Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:23:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mythic Quest Season 3

Started by surreal, July 26, 2022, 12:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surreal

Threads for Season 1 & Season 2

This is back soon (no date as yet) and we have a teaser trailer:

They seem to be running the old company and the new start-up in parallel which should be interesting.  Also no F. Murray Abraham this season.

Anyone else looking forward to this? The feel of S1 and S2 were pretty different so be interesting to see what tone they go for this time.  Renewed to season 5 I think.

selectivememory

Gets a very mixed reception here, but I really like it. The second half of Season 2 wasn't really my cup of tea; I can't remember quite what happened but I feel like some promising storylines fizzled out a bit. But still up for more of it, as I generally love the characters and the world of the show.

Ant Farm Keyboard

They parted ways with F. Murray Abraham after season 2. Given the dry tone of the statement by the studio (it didn't provide any explanation for the departure, and no "we wish him the best" stuff), it looks like he was fired for something they don't want to mention.

https://deadline.com/2022/04/f-murray-abraham-exits-mythic-quest-will-not-return-for-season-3-1235006022/

selectivememory

His character wasn't really my favourite, and I wasn't crazy about the episodes centred around him last season, so not too upset to hear that.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on July 26, 2022, 01:32:54 PMThey parted ways with F. Murray Abraham after season 2. Given the dry tone of the statement by the studio (it didn't provide any explanation for the departure, and no "we wish him the best" stuff), it looks like he was fired for something they don't want to mention.

https://deadline.com/2022/04/f-murray-abraham-exits-mythic-quest-will-not-return-for-season-3-1235006022/

From what I gather it was due to a scheduling clash as he went off to work on the second season of HBO's The White Lotus in Italy rather than do this, there definitely could be more to it than that, but it kind of looks like he got a better pay day and so just fucked off.

dead-ced-dead

The trouble I have with Mythic Quest is I keep thinking about how perfect the flashback episode with Jake Johnson was from season one and the phrase, "Well, good luck topping that" keeps springing to mind. As likeable as I find the rest of the show, I keep feeling they peaked way too soon with that one perfect episode.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 26, 2022, 03:17:18 PMFrom what I gather it was due to a scheduling clash as he went off to work on the second season of HBO's The White Lotus in Italy rather than do this, there definitely could be more to it than that, but it kind of looks like he got a better pay day and so just fucked off.

If I understand a little how these things work in the US, there's a range of contracts for actors, as they can be part of the main or regular cast, recurring, or guests. For shows intended to last multiple seasons, it combines job security with availability. For instance, when you're part of the regular cast, you get a credit (and money) for every episode, even if your character isn't featured in it. But, in exchange, you're supposed to be available for the entire duration of shooting, and sometimes even between seasons. If you want to work on a movie or be a guest on another show, you need to ask for permission to the producers first. Of course, Rob McElhenney definitely gets clearance to work on IASIP.

Unless Abraham didn't have a typical contract (which is a possibility), he had to ask first to the production of Mythic Quest before he could even sign for The White Lotus, as the MQ contract would take precedence. And it's also breaking a cardinal rule in the industry. The writers spent months developing and mapping the season with arcs and interactions for all the main characters. If they suddenly have to remove Longbottom or repurpose his scenes for a different character instead, and develop a new character with a new actor, that's a huge amount of work, it affects the schedule of the season and the entire dynamics of the show, and it can change its fate.

Last year, they went to great lengths to protect production for Abraham. They wrote most of the episodes around his character staying at home, so Abraham could indeed work from home and would be safe from Covid on the set. He also got to act opposite William Hurt on what turned out to be his final onscreen appearance (with an episode of Goliath). And if he decided to leave the show so he could spend instead a couple of months in Sicily with more money involved and if he negotiated to be released from his contract with Lionsgate (as he's 82, he can retire after that), I can understand why they wouldn't have a single positive thing to say about him in their statement.

selectivememory

This is back now btw. First two episodes available. Just watched the opener; pretty good stuff I thought. Brad, David, Jo, Ian and Poppy are all very solid characters and they all have great chemistry with each other. Also liked how they dealt with Abraham's exit from the show.

BritishHobo

Yeah, I'm enjoying it so far. It still sometimes suffers from the contradiction of trying to be warm and sincere while also doing Always Sunny style humour (albeit far tamer) with the characters being dickheads to each other. Brad and Jo are fun as ever though, in being unashamedly evil. The end of episode 1 got a massive laugh out of me, and I am intrigued to see how everything plays out this season, with all the characters moved around in the way they have been.

Poppy remains, as ever, just a properly delightful character, as does David.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Naomi Ekperigin (Carol) is now part of the main cast, probably taking the slot left by Abraham, which isn't a bad move.

Still, I suspect that her name is a reference to "Carol in HR" from Charlie's rant in Always Sunny.

selectivememory

Not got much to say about it, but this season is ticking along nicely at the moment and I'm enjoying it a lot.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: selectivememory on November 22, 2022, 06:05:24 PMNot got much to say about it, but this season is ticking along nicely at the moment and I'm enjoying it a lot.

