Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:13:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Songs that can't help sounding like the work of John Shuttleworth

Started by George White, July 24, 2022, 02:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George White

David Bowie's Little Bombardier - even down to mentions of the ABC cinema. It's all a bit Christmas Orphan.
Ken 'Postman Pat' Barrie's theme to SHarks' Treasure (1975)
Bill Waddington's Don't Forget the Old Folks at Christmas

PaulTMA

purlieu

Some of Colin Moulding's XTC songs have a touch of Shuttleworth about them, in a good way. 'Fruit Nut' in particular.

jamiefairlie

You could imagine John singing a fair few Tindersticks tunes

Brundle-Fly

Go Kart Mozart sometimes has a musical whiff of Shuttleworth.

Terry Durham's Crystal Telephone. Brilliant album though

Bowie sounds like Ken Worthington during the "I'm not a gangster" bit in Blackstar

ajsmith2

Quote from: George White on July 24, 2022, 02:50:43 PMDavid Bowie's Little Bombardier - even down to mentions of the ABC cinema. It's all a bit Christmas Orphan.

Great song, and good catch, can totally hear John singing it, although the end bit with the LB getting run out of town for being a suspected paedo is prob a bit dark of a well for John to go to lyrically. The genius of Bowie's song is that the listener is left to draw their own conclusions as to whether the Bombardier is a wrong 'un or an innocent. With the latter interpretation in mind, I always find these lines spine tingling poignant, with the police sealing the hapless Bombadiers fate as a social pariah with a palpably icy contempt laced with the barely supressed threat of physical violence  :

leave them alone, or we'll get sore
we've had blokes like you in the station before
the hand of authority said no more
to the Little Bombadier

ajsmith2

Donovan's 2016 single 'One English Summer' is pure Shuttleworth, down to the vocal inflections.

sevendaughters

I can hear The Bay by Metronomy, which is meant to be a cool song, done by John. Especially when you realise the guy is singing about how great it is to be in Torquay or something.

Autopsy Turvey

I thought the 1991 Queen song Delilah - Freddie's love song to his cat - had a whiff of Shutters to it. "Then you make me slightly mad when you pee all over my Chippendale suite" is a bit strong for John mind. Has he ever broached urine in a lyric?

kalowski

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on July 27, 2022, 03:34:20 PMI thought the 1991 Queen song Delilah - Freddie's love song to his cat - had a whiff of Shutters to it. "Then you make me slightly mad when you pee all over my Chippendale suite" is a bit strong for John mind. Has he ever broached urine in a lyric?
That's a bit blue for John.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: ajsmith2 on July 26, 2022, 12:23:32 PMGreat song, and good catch, can totally hear John singing it, although the end bit with the LB getting run out of town for being a suspected paedo is prob a bit dark of a well for John to go to lyrically. The genius of Bowie's song is that the listener is left to draw their own conclusions as to whether the Bombardier is a wrong 'un or an innocent. With the latter interpretation in mind, I always find these lines spine tingling poignant, with the police sealing the hapless Bombadiers fate as a social pariah with a palpably icy contempt laced with the barely supressed threat of physical violence  :

leave them alone, or we'll get sore
we've had blokes like you in the station before
the hand of authority said no more
to the Little Bombadier

The song is very likely to have been based on a short story by Alan Sillitoe - a lonely war veteran with a drink problem, who befriends two young children before being warned off by the police. Nicholas Pegg commented that that another story in the same collection shares a lot of similarity with Bowie's Uncle Arthur.

In the Sillitoe story, the relationship is entirely innocent, which I've tended to see the one in LB as being as well. The collection is well worth a read.

imitationleather

Quote from: ajsmith2 on July 26, 2022, 03:08:55 PMDonovan's 2016 single 'One English Summer' is pure Shuttleworth, down to the vocal inflections.

This must be trying to sound like John Shuttleworth.

sevendaughters

a scrapped Seahorses song from 1999 called 'Tombraid' about Chris Helme's obsession with the tight-topped explorer.

I'm in love with a lady called Lara,
She's a digital dream come true
What grace, what poise, what posture
She'll shoot to kill just for you

NattyDread 2

That Donovan song -

Quote from: imitationleather on July 28, 2022, 12:57:43 PMThis must be trying to sound like John Shuttleworth.

You'd think so. He's got the whole sound so bang on that it really sounds like a great tribute, but I'm not so sure.
I remember watching a doc about him years ago where he claimed that he'd basically invented reggae. And he seemed pretty serious.

Just looked that single up and apparently it was recorded in Kingston. Mental. He probably thinks it's mashing up dancehalls as we speak.

studpuppet

I feel sure that an ancestor of John's was responsible for the original version of 'We'll Meet Again'. Remember, THIS is the version that got people through the war, not that lush, overblown orchestral re-recording that everyone knows these days.

George White

The thing about Donovan's One English Summer is that it does sound similar to specific Shuttleworth songs. There's bits of Dandelion and Burdock, the Burial Song, Eggs and Gammon, Blatherwyke....

George White

The work of Richie Kavanagh, basically Ireland's Shuttleworth but very much real..

dr beat

Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da.

And in a similar vein, Don't Stop the Carnival by Alan Price.

George White