Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:08:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Graham Linehan's Ongoing Transphobia: "The Father Ted Musical Was My Pension"

Started by Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse, July 19, 2022, 10:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Applemask on August 08, 2022, 10:23:58 PMthey might actually win against all reason

They wouldn't win - they'd say they won, JKR would congratulate them and then the Daily Mail, The Times and The Telegraph would print it as a win.

Elfking

To add to my last post about wishing the country was normal...

Something I've only recently thought about is how insular transphobes are. They do not talk about the places that have more progressive society for trans people because if they did their audience might notice the world hasn't ended there. Trans ministers, extremely liberal gender laws, neutral bathrooms and everything else.

You would think from the way they talk that everywhere is the same but in reality all these other progressive countries are having no problems with trans people being, well, trans.

Mister Six

Quote from: Better Midlands on August 08, 2022, 09:16:06 PM

Yeah, they definitely don't believe that, because it's some bollocks you just invented to upset people, you awful cunts.

Zero Gravitas

It is a great bit to read that as a threat though, doubly so it being a threat from Wickes, hard to imagine topping that.

Kankurette

Quote from: Elfking on August 09, 2022, 12:48:56 AMTo add to my last post about wishing the country was normal...

Something I've only recently thought about is how insular transphobes are. They do not talk about the places that have more progressive society for trans people because if they did their audience might notice the world hasn't ended there. Trans ministers, extremely liberal gender laws, neutral bathrooms and everything else.

You would think from the way they talk that everywhere is the same but in reality all these other progressive countries are having no problems with trans people being, well, trans.
And funnily enough, countries that are hostile to trans people tend to be a bit shit on human rights.

Wonder if the trans lot are going to buy a load of plasterboard and grouting out of solidarity like the other lot and Tunnocks.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on August 09, 2022, 09:11:03 AMWonder if the trans lot are going to buy a load of plasterboard and grouting out of solidarity like the other lot and Tunnocks.

Rawlplugs in the bio.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on August 09, 2022, 09:11:03 AMWonder if the trans lot are going to buy a load of plasterboard and grouting out of solidarity like the other lot and Tunnocks.

If you ever go round the house of a trans/non-binary pal and their gaff is uncharacteristically spick and span, you'll know why.

Sonny_Jim

DIY is anti-lesbian.
EDIT: From an article on the SGB written by someone who isn't Glinner.  It's about an 'activist' who witnessed the 'shocking TRA behaviour' at a Drag Queen Story Hour protest:

QuoteIn the meantime, I'm just horrified at the whole mess. The content of the event itself, the TRA pushing harder than ever to indoctrinate kids under the veneer of homosexual equality, and now the tediously predictable alt-right that pop up like toxic weebles the second they think it's cool to call gays paedos again. It's the least satisfactory 'we told you so!' ever, and the sheer dishonesty about feminists being right-wing fascist homophobes is extraordinarily tiresome. We are clearly not the same.
'Why does our movement keep attracting bigoted dickheads?' a TERF wonders out loud.

EDIT2:  From 'Glinners Twitter'
QuoteHope it's ok to steal this from Bari Weiss's Substack
You'd think a BAFTA award winning writer would probably know that you can actually just ask that person if you can copy their stuff wholesale.

Also he's shared an Independent article that's negative toward Sandi Toksvig.  No idea why, I guess he occasionally still flicks the telly on and flies into an impotent rage when he sees Sandi having a lovely old career.

retsuza

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on August 09, 2022, 09:17:48 AMWikes's own brand paint is surprisingly decent

Have a filmmaker friend who refuses to paint because you can't just change sets.

Dr Rock

Sonny_Jim

In microcontrollers (and software too), there's this idea of a master and slave relationship, in that one devices is the 'master' and the others are configured to be 'slaves', which talk to the master to find out what work they need to do.  There was an effort to rename the terms to something a little less 'slavey' but as far as I can tell it went nowhere.  I hope Graham starts a campaign to rename bits of wire.

Quote from: Dr Rock on August 09, 2022, 10:18:06 AMWait til the terfs get a load of these male-to-female cables

Drag queens indoctrinating our 15 pin D-sub connectors.

phantom_power

Quote from: Better Midlands on August 08, 2022, 09:16:06 PM

Is that any different from the LGB Alliance denying the existence of gay and lesbian trans people?

Quote from: Mister Six on August 08, 2022, 08:48:41 PMOf course, this was a tiny number of people in very niche identity politics groups full of very intense and permanently online nerds (much like myself), and not representative of most trans people, but TERFs do like to inflate the relevance of small, unrepresentative groups to instil fear/anger/revulsion (see also: detransitioners), and that's what's happened here.

