Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:14:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedy Unleashed - On Tour! Run for your life wokes!

Started by jobotic, July 26, 2022, 01:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snrub

To add to the stories, I saw Reg maybe 10 years ago or more on tour and was surprised at how not funny and unprepared he seemed. A couple of prepared bits that were well worked but a lot of it was ramshackle scrabbling about for an idea.

I guess his "excuse" would have been I think it was the first couple of nights of the tour - but the strange thing was it was being recorded for DVD. It being recorded twice and I think I remember him saying he'd do better tomorrow. All of us were a bit baffled at what we'd seen really when leaving - the consensus probably being don't smoke loads of weed before going on stage.

I never watched it when it came out to see if it had been punched up, as I really couldn't subject myself to it again. Never thought of him the same way since really.

Captain Z

Quote from: Petey Pate on July 27, 2022, 12:24:17 AMOn the contrary, I saw him do a set at the Banana Cabaret in Balham in February 2020, not long before the coronavirus changed everything. He was definitely one of the funnier acts on that night, though a couple of the supporting comedians were fairly dismal. Can't recall anything offensive or anti-woke from Carey though.

That's interesting, I guess it was a result of looking him up while Covid was still a concern, as I can see he has several 2022 dates listed now. I also don't remember anything offensive from him, all I recalled was a bit about homeopathy ("if water had memory you'd never be able to fill a kettle") that wasn't especially mean-spirited, but could loosely play into those hands I suppose. He was the main act of that night, the audience loved it, and begged him to continue when he said he still had 2 pages of material left to try out despite already overrunning.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Pimhole on July 27, 2022, 07:26:50 PMAll that forced, braying laughter. Like at the Shakespeare, or PMQs.
Karen Dunbar went to one of these nights in her cancel culture programme and I never saw anything that made me cringe more..the snickering and dead atmosphere really made you feel you were paying to be offended at any point.

sevendaughters

I've never seen Hunter nor am I interested in doing so but I am surprised to see him latch onto this given the whole treatment that he suffered from the press when he got booted out of the FA dinner for using the 'n' word, leading to the whole 'that word in ANY context cannot be used' furore and its ultimate defence by arch liberal du jour Stewart Lee, who is presumably some bete noir for the CU crowd.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: sevendaughters on July 28, 2022, 03:11:29 PMI've never seen Hunter nor am I interested in doing so but I am surprised to see him latch onto this given the whole treatment that he suffered from the press when he got booted out of the FA dinner for using the 'n' word, leading to the whole 'that word in ANY context cannot be used' furore

Why does any of this make it surprising that RDH has 'latched onto' a comedy night that emphasises free speech (frozen peaches more like!!) and contentious subject matter?

Quoteand its ultimate defence by arch liberal du jour Stewart Lee, who is presumably some bete noir for the CU crowd.

As far as I have seen, opinion is divided on Stewart Lee among this crowd. I suspect most know he's brilliant. Their problem is more likely to be with his audience, but he slags his audience off a lot so they'll probably like those bits if nothing else. I don't remember seeing Lee's defence of context and the n word, where/when did he do that?

QuoteAh, the old 'they're simultaneously pathetic and ridiculous yet they're also amazingly successful, wield phenomenal power, and want nothing more than to eternally silence us

Didn't say any of that, but these aren't mutually exclusive surely, do you not think both of these are true of conservatives?

Quotebrave freeze peach warriors' schtick.

Why do left wing people write 'freeze peach'? Nobody pronounces it like that. Is it to distance yourself from the words and make them nonsensical so that it's easier to mock people for whom freedom of speech is a concern (dated old fascists more like right kids)?

shlug

With regard to the Stewart Lee context around the N word, I believe they're referring to this bit from Comedy Vehicle

jobotic

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on July 28, 2022, 04:21:45 PMWhy do left wing people write 'freeze peach'? Nobody pronounces it like that. Is it to distance yourself from the words and make them nonsensical so that it's easier to mock people for whom freedom of speech is a concern (dated old fascists more like right kids)?

I don't. It's a bit lame. Although Tommy "name one thing that he's said that's racist actually" Robinson says it like that.

I assumed it was to mock the right with their "Elf n Safety" and "compensayshun" spellings - which they did for exactly the reason you state.

