Support CaB

Subscribers don't see this.

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

August 18, 2022, 02:45:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

never seen Look Around You

Started by madhair60, July 21, 2022, 01:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

Quote from: bgmnts on July 21, 2022, 03:27:46 PMUhhh I absolutely hated it so yeah don't watch this.

Write that down in your copy books

Quote from: Replies From View on July 22, 2022, 09:59:27 AMSeries 2 annoyed me with its bouts of self-conscious whimsy.  If they'd played it straight, and had absurdity without the strained wackiness, it would have been much stronger.  Using the Tomorrow's World format was a good idea but they bungled it.

this is the right opinion

the internet does series 2 favours because its best parts work well as short clips. as a follow up to such a well formed perfect thing, its a painful whiff of a great concept. to make the Tomorrow's World concept work they needed to be more subtle than the first series not the opposite. then when something like Machadaynu happens BIG LAUGHS

Replies From View

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on July 22, 2022, 06:28:07 AMSynthesizer Patel is on of the most endearing one-off characters ever and I think about him all the time and both series of this are excellent. Took me longer for series 1 to click but it is arguably the better one. I'm not familiar with any of the parody sources so don't let that put you off, it's really not the case that it's only funny because it looks like something else. The jokes, names, tone and mindset are all incredible.

And it's CLIVE Pounds!

It saddens me that there are people who never experienced the kinds of educational programming that spawned series 1 of LAY.

You have missed out an entire chunk of base-level human experience, and as such will quite probably never become fully formed.

retsuza

Absolutely loved this when I discovered it like 15 years ago

The scientist scalding the fuck out of his hand trying to reach into boiling water to get an egg, and its red raw in the next shot lol.

Remember crying laughing at the calcium pile being teleported hundreds of miles away in the helium experiment, but I've just rewatched it and not very funny.

So maybe you would have enjoyed it better in like 2005 I guess.

ETA:
Ok the first bit is actually still hilarious and I forgot that I used to think of the watch out fot the albumen - it's out now anytime I made boiled eggs

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: madhair60 on July 22, 2022, 08:52:02 AMI shall be as silly as I please as often and for as long as I please

And no one shall support you in that endeavour more than I.

Love that albumen joke. So very ridiculously specific.

Season 2 has one of my favourite bits though, the "Big C" casserole restaurant.

The visual image of
Spoiler alert
all the casserole shit splattering messily out of the pipe onto the plate
[close]
still leaves me in stitches.

Can't find a clip online, but here are the TV highlights for this coming St Frankenstein's Day.

non capisco

Quote from: purlieu on July 22, 2022, 11:04:47 AMI absolutely adore this, one of my favourite Popper/Serafinowicz things. From the incorrect timing to the weird pronunciation right at the start, it's just incredible. I do think they're better at that kind of thing rather than the longform studio presentation style, which might be why the 'filler' sections of LAY2 are among my favourites, like the episode that starts with a rundown of what's in the pop charts at the time.

The foreboding intonations on the public information film spoof are spot on. "You meet on the mooooors..."

Captain Z

I agree that Series 1 is a lot more subtle and is likely to be more enjoyable when you spot the uncommented background/continuity gags for yourself. For example in "Iron", when a quick cut to the lab scientist shows him putting on handcuffs to demonstrate one use of the metal. During a later experiment the scientist is still wearing the cuffs, thus has to keep his hands very close together. While the camera shows a close up of the experiment, you hear a grinding noise in the background and the scientist returns still wearing them, but with the chain cut.

I still think Series 2 gives me a very healthy number of laughs per episode. An huge effort has gone into sight gags that are on screen for less than a second, e.g. some of the newspaper articles and product brand names, or The National Sleep Research Centre, where a woman is painting a picture in her sleep. Cut to a shot of the canvas, where she has painted a picture of herself painting in her sleep. And what a cast - Serafinowicz, Popper, Josie D'Arby, Olivia Coleman, Mitchell & Webb, Pegg & Frost, Lucas & Walliams, Harry Enfield, Benedict Wong, Mark Heap, Kevin Eldon, Paul Putner, Adam Buxton...

purlieu

Quote from: Darles Chickens on July 22, 2022, 12:14:01 PMhere are the TV highlights for this coming St Frankenstein's Day.

"Hanley Heath Castle is closed due to refurbishment of scullery. However, visitors may use periscope on fence to view..."
I love that there are jokes in a Ceefax page that's on screen for about a second.

TommyTurnips

I watched this recently and medibot went down well in my household, everyone clapped. Did anyone spot the very brief Glinner cameo and the slightly less brief cameo from Helen Serefinny?

Quote from: purlieu on July 22, 2022, 01:52:17 PM"Hanley Heath Castle is closed due to refurbishment of scullery. However, visitors may use periscope on fence to view..."
I love that there are jokes in a Ceefax page that's on screen for about a second.

Given how meticulous they are, I'm almost surprised they didn't choose a real date from the early 80s (the only Fri 3rd March is in 1989, yes I looked...)

petril

Quote from: Captain Z on July 22, 2022, 12:48:41 PMI agree that Series 1 is a lot more subtle and is likely to be more enjoyable when you spot the uncommented background/continuity gags for yourself. For example in "Iron", when a quick cut to the lab scientist shows him putting on handcuffs to demonstrate one use of the metal. During a later experiment the scientist is still wearing the cuffs, thus has to keep his hands very close together. While the camera shows a close up of the experiment, you hear a grinding noise in the background and the scientist returns still wearing them, but with the chain cut.

