01:58 PMI'm of the opinion that The Two Ninnies is the best Two Ronnies sketch, including those made by them.

Willy bum piss.

It's actually 'willy bum bum', although 'bum plop piss' does come later.

Probably my best post, this one.

Gurke and Hare

Thistles in me hair and bracken up me anus.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on August 07, 2022, 07:02:39 PMSurely nobody's played more policemen in comedy.

Michael Stainton.

Never the Twain - Police Sergeant
Ever Decreasing Circles - Police Constable
Citizen Smith - Sergeant
Mind Your Language - Police Superintendent
The Upchat Line - Police Sergeant
Yes, Honestly - Speed Cop
Rising Damp - Policeman
The Fenn Street Gang - Policeman
Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads - Policeman
Harry Worth - Police Constable Nutter
The Army Game - Sergeant Barnes

That doesn't include several sketch shows and many non-comedy police roles.

Glebe

Don't forget the Police Sergeant in OFaH's 'Friday the 14th'!

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Glebe on August 08, 2022, 02:47:25 PMDon't forget the Police Sergeant in OFaH's 'Friday the 14th'!

Oh aye! There are probably several others.

Glebe

On a non-copper note, he played the dad ("Bootface"!) in Metal Mickey!

Matthew Dawkins Jub Jub

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on August 08, 2022, 01:49:36 PMIt's actually 'willy bum bum', although 'bum plop piss' does come later.

Probably my best post, this one.

WHOOPS! TIDDLER DILDO!

Catalogue Trousers

Cold Meat Platter

My favourite bit of the parody:

"Spent all day just crawling through the grass
Thistles in me hair and bracken up me anus"

Replies From View

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on August 08, 2022, 02:27:54 PMMichael Stainton.

Never the Twain - Police Sergeant
Ever Decreasing Circles - Police Constable
Citizen Smith - Sergeant
Mind Your Language - Police Superintendent
The Upchat Line - Police Sergeant
Yes, Honestly - Speed Cop
Rising Damp - Policeman
The Fenn Street Gang - Policeman
Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads - Policeman
Harry Worth - Police Constable Nutter
The Army Game - Sergeant Barnes

That doesn't include several sketch shows and many non-comedy police roles.

Typecast there lad