That's the thing. Most "trans allies" aren't specifically trans allies. They are people who believe that other people should have the freedom to be and do what they want, as long as it doesn't impinge on other people's rights and freedoms. This naturally extends to who you choose to have sex with.

I suppose there is an argument that straight men not wanting to sleep with trans women is transphobic, but it is so low level and affects so few people that it is very low on the list of things that need addressing in the battle for trans, and every other kind of, equality

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Pimhole on August 08, 2022, 10:14:46 PMCan't believe she's a lawyer. Literally can't believe it. She must have had decent critical faculties at some point. Her brains are utterly scrambled.

I'd like to think the Solicitors Regulation Authority takes a serious line on solicitors who crowdfund donations and don't clearly account for what they spend them on, as you would think dishonesty is a pretty bad thing in a solicitor who is often required to hold clients' money. But they could just brush it under the carpet. Not sure if just anyone can complain about her to them, or you have to have engaged her services.

boki

Quote from: Pimhole on August 08, 2022, 10:14:46 PMCan't believe she's a lawyer. Literally can't believe it. She must have had decent critical faculties at some point. Her brains are utterly scrambled.
She's quite the puzzle. You don't get into that kind of position by being as thick as she acts.  Being manipulative, on the other hand, would be a useful trait. 

That said, being a reasonably intelligent and largely competent person doesn't mean you won't have blind spots in your faculties.  As one of them neurodivergent people wot they have these days, I'm mortifyingly reminded of this on a regular basis.

I just can't help thinking it's a bit of Column A and a bit of Column B in her case.  That ridiculous tale of the Wispa bar keeps coming back to mind.  Who in their right mind would come up with that?

retsuza

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on August 09, 2022, 10:29:16 AMIn microcontrollers (and software too), there's this idea of a master and slave relationship, in that one devices is the 'master' and the others are configured to be 'slaves', which talk to the master to find out what work they need to do.  There was an effort to rename the terms to something a little less 'slavey' but as far as I can tell it went nowhere.  I hope Graham starts a campaign to rename bits of wire.

Think the problem was there was too many competing suggested alternatives, and some of them aren't that good:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master/slave_(technology)#Possible_replacement_conventions

Which brings to mind this issue:

When it was suggested in a meeting at work that maybe we should consider not invoking slavery I said It's politcal correct wokery gone mad and steam started pouring out of my ears and my face went bright red.

That or I just said yeah, sure.

idunnosomename

Twitter has been helpful in showing us that even QCs can be thick with a screw loose. Frequently are.

Jolyon who bats for the other side isnt much better. Deserves the roasting he gets for the Boxing Day fox tweet

Ex_GC

Quote from: boki on August 09, 2022, 11:05:28 AMShe's quite the puzzle. You don't get into that kind of position by being as thick as she acts.  Being manipulative, on the other hand, would be a useful trait. 

That said, being a reasonably intelligent and largely competent person doesn't mean you won't have blind spots in your faculties.  As one of them neurodivergent people wot they have these days, I'm mortifyingly reminded of this on a regular basis.

I just can't help thinking it's a bit of Column A and a bit of Column B in her case.  That ridiculous tale of the Wispa bar keeps coming back to mind.  Who in their right mind would come up with that?

And being academically intelligent/ book smart is not the same as street smart

Applemask

Quote from: Better Midlands on August 08, 2022, 10:48:59 PMThey wouldn't win - they'd say they won, JKR would congratulate them and then the Daily Mail, The Times and The Telegraph would print it as a win.
Yeah, that's basically what I mean. Society of the Spectacle and that.

Dr Rock

As founder of the LGB Alliance, I wonder if Ms Bailey takes a salary?

DreadedScotsman

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on August 09, 2022, 10:29:16 AM
Drag queens indoctrinating our 15 pin D-sub connectors.

I used to work in Maplin and it was a fairly regular occurrence to have customers asking for these things and 9 times out of 10 would call them gender benders regardless of how many times we'd correct them

frajer

Linehan tells cult members to be wary of internet grifters. But please continue to financially support him, won't you? Bar tab at Ten Bells is due.

Ex_GC

Haha is that a reference to 'Marion Millar'? Somehow I doubt it

His use of 'Vichy feminists' has turned my stomach. How dare he

The Late Satoru Iwata

Pimhole

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on August 09, 2022, 03:59:32 AMIt is a great bit to read that as a threat though, doubly so it being a threat from Wickes, hard to imagine topping that.

What's the most ridiculous slogan that could be disingenuously read as a threat?

The Late Satoru Iwata

Quote from: Pimhole on August 09, 2022, 12:39:33 PMWhat's the most ridiculous slogan that could be disingenuously read as a threat?

"Have it your way"