You probably knew that.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on July 28, 2022, 04:21:45 PMWhy does any of this make it surprising that RDH has 'latched onto' a comedy night that emphasises free speech (frozen peaches more like!!) and contentious subject matter?

As far as I have seen, opinion is divided on Stewart Lee among this crowd. I suspect most know he's brilliant. Their problem is more likely to be with his audience, but he slags his audience off a lot so they'll probably like those bits if nothing else. I don't remember seeing Lee's defence of context and the n word, where/when did he do that?

Didn't say any of that, but these aren't mutually exclusive surely, do you not think both of these are true of conservatives?

Why do left wing people write 'freeze peach'? Nobody pronounces it like that. Is it to distance yourself from the words and make them nonsensical so that it's easier to mock people for whom freedom of speech is a concern (dated old fascists more like right kids)?

Why do boring-ass trolls continue to post, absolutely desperate to get a reaction?

Joe Qunt

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on July 28, 2022, 04:21:45 PMWhy does any of this make it surprising that RDH has 'latched onto' a comedy night that emphasises free speech (frozen peaches more like!!) and contentious subject matter?

Are you a sardine?

Kankurette

Autopsy Turvey

If I was trying to 'wind people up/be a troll/get a reaction' I could do it a helluva lot more effectively than just flagging up some points that had been raised and requesting further elucidation on them. Truth is I've been biting my tongue so as not to upset or anger anyone unduly, so if anyone is genuinely wound up by such milquetoast pushback, some sort of grip-getting course would seem to be in order.

QuoteI assumed it was to mock the right with their "Elf n Safety" and "compensayshun" spellings - which they did for exactly the reason you state.
You probably knew that.

I probably knew that you assumed that? I haven't noticed the right doing similarly deliberate misspellings for comic effect, so if it's a joke that conservatives can't spell because they're thick fair enough, but I'd have thought 'freeze peach' is harder for thick people to spell than 'free speech'.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on July 27, 2022, 07:47:58 PMThe venues on that tour are tiny. It's inconsequential.

I think this is because these tours are made up of a few kinds of people.

1. Half cancelled and can no longer be arsed. (Hunter Thompson)
2. Cancelled and could never get a gig. (Count Dankula)
3. PC and can no longer get a gig but willing to go under the banner of un PC for a gig. (Scott Capurro)
4. Can probably get a gig but misinformed by agent. (Tony Law)
5. Just can't get a gig of any type and will take anything. (Mark Dolan)

It's just a bunch of nearly rans or never rans trying to get something together it looks like.

jobotic

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on July 29, 2022, 01:57:34 PMI probably knew that you assumed that? I haven't noticed the right doing similarly deliberate misspellings for comic effect, so if it's a joke that conservatives can't spell because they're thick fair enough, but I'd have thought 'freeze peach' is harder for thick people to spell than 'free speech'.

I just gave you two examples.

Please don't bite your tongue, let us know what you really think instead of implying things. Be bold.

Unless it's mentioning Rik from the Young Ones because you've done that before.

somersetchris

Quote from: sevendaughters on July 28, 2022, 03:11:29 PMI've never seen Hunter nor am I interested in doing so but I am surprised to see him latch onto this given the whole treatment that he suffered from the press when he got booted out of the FA dinner for using the 'n' word, leading to the whole 'that word in ANY context cannot be used' furore and its ultimate defence by arch liberal du jour Stewart Lee, who is presumably some bete noir for the CU crowd.

I think that being on the receiving end of some of these controversies in which he was in the right, was what made him generally quite resentful of authority and you can see how that becomes 'you can't say anything these days'. Unfortunately, because he has been unjustly vilified before, I think in his mind he came to believe that he must be right all the time, and there's no need to do any self-reflection. As he's gone on I have found him more misogynist, I don't know whether he has got worse or I've just noticed it because times and sensitivities have changed, probably a bit of both.

One time I saw him on tour, and his support was someone who came from the righteous anger of a Bill Hicks type but then he starts ranting about political correctness and health and safety you see how close that can be to being a conspiracy theorist. Not full on right wing, more libertarian. This was a long time ago, maybe 2014. When thanking him Reg said something like 'you may not agree with everything he's saying but it does make the car journeys interesting', as if he enjoys the rigour of a debate more than the nuances of who is actually right and wrong. So I can see how his angle is 'everybody should be able to say what they like and we'll just argue it out'. 

somersetchris

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on July 29, 2022, 01:57:34 PMI haven't noticed the right doing similarly deliberate misspellings for comic effect,

You've never seen anyone write 'Elf & Safety?' I don't believe you. How about Tony B.Liar or LIEbour? The right fucking love their mis-spellings and puns.

