Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:49:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ladhood (Series 3)

Started by The Lurker, July 22, 2022, 01:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lurker

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Shame, but it makes sense. The lads are all probably older than Liam Williams by now.

Ja'moke

I didn't know it had been given a third series, to be honest, so this is welcome news for me. Such a good show.

BritishHobo

Yes! Love it. I suppose it makes sense - I know the radio show dipped into uni-life and post-uni-life a bit, but it is Ladhood, and the TV version has covered that with the modern day stuff. This version seems much more centred on the one gang as well, and I guess they're aging out of it. Yer man who plays Craggy has been popping up in a lot of stuff, he was great in Ali and Ava and also Four Lives, the drama about Stephen Port's murders.

God I'll miss it though. Be interesting to see what Liam does next. I would love more Pls Like, but could understand if he's done with that as well.

The Lurker

The last episode of Pls Like felt fairly final to me. But, then again, I did think that of the last episode of the first series - although I suppose at that point there was no guarantee of a another series.

The Lurker

Heads up, new series to air this Monday on BBC3 at 10pm

BritishHobo

Yeeeeees, bring it on! Cheers for the heads up!

This is all on the iPlayer now. Cor!

bobloblaw

enjoying it as ever, loving spending time with Liam's parents and the presumably legally-inspired Pizza Tent / Frankie & Bennie's gag.

Is the headteacher breaking the fourth wall a new thing? don't remember anyone other than adult Liam doing any of that

BritishHobo

Yeah I don't think that's happened before. Good fun!

Up to episode 3, still as excellent as ever. I love the notes of anger he's able to get into the present day bits. Like
Spoiler alert
the horrible gambling woman casually mentioning she's taking the gambling harm select committee out for lunch.
[close]

The ongoing plot of
Spoiler alert
Liam's parents (superbly played by two often-seen but underrated comedy actors) trying to tempt him back home has me unexpectedly excited. There's a sweet potential ending that could lead to, which I would properly love to see.
[close]

BritishHobo

Finished now - perfect landing. A part of me was hoping
Spoiler alert
we would get to see the other three lads as adults.
But I know that's sort of the point, that it's left unseen. It works far better of course - which is why Liam Williams is a writer and I'm not - that his problems aren't all going to be solved magically by moving back and reforming the gang. The little TV revelation really hit me, and I did enjoy seeing Liam's London mates encounter someone from back home. Everything about the show is so well-observed, but I particularly loved Liam having this sense that his return from the big city is going to make waves, and being told he's essentially irrelevant up there.
[close]

Gonna miss this show a lot. Very excited to see what Williams does next though, especially if Pls Like is done as well.

Ja'moke

Spoiler alert
Dandelion and Burdock fridge
[close]

I think this was lighter on laughs than the previous two series but I still absolutely loved it.

I sighed when I realised we were going to have a "bad trip" episode but I thought it was done brilliantly, especially
Spoiler alert
the Take That performance at the end.
[close]

Up there with Big Boys as my favourite TV comedies of the last few years.

The Lurker

Spoiler alert
Can only really echo what's already been said. I was initially a bit disappointed we didn't see his friends in the future but I suppose it's a better point that your friends from school are not going to be in your life forever, even though you think they are
[close]

Excellent send off. Loved the scenes with
Spoiler alert
Steve Pemberton
[close]
, especially the
Spoiler alert
'anti-woke'
[close]
reveal in the last episode.

Thought the speech to his school at the end of episode 4 was deeply affecting. Liam Williams really does have a fantastic knack for describing the demoralising effects of capitalism.

Captain Z

I've just watched all 3 series for the first time and thought it was very good. Have enjoyed Liam Williams' performances in quite a few things now but I knew very little about his background - is/was he really such an angry depressive as portrayed in Ladhood, or is it a somewhat fictionalised re-telling of his young life? It just strikes me now that every other character I've seen him play (Pls Like, Stath Lets Flats, Friday Night Dinner) has these traits.

Otisberg

He's so bad in Friday Night Dinner, though. That Lord Luck episode is totally derailed by how bad his acting is.

Blinder Data

I enjoyed this but not as much previous series. It was v much focussed on young Liam at the expense of the lads getting up to mischief together, which is what made me love it in the first place. The three of them are hilarious and felt underused - probably why this series felt light on laughs, as a previous poster said.

Still, it was good. The speech at the school/Cambridge interview was a highlight. Rupert elicited genuine sympathy during the last episode when he talked about Jeremy Kyle. And Tinhead never fails to raise a chuckle or two.

ProvanFan

Across the three series, so much of this hit close to home that frankly it's a bit sus.