That's how I feel too, if I had to be picky I might mention that sometimes Rachel is a bit dull, but I really Dana so can't really complain. Otherwise it's just really great, and I love the chemistry between Poppy and Iron.

selectivememory

Love a good bit of farce, and Jo at the meeting with the actor, with David in her ear instructing her was excellent stuff. Was howling when the art designer and Brad got on the call as well.

Really strong season so far. No real weak spots in all the different plot threads, so no lulls in the episodes, which sometimes has been a bit of a problem in the past for this show.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: selectivememory on November 28, 2022, 07:55:56 PMReally strong season so far. No real weak spots in all the different plot threads, so no lulls in the episodes, which sometimes has been a bit of a problem in the past for this show.

That's how I'm feeling too, it might seem a bit mean but by separating Dana and Rachel and giving them separate plotlines they've become much more interesting characters, and I'm really liking what they're doing with Brad too. I'm not missing C.W. either which I thought I would, and this might just be my favourite season yet.

selectivememory

Yeah, agreed about Rachel and Dana. Rachel falling under Brad's influence has a lot of potential, and Dana matches up really well with Ian and Poppy. Enjoying the expansion of Carol's character as well. Another person for Brad to lead astray perhaps.

Ant Farm Keyboard

In addition to the 4th season being already confirmed, the show is getting some kind of a spin-off in the form of an eight episode anthology consisting of one-offs involving new characters or actors, like "A Dark Quiet Death" in season 1 or "Backstory!" in season 2.

https://tvline.com/2022/12/15/mere-mortals-mythic-quest-new-series-apple-tv-plus/

It will be handled among others by Kate McElhenney (Rob's sister, who had also written "A Dark Quiet Death" and Ashly Burch (Rachel, also the writer to "Everlight", the special that was released shortly before season 2).

BritishHobo

The latest standalone episode 'Sarian' was really lovely. Poppy has fast become one of my favourite sitcom characters at the moment.

I will definitely give the standalone series a chance, although I feel like surely it'll rob the individual standalone episodes of their novelty, unless they plan to not do them in the main series going forward.

neveragain

Agreed. It would be odd for one-offs to continue in tandem, and surely difficult to decide which they would want to keep in the series proper.

selectivememory

Not a huge fan of the standalone episodes, so I'll be happy if they channel that particular creative impulse into a different project. For me, they don't quite work included in the same series with the regular episodes and their more conventional comedic tone.

That said, I did quite enjoy the young Poppy parts of that episode. Always impressed when shows cast the child versions of established characters as well as they did there. Also Final Fantasy IX hits a very specific nostalgic sweet spot with me, so that was nice.

trance kuja wasn't even that hard, what a noob. necron would fuck her up

i was convinced she was going to start playing FF9 pieces on the piano to get into playing it, like I did as a young dweeb. missed a trick there, a bit? It's more believable for someone to get into it if they are invested in the music they're playing, not just playing random pieces that mean nothing to them. maybe they couldn't license the songs.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: selectivememory on December 18, 2022, 11:12:59 PMNot a huge fan of the standalone episodes, so I'll be happy if they channel that particular creative impulse into a different project. For me they don't quite work included in the same series with the regular episodes and their more conventional comedic tone.

Yeah it would be nice to know I could properly enjoy this show by having all that other stuff contained to the new spin-off series.

chutnut

I'm another one who reckons moving the soppy bollocks standalone episodes to a separate series sounds like a good thing

elliszeroed

I thought they were talking about Final Fantasy VI. Ha. My terrible memory.

Would have been best if it was VIII: But daaaa-ad, Squalls depressed again!

Small Man Big Horse

Eh, I quite liked Sirian, and Young Poppy was hilarious.

The latest was a little brutal, Jo, Brad and David's b-plot was very funny but seeing Ian and Pop argue and fall out makes me sad, if only because I love both characters so much. Still, there's two more episodes to this season so hopefully they'll resolve everything.

selectivememory

Ian and Poppy seem to have at least one big falling out every season. I kind of hope it doesn't mean they're going to split them up in the show, as their relationship is the heart of the whole thing for me, but it might make sense to.

No other notes really. Just really loving this season. Glad to see Jo and Brad finding each other again. Two very natural bedfellows.

selectivememory

Really liked the latest episode, aside from the very broad turn Phil the art designer's personality took. I kind of liked him just as a downtrodden sadsack being taken advantage of by everyone. He was just way over the top in this one.

David becoming a badass with the assistance of Jo is an interesting development. David Hornsby's so good in this show.  And nice to see Uncle Jack and the waiter from Always Sunny popping up. Presumably they won't be regulars though.

BritishHobo

I really like Jo having a genuine respect for David and trying to push him to be a strong boss. Really made me laugh when she tells Danny Pudi it makes her feel proud to be assistant to such a powerful man.

I agree with you that it's great stuff from Hornsby, and I think taking Poppy and Ian out of the company - and therefore freeing David from having to deal with them - has given a whole new life to the character.

selectivememory

Not entirely sure how I feel about Ian and Poppy returning to MQ, even if all the emotional stuff with them this week felt well-earned and still managed to be quite funny. I guess we'll see how it pans out. Just hope they keep David as a more assertive character now he has to deal with them again, especially with Jo no longer by his side.

Do like the idea of Dana, Brad and Jo teaming up. And Brad just going completely mask-off with Rachel about how he'd manipulated her was hilarious.