Support CaB

Subscribers don't see this.

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,008,249
  • Total Topics: 95,386
  • Online Today: 633
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

August 18, 2022, 02:51:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

never seen Look Around You

Started by madhair60, July 21, 2022, 01:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

can't really be arsed, is it good?

Ascent


Captain Z

Yes.

You could have watched the entire first series in around 90 minutes from now.

Took me a while to get over my disappointment that Series 2 went with a different format, but now I believe it to be equal, if not superior to the first.

Old Nehamkin

Yeah. Series 1 is more or less a perfect thing. Series 2 is a bit more scattershot but still frequently very very funny.

The Mollusk

Fucking sort it out pal, get it watched

petril

watch out for the continuity of

Spoiler alert
the ghost in Ghosts is the professor from Germs, who didn't make it
[close]

Edgar Balloon III

I adored the first series, but just about tolerate the second.

Series one felt like each each episode had thirty minutes worth of material crammed into a ten minute running time, but series two felt like barely ten minutes worth of material stretched out over thirty minutes. I remember the vegetable orchestra section being especially laugh free and seeming to drag on for a very long time.

I thought the best part of series two was the Birds of Britain part in the last episode, which is when it's most similar to series one.

I remember reading a quote from Robert Popper in which he said they loved the style of the first series and had a load of new scripts written in the same style, but that the BBC weren't interested in a ten minute show and they couldn't get it to work at thirty minutes. The first I remember hearing about the second series, they were going to have a study break in the middle, so maybe they were trying to combine two and pad it out to fill the thirty minute slot? Shame they've not taken it to a streaming service, where the runtime doesn't matter.

Petey Pate

Series 1 is one of the best comedy shows of all time and one of the finest parodies ever produced. Second series has its moments but nowhere near the same level.

This seems to be the 'CaB consensus', so is there anyone out there who prefers series 2?

boki

Quote from: madhair60 on July 21, 2022, 01:13:01 PMcan't really be arsed
In that case, I am sending round a man to slice off your arse.  You are to admit him to your home and he is to do the deed unobstructed.  Any deviation will be Dealt With.

daf

Roughly :
Series 1 : 1970's Open University / Programmes for Schools & Colleges
Series 2 : 1980's Tomorrow's World

"in the meantime, thank you, ants.........thants."


bgmnts

Uhhh I absolutely hated it so yeah don't watch this.

madhair60

Quote from: bgmnts on July 21, 2022, 03:27:46 PMUhhh I absolutely hated it so yeah don't watch this.

yeah I watched four minutes of the first one and didn't even smile, so chalking up to another nostalgia fave for creaking old CaB

bgmnts

Oh I really like so was trying some bgmnts patented reverse psychology.

I actually like some of the random shit they do on YouTube, the line "they haven't had the life force fucked into them yet" is up there as one of my biggest laughs

Thosworth

#14
Quote from: Petey Pate on July 21, 2022, 02:33:16 PMSeries 1 is one of the best comedy shows of all time and one of the finest parodies ever produced. Second series has its moments but nowhere near the same level.

This seems to be the 'CaB consensus', so is there anyone out there who prefers series 2?

Me. Series one was consistently funny. Series two was far more uneven in funniness, but the funniest parts were far funnier.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth


Pimhole

The online content was really good (and quite a novelty at the time) and is still available https://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/lookaroundyou/series1/periodic.shtml

The way they noticed the popularity of the "Thank you, ants... thants" line and utterly flogged it into the ground in the most unfunny way in S2 really pissed me off and is a huge black mark against S2, which was never as funny anyway. Like, it doesn't even make sense that Peter Packard would say something like that, he's a professional TV presenter, not some ageing voiceover guy going slowly potty. Gah.

Reminded me of how the very best sketch of Little Britain (TV versh) S1 - Pirate Memory Game - which was a rare one-off, non-recurring sketch - got a similar amount of love... so Lucas & Walliams flogged it into the earth's core in subsequent series. YOU'VE RUINED IT NOW.

studpuppet

Quote from: daf on July 21, 2022, 03:19:37 PM"in the meantime, thank you, ants.........thants."