McDead

Quote from: somersetchris on July 29, 2022, 02:33:22 PMYou've never seen anyone write 'Elf & Safety?' I don't believe you. How about Tony B.Liar or LIEbour? The right fucking love their mis-spellings and puns.

We all do, to be fair

imitationleather

I love it when comedians do material about how the NHS has no money because they employ too many diversity managers.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: somersetchris on July 29, 2022, 02:33:22 PMYou've never seen anyone write 'Elf & Safety?'

Not outside of Christmas jokes I don't think.

QuoteI don't believe you. How about Tony B.Liar or LIEbour? The right fucking love their mis-spellings and puns.

LIEbour didn't really catch on, but Tony B.Liar is not just for the right surely, every wing knows Tony B is a Liar. Oh I did hear someone say Rebecca Wrong-Daily, that's a good one.

sevendaughters

ZaNu Lie-Bore was used in a daily rag for about 10 years

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: somersetchris on July 29, 2022, 02:30:21 PMOne time I saw him on tour, and his support was someone who came from the righteous anger of a Bill Hicks type but then he starts ranting about political correctness and health and safety you see how close that can be to being a conspiracy theorist. Not full on right wing, more libertarian. This was a long time ago, maybe 2014. 

Was that Steve Hughes? Ex-drummer with Slaughter Lord and Mortal Sin? Heh, yeah he's been on a journey. I saw him support RDH around that time, he wasn't advertised, no one knew who he was, but I was chuffed to see him get a round of applause for a gag within two minutes.

Also at that show Reg gave examples of his profligate 'n-word' use including, if he wanted some crisps, "Hey gimme some of them crunchy n*ggers", which was very funny, but perhaps mostly in the delivery.

dr beat

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on July 29, 2022, 02:57:26 PMLIEbour didn't really catch on

Not sure about that, he's great in Ever Decreasing Circles.  And Flash Gordon.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

mjwilson

Quote from: Pimhole on July 27, 2022, 11:35:56 PMFair enough. I've personally not seen live Shakespeare for decades.

Definitely like PMQs though, with about the same level of "comedy".

https://youtu.be/tr20Zg_kPC4?t=707

(how do you embed YouTube videos with a "start at" time code?)

What you've done here seems to work OK - or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr20Zg_kPC4#t=707s should be fine too.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 29, 2022, 02:15:53 PM5. Just can't get a gig of any type and will take anything. (Mark Dolan)

He's always been a cunt. Remember Balls of Steel? Now he has a show on GB News. He's a shoo-in for an unfunny right wing comedy tour.

Thosworth

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on July 29, 2022, 03:30:08 PM"Hey gimme some of them crunchy n*ggers"

I think that should be an -a ending there. -er is the bad one.

I never understood when Americans talk about the N word with a 'hard r' and whether it is a real thing, or just about the context around the usage of the word, because I genuinely couldn't hear the difference, until I looked it up on YouTube and apparently Americans have two different ways of pronouncing 'water', which I can't imagine, or hear.

Basically the tongue always ends up in the front in British, but it can end in the front or back in America, so there is indeed a difference between the -a ending and the 'hard r'.

lazyhour

Really surprised you've never seen "elf n safety" before, Autopsy Turvey. Beloved of Richard Littlejohn.

https://www.google.com/search?q=elf%27n%27safety+littlejohn

lazyhour

Quick Google for "compensayshun" brings up plenty of results too. Example:

"These memories are from days before Political Correctness, 'Elf & Safety', and the 'Compensayshun' Culture were the norm. The events simply could not happen today."

Full disclosure: I find "freeze peach" really annoying and don't think it adds anything. I quite like "muh freedoms!" though.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: lazyhour on July 30, 2022, 07:22:17 PMReally surprised you've never seen "elf n safety" before, Autopsy Turvey. Beloved of Richard Littlejohn.

https://www.google.com/search?q=elf%27n%27safety+littlejohn

I thought it was a joke from Santa Claus:The Movie(1985)