Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:32:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

great films with one notably shite performance

Started by Greg Torso, July 24, 2022, 12:03:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Torso

An American Werewolf In London

directed by a cunt

shite performance: kid in park when he wakes up naked in a zoo.

WHY WOULD A THIEF WANT TO GIVE ME TWO POUNDS

sort it out, don't give a shit if it's a kid, don't tell me they didn't have kid actors in 1980 sort it fucking out, get somone on the crew's kid, any child, someone passing by, the krankies, don't tell me they weren't fully active

A NAKED AMERICAN MAN STOLE MY BALLOON

dontpaintyourteeth

Stephen Lack in Scanners and, briefly, Dead Ringers. What did you see in him, Mr Cronenberg?

BJBMK2

Jeroen Krabbe as the baddie in The Living Daylights.

I don't think I'd go so far as to call it a shite performance. But he does seem to be acting in a different film to everyone else. Most of the cast, Dalton et all, are playing it more subdued, subtle, whereas Koskov feels like a villian still stuck in the Roger Moore era.

I mean, he does a happy dance at one point, when he thinks his plans worked...

George White

The character never feels like  a villain, but as the comic relief, but then that film almost feels like it's downplaying Joe Don Baker.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on July 24, 2022, 12:55:23 AMStephen Lack in Scanners and, briefly, Dead Ringers. What did you see in him, Mr Cronenberg?
More like Steven Lacks acting skill arf arf arf

Deeply odd performance to the point of seeming intentional

Twit 2

The landlord in Naked. Greg Crutwell. Greg Cantactwell more like?!

Dex Sawash

If we can stretch this to Film I watched + performance that I jus5 didn't like in a film that I otherwise didn't mind.

Willem Dafoe in Boondock Saints

George White

The princesses in all the Bill and Teds (except Bogus - Sarah Trigger as Jo).
I like Diane Franklin in other things, but she's not really convincing as a medieval princess, they're more like ren fair beach babes. The characters are really a gag anyway to stop the boys from being queer coded.

Ruta Lee in Witness for the Prosecution

Marcus D'Amico as Willie the Cockney Idaho lad in Superman II

Ewan Stewart in Titanic

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on July 24, 2022, 12:55:23 AMStephen Lack in Scanners and, briefly, Dead Ringers. What did you see in him, Mr Cronenberg?

big time this. honestly makes scanners unbearable to watch and i looooove croney

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on July 24, 2022, 12:55:23 AMStephen Lack in Scanners

Those big, spaced-out eyes of his are really good for the part of a man tormented by abilities he doesn't understand.

the science eel

Quote from: Twit 2 on July 24, 2022, 09:40:47 AMThe landlord in Naked. Greg Crutwell. Greg Cantactwell more like?!

Terrible, yeah. But Mike Leigh has form with this.

Magnum Valentino

Tarantino in Pulp Fiction and Django Unchained. One because he's trying, one because he isn't.

sevendaughters

watched Sunset Blvd the other day and wasn't so taken with the male lead, William Holden. He wasn't shite I guess but he seems to sort of disappear against the big performances around him. Fred McMurray would have been better, but I think he'd burned bridges with Wilder by then.

I wanted to slice the landlord's throat in Naked, so job done.

jobotic

I'm sure this is the most unoriginal opinion ever offered, but despite being English Roth sounds like he's an American doing a bad English accent.

dissolute ocelot

If we're being obvious, Brando in everything after 1969.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: jobotic on July 25, 2022, 07:00:28 PMI'm sure this is the most unoriginal opinion ever offered, but despite being English Roth sounds like he's an American doing a bad English accent.

He also sounds kinda like a Muppet after he's been shot in the gut.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Ignatius_S

Quote from: sevendaughters on July 25, 2022, 06:53:14 PMwatched Sunset Blvd the other day and wasn't so taken with the male lead, William Holden. He wasn't shite I guess but he seems to sort of disappear against the big performances around him. Fred McMurray would have been better, but I think he'd burned bridges with Wilder by then.

I wanted to slice the landlord's throat in Naked, so job done.

Personally, each time I watch the film, there's more I like about his performance. I think the first time I watched it, I didn't care for Holden but I think looking back a lot of that was to do with the character he was playing - and that age, would have judged him more harshly.

McMurray had been offered the role after Montgomery Clift pulled out of the project, IIRC but he didn't care for the role. He would later co-star in The Apartment - that was about ten years later and water could have flown under the bridge but I haven't read about any falling out between the two.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Ignatius_S on July 26, 2022, 03:26:46 PMPersonally, each time I watch the film, there's more I like about his performance. I think the first time I watched it, I didn't care for Holden but I think looking back a lot of that was to do with the character he was playing - and that age, would have judged him more harshly.

McMurray had been offered the role after Montgomery Clift pulled out of the project, IIRC but he didn't care for the role. He would later co-star in The Apartment - that was about ten years later and water could have flown under the bridge but I haven't read about any falling out between the two.

I read - though may have mis-remembered - that McMurray didn't like Double Indemnity and thought Wilder some kind of Commie.

QDRPHNC

Never really got the Roth hate (that's too strong a word, but you know what I mean) in Reservoir Dogs. I thought his accent was fine, not even sure it would crack a top 50 worst accents in movies ever list.

Related, Don Cheadle in Ocean's 11. It's the accent, yes, but it's more than that, he's just not very good, and he's a very good actor generally.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: QDRPHNC on July 26, 2022, 05:12:25 PMRelated, Don Cheadle in Ocean's 11. It's the accent, yes, but it's more than that, he's just not very good, and he's a very good actor generally.
I'm not sure I enjoyed anybody in Ocean's 11, bar Carl Reiner and Elliot Gould. Far too much smarm and "aren't we so cool?" for my liking.

Then again, I've never been huge fans of Clooney and Pitt in general, though I can accept some of that may be due to jealously over their handsome features that have (so far) been unaffected by age. They can work in the right vehicles, but (for example) I struggled to buy Clooney as the lead in 'Up In The Air'. The character needed to look like some anonymous clerk who could be any random nobody you sit next to in the airport, not Gorgeous George.

Don Cheadle's accent was bizarre, though, no arguments there. The main question is "why?"

QDRPHNC

It is a bit smug, but if you want a fun heist movie there are none better, and I think it's the kind of movie Clooney and Pitt were made for, smug, handsome rogues.

I like Clooney in general, because he doesn't take himself too seriously and can work really well with the right material (Burn After Reading). Pitt is a weird one though, he's charismatic and can be absolutely brilliant (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood), but he can be really terrible in individual scenes, if that makes sense. His "no-one talks about Fight Club" line reading is an obvious example for me, it sounds like a half-hearted rehearsal rather than a proper take.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's. An otherwise perfect film, in my view, but Rooney's racist caricature of a Japanese man is utterly horrendous.

And he doesn't even need to be in the film, his role serves no purpose whatsoever. Its sole point is this: "Haha! It's Mickey Rooney pretending to be Japanese!!" Awful.

dontpaintyourteeth

It's probably extremely tedious to talk about Woody Allen movies now, so I'm sorry, but Tim Roth is also really terrible in Everyone Says I Love You.

willbo

I'd have to say, I think Superman Returns is one of the most tonally inconsistent films I've seen. It's like one part Golden Age Hollywood, (the 30s Superman cartoon, King Kong, etc), one part a gritty Nolan style reboot, one part trying to be the 70's Superman, and Kevin Spacey's  performance feels like it fits in the 90s Dean Cain Tv show IMO. Crap film all round, but Spacey was awful just cause he's being camp in a film that feels like it should be serious