Even if there was no other reason to watch it, there's this.


idunnosomename

yeah i think i held more against series 2 for ruining THANTS more than anything else. Thants and Blants. That's it should ever have been

Pink Gregory

Water, water, what hast thou done'st

the song is in the key of s

"hello?" it's the brain

they're there in their room

only seen S2 once and I watched Josie D'Arby on SmArt when I was a little Gregory so it weirded me out that she could do such an effective parody of that BBC children's presenter house style.


Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Pimhole on July 21, 2022, 04:35:37 PMThe way they noticed the popularity of the "Thank you, ants... thants" line and utterly flogged it into the ground in the most unfunny way in S2 really pissed me off and is a huge black mark against S2, which was never as funny anyway. Like, it doesn't even make sense that Peter Packard would say something like that, he's a professional TV presenter, not some ageing voiceover guy going slowly potty. Gah.


Was Nigel Lambert going slightly potty though? I took it as just common usage in the language of the odd LAY universe, hence Peter Packard saying it in LAY 2. Repeating this gag was hardly that intrusive in the second series and certainly not worth getting pissed off about such a minor detail.

Write that down.


DrGreggles

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 21, 2022, 07:05:25 PMWas Nigel Lambert going slightly potty though? I took it as just common usage in the language of the odd LAY universe, hence Peter Packard saying it in LAY 2. Repeating this gag was hardly that intrusive in the show and certainly not worth getting pissed off about such a minor detail.

Worth it for the pay-off anyway

Mister Six

Quote from: Edgar Balloon IIII remember reading a quote from Robert Popper in which he said they loved the style of the first series and had a load of new scripts written in the same style, but that the BBC weren't interested in a ten minute show and they couldn't get it to work at thirty minutes. The first I remember hearing about the second series, they were going to have a study break in the middle, so maybe they were trying to combine two and pad it out to fill the thirty minute slot? Shame they've not taken it to a streaming service, where the runtime doesn't matter.

I wondered if they tried Adult Swim? It screened on there in the US, and 10-minute shows are their forte. LAY is right up their alley in terms of humour too. Maybe too British to warrant actually producing, though?

The Mollusk

The scientist's hand reaching in the beaker of increasingly boiling water to retrieve the egg and looking more scorched and blistered every time is a very enduring image. So grimly funny.

Also goes without saying but the production style of series 1 in particular, especially with the music Serafinowicz produced under the name Gelg, is so singularly brilliant. A perfectly contained little world.


Ambient Sheep

Quote from: madhair60 on July 21, 2022, 03:31:23 PMyeah I watched four minutes of the first one and didn't even smile, so chalking up to another nostalgia fave for creaking old CaB

Rubbish.  Keep watching.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Edgar Balloon III on July 21, 2022, 02:18:15 PMSeries one felt like each each episode had thirty minutes worth of material crammed into a ten minute running time, but series two felt like barely ten minutes worth of material stretched out over thirty minutes. I remember the vegetable orchestra section being especially laugh free and seeming to drag on for a very long time.

Very well put.


Quote from: Edgar Balloon III on July 21, 2022, 02:18:15 PMI remember reading a quote from Robert Popper in which he said they loved the style of the first series and had a load of new scripts written in the same style, but that the BBC weren't interested in a ten minute show and they couldn't get it to work at thirty minutes.

Yeah, I've heard this too.  Criminal.  Stupid BBC.

Captain Z

Here is model of an iron molecule. And here is a model of a model of an iron molecule, modelled in iron. Man has been using iron since the stone age...

Virgo76

Quote from: madhair60 on July 21, 2022, 03:31:23 PMyeah I watched four minutes of the first one and didn't even smile, so chalking up to another nostalgia fave for creaking old CaB
Four minutes??? At least try a full episode.
Probably depends on whether you remember 70s and 80s Schools programmes of not.
I loved the first series. Just brilliant.

The Late Satoru Iwata

Quote from: Captain Z on July 21, 2022, 07:59:08 PMHere is model of an iron molecule. And here is a model of a model of an iron molecule, modelled in iron. Man has been using iron since the stone age...
It's called pig iron, because it's manufactured by pigs.

and, in a similar delivery: We're using AC/DC because it's heavy metal.