Main Menu

Support CaB

Subscribers don't see this.

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

August 10, 2022, 06:27:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Mythic Quest Season 3

Started by surreal, July 26, 2022, 12:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surreal

Threads for Season 1 & Season 2

This is back soon (no date as yet) and we have a teaser trailer:

They seem to be running the old company and the new start-up in parallel which should be interesting.  Also no F. Murray Abraham this season.

Anyone else looking forward to this? The feel of S1 and S2 were pretty different so be interesting to see what tone they go for this time.  Renewed to season 5 I think.

selectivememory

Gets a very mixed reception here, but I really like it. The second half of Season 2 wasn't really my cup of tea; I can't remember quite what happened but I feel like some promising storylines fizzled out a bit. But still up for more of it, as I generally love the characters and the world of the show.

Ant Farm Keyboard

They parted ways with F. Murray Abraham after season 2. Given the dry tone of the statement by the studio (it didn't provide any explanation for the departure, and no "we wish him the best" stuff), it looks like he was fired for something they don't want to mention.

https://deadline.com/2022/04/f-murray-abraham-exits-mythic-quest-will-not-return-for-season-3-1235006022/

selectivememory

His character wasn't really my favourite, and I wasn't crazy about the episodes centred around him last season, so not too upset to hear that.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on July 26, 2022, 01:32:54 PMThey parted ways with F. Murray Abraham after season 2. Given the dry tone of the statement by the studio (it didn't provide any explanation for the departure, and no "we wish him the best" stuff), it looks like he was fired for something they don't want to mention.

https://deadline.com/2022/04/f-murray-abraham-exits-mythic-quest-will-not-return-for-season-3-1235006022/

From what I gather it was due to a scheduling clash as he went off to work on the second season of HBO's The White Lotus in Italy rather than do this, there definitely could be more to it than that, but it kind of looks like he got a better pay day and so just fucked off.

dead-ced-dead

The trouble I have with Mythic Quest is I keep thinking about how perfect the flashback episode with Jake Johnson was from season one and the phrase, "Well, good luck topping that" keeps springing to mind. As likeable as I find the rest of the show, I keep feeling they peaked way too soon with that one perfect episode.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 26, 2022, 03:17:18 PMFrom what I gather it was due to a scheduling clash as he went off to work on the second season of HBO's The White Lotus in Italy rather than do this, there definitely could be more to it than that, but it kind of looks like he got a better pay day and so just fucked off.

If I understand a little how these things work in the US, there's a range of contracts for actors, as they can be part of the main or regular cast, recurring, or guests. For shows intended to last multiple seasons, it combines job security with availability. For instance, when you're part of the regular cast, you get a credit (and money) for every episode, even if your character isn't featured in it. But, in exchange, you're supposed to be available for the entire duration of shooting, and sometimes even between seasons. If you want to work on a movie or be a guest on another show, you need to ask for permission to the producers first. Of course, Rob McElhenney definitely gets clearance to work on IASIP.

Unless Abraham didn't have a typical contract (which is a possibility), he had to ask first to the production of Mythic Quest before he could even sign for The White Lotus, as the MQ contract would take precedence. And it's also breaking a cardinal rule in the industry. The writers spent months developing and mapping the season with arcs and interactions for all the main characters. If they suddenly have to remove Longbottom or repurpose his scenes for a different character instead, and develop a new character with a new actor, that's a huge amount of work, it affects the schedule of the season and the entire dynamics of the show, and it can change its fate.

Last year, they went to great lengths to protect production for Abraham. They wrote most of the episodes around his character staying at home, so Abraham could indeed work from home and would be safe from Covid on the set. He also got to act opposite William Hurt on what turned out to be his final onscreen appearance (with an episode of Goliath). And if he decided to leave the show so he could spend instead a couple of months in Sicily with more money involved and if he negotiated to be released from his contract with Lionsgate (as he's 82, he can retire after that), I can understand why they wouldn't have a single positive thing to say about him in their statement.