I still think Series 2 gives me a very healthy number of laughs per episode. An huge effort has gone into sight gags that are on screen for less than a second, e.g. some of the newspaper articles and product brand names, or The National Sleep Research Centre, where a woman is painting a picture in her sleep. Cut to a shot of the canvas, where she has painted a picture of herself painting in her sleep. And what a cast - Serafinowicz, Popper, Josie D'Arby, Olivia Coleman, Mitchell & Webb, Pegg & Frost, Lucas & Walliams, Harry Enfield, Benedict Wong, Mark Heap, Kevin Eldon, Paul Putner, Adam Buxton...

the dymo labelled bottles at the start are always good

Meths, Moths, Maths

and Rock, Metal, Earth, Wind, Fire from Music

McDead

Quote from: Captain Z on July 22, 2022, 12:48:41 PM. And what a cast - Serafinowicz, Popper, Josie D'Arby, Olivia Coleman, Mitchell & Webb, Pegg & Frost, Lucas & Walliams, Harry Enfield, Benedict Wong, Mark Heap, Kevin Eldon, Paul Putner, Adam Buxton...

And lest we forget, Mark Fenton Stevens as the "omm"-ing head of ROPRA.

I think both series are great, but they're very different shows. Series 2 seems in hindsight to be a something of a halfway house between the low key detail humour of series 1 and the bolder, splashier silliness of the Peter Serafinowicz Show.

neveragain

I love a good list, but I don't think Simon Pegg or Robert Webb are in Series 2. (Pegg does appear as a split-second sleeping guard in Series 1.)

Quote from: non capisco on July 22, 2022, 12:17:20 PMThe foreboding intonations on the public information film spoof are spot on. "You meet on the mooooors..."

"The man did say he'd washed it...but how do you know?"

Captain Z

Quote from: neveragain on July 22, 2022, 02:47:58 PMI love a good list, but I don't think Simon Pegg or Robert Webb are in Series 2. (Pegg does appear as a split-second sleeping guard in Series 1.)

Simon Pegg is in the Jenny Toothpaste advert in "Health": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgAp5aqUhXw

I was mistaken with Webb, I thought he was David Mitchell's inventor partner but now I see that wasn't the case.

PammySpacek

Quote from: Pimhole on July 21, 2022, 04:35:37 PMThe way they noticed the popularity of the "Thank you, ants... thants" line and utterly flogged it into the ground in the most unfunny way in S2 really pissed me off and is a huge black mark against S2

Except it was part of a series-long buildup that resulted in a punchline involving two BBC security guards called Hank.

Spoiler alert
"Thanks, Hanks...

...thanks."
[close]

Pimhole

Quote from: PammySpacek on July 22, 2022, 03:18:47 PMExcept it was part of a series-long buildup that resulted in a punchline involving two BBC security guards called Hank.

Spoiler alert
"Thanks, Hanks...

...thanks."
[close]

Which, by the time it arrived, was painfully obvious. And I had been saying it every time I saw Tom Hanks in anything for ages already.

Ah, S2 is fine. I'M OVER IT.

Pete23

Quote from: Darles Chickens on July 22, 2022, 12:14:01 PMCan't find a clip online, but here are the TV highlights for this coming St Frankenstein's Day.


Some great comments under that youtube video:
  • "Tlentifini Maarhaysu used to scare the shit out of me when I was a kid. I hate how St. Frankenstein's Day has become so commercialised these days. It's just an excuse to sell masks and bolts."
  • "This was back in the day when you could say Happy Frankenstein's without any triggered snowflake PC police on your back about it. I don't care what anyone says, I refuse to say Merry Shelleydays."

Pink Gregory

The Honey Programme with David Bumblebee

for fuck's sake, howling

Blumf

Quote from: Pimhole on July 22, 2022, 03:50:15 PMWhich, by the time it arrived, was painfully obvious. And I had been saying it every time I saw Tom Hanks in anything for ages already.




The Series 2 DVD was a bit light on extras compared to the first one, but the Scary Picture one was superb:


Tikwid

Quote from: Darles Chickens on July 22, 2022, 12:14:01 PMSeason 2 has one of my favourite bits though, the "Big C" casserole restaurant.
"basically and if you're gonna TURN UP LATE, five minutes late..."

Brundle-Fly


neveragain

Quote from: Captain Z on July 22, 2022, 03:08:48 PMSimon Pegg is in the Jenny Toothpaste advert in "Health": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgAp5aqUhXw

Ah I forgot about that ad. Great cast, as you said.

Magnum Valentino

Did anyone else do Scary Picture the right way and get the shit scared out of them? It's still great in YouTube but not as good as doing it 'for real'.

Bennett Brauer


idunnosomename

the original CaB thread is quite a thing. everybody recoiled initially but then found things to like with it. then it turns into a weird debate how how 1984 was different to 1987 but Mark Heap is the devil.

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=6470.0

lol people saying "I missed it, looking at the Radio Times website to find when it's repeated" lol. (the iPlayer didn't launch until December 2007)

anyway some talk there about a series 3 that would parody 1990s TV like Tommorrow's World. I'd love something done with a Going Live/Adam and Joe's People Place vibe.

of course Look Around You S1 is now twenty years old, which is very nearly as old as the stuff it was parodying was back then (I always think it's kinda like, '78 or so)

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on July 22, 2022, 07:54:45 PMDid anyone else do Scary Picture the right way and get the shit scared out of them? It's still great in YouTube but not as good as doing it 'for real'.

Yes!