Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:05:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedy Unleashed - On Tour! Run for your life wokes!

Started by jobotic, July 26, 2022, 01:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kankurette

All I learned at university was languages and history, though we did touch on the Frankfurt School in Transcultural Studies, which was the kind of module that would make anti-woke types shit their pants. And I wrote an essay for Latin American studies on why the CIA's role in the overthrowing of Allende was unjustified, so I guess that counts as woke nonsense since I'm sure Pinochet was a GBOL really.

'Soft white students' makes students sound like bread.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on July 28, 2022, 04:21:45 PMWhy do left wing people write 'freeze peach'? Nobody pronounces it like that. Is it to distance yourself from the words and make them nonsensical so that it's easier to mock people for whom freedom of speech is a concern (dated old fascists more like right kids)?
I find the "freeze peach" sneer a useful label to distinguish the self-serving invocation of free expression demonstrated by pseuds like Andrew Doyle from people who deal with the topic with any sort of depth.

The Crumb

Very good faith question asking to parrot bullshit right wing extremist talking points while trying to pass them off as 'common knowledge' or w/e.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 02, 2022, 12:15:21 PMgo on

Thomas Sowell, John McWhorter, Glenn Loury, Shelby Steele, Walter E Williams etc

Quotebarmy

I know, nothing like it has ever happened, but that's the cruel perception.

Quotethat's known as a joke.

Obviously.

dissolute ocelot

Looking at redditsearch.io, "freeze peach" seems to have come into being maybe 12 years ago, and to have been widespread 7 or 8 years ago. I found 12 years ago someone complaining "Israel is sending me smashed, frozen nectarines. It's a freeze peach violation!" Which wasn't the first but was near the front of the queue.

Indymedia has a post from 2010 about a "Freeze Peach" party in Bristol, which is not known for its peach-growing.

Freezing peaches is something people do if they have a lot of peaches, so it's not that surprising it should be more popular than freeze beach, which is just depressing. And RationalWiki suggests "frea speach" which is even lamer.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: peteprodge on August 02, 2022, 11:07:27 AMWhy y'all surprised at Scott Capurro? He had an opening gag in the mid-1990s that was pretty much: "Jews... can you just get over the holocaust now?"

A joke like that wouldn't bother me in a live gig. If he followed it up with a solid 10 minutes on how annoying the jews are, that would be way more uncomfortable. I'm guessing Capurro just isn't successful enough to turn down paying gigs.

Are we 100% sure that 100% of the comedians on this thing are politically incorrect and are doing this for that reason?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 02, 2022, 10:56:49 AMCapurro's a weird one to see on that list, up to 2018 he was still taking a new show to Edinburgh fairly regularly, he heads over to the US to perform every so often, and I'd see his name on various mixed bills over here,

Is there any suggestion he's making proper money from any of these things? An Edinburgh show can cost a comedian money and is infamous for doing so to loads of struggling comedians.

Old Nehamkin

I was a soft white student between 2010-2014 and I don't remember any of my lecturers saying any radical marxist stuff to me although that would have actually been pretty cool because I really like marxism personally.

sevendaughters

I've not said anything particularly radical to students either though we have discussed Marxism because talking about a subject isn't the same as proselytising!

Deano

Certainly back in the early 2000s Scott Capurro had a reputation as being a very provocative act, with some very cruel audience work. I swear a friend once told me they saw him at Late and Live or something similar and he literally started wanking on stage.

He was known as an "offensive" comic in the same way Frankie Boyle, Ian Cognito and Sadowitz were. And there's an element of that in what these Comedy Unleashed gigs are trying to push. Same with Reg - he always said very offensive things, just got away with it because of that accent.

I know we've joked about Frank Sanazi on here but he's literally a vaudville act that does Sinatra songs as Hitler with the lyrics changed. It's deeply, deeply offensive but I only know that as the only place I've seen him play is Glastonbury Festival. And I don't believe for a minute he actually believes any of the things he is saying *in character as Hitler*.

Same goes for Sol Bernstein: it's a character who says offensive things because he's so out of touch. That's the joke. Lewis Schaffer is similar. Honestly if this poster was just Reginald D Hunter, Tony Law, Soctt Capurro, Lewis Schaffer, Frank Sanazi, Carey Marx, Sol Bernstein and Josh Howie then I'd get what they were doing. A night of comics who fly close to the wind with their material. A night not for the easily offended. That'd be fun. It'd even be a good idea and yes, it would help redress the balance of some of the more anodyne nights carefully structured not to offend.

And you can sort of see that that's what they sort of want to pretend they are. But then you've got a few people who are genuine right-wing social media trolls. And if you look at the line-ups, there seems to be at least one of them on every night. And that gives a whole awkward tone to the night. Because it's a lot harder to laugh at guy doing a cabaret act as Hitler when the guy on before spent 20 minutes genuinely defending some of his views.

Autopsy Turvey

Out of interest, which comedians are genuinely defending Hitler's views?

Deano

If you're asking comedians, I don't know. If you're asking people on that poster, Count Dankula.

somersetchris

Quote from: checkoutgirl on August 02, 2022, 02:23:48 PMAre we 100% sure that 100% of the comedians on this thing are politically incorrect and are doing this for that reason?

No, they're probably doing it for a number of reasons. Some we know for sure are GB News trolls.

Reg Hunter I'd confidently say is doing it because he wants to be provocative, I'd imagine he disagrees with most of the views of the others on the bill, but isn't offended by their existence, he thinks we should hear opposing views so we can thrash it out. Not a bad aim in itself, but it can easily end up as a version of 'you can't say anything these days'. I think he's become embittered by some of the controversies he's been involved in down the years.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Deano on August 02, 2022, 03:48:29 PMIf you're asking comedians, I don't know. If you're asking people on that poster, Count Dankula.

Which of Hitler's views has he genuinely defended?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: somersetchris on August 02, 2022, 03:51:47 PMReg Hunter I'd confidently say is doing it because he wants to be provocative, I'd imagine he disagrees with most of the views of the others on the bill, but isn't offended by their existence, he thinks we should hear opposing views so we can thrash it out. Not a bad aim in itself, but it can easily end up as a version of 'you can't say anything these days'. I think he's become embittered by some of the controversies he's been involved in down the years.

That's the thing, I think it's healthy to take in opposing views, even if there's an element of deliberate provocativeness to it. But then you see it mixed in with people who genuinely have no comic talent or are obviously right wing grifters and it all gets a bit muddled.

The Crumb

Is it that desperate to experience the thrill of seeing some bigotry repeated?

jobotic

The thrill of hearing said that which cannot be said, even though the two candidates to be Prime Minister were saying it yesterday.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: jobotic on August 02, 2022, 04:03:20 PMfucking hell how tiresome

Go to bed mate.

Is this 'genuinely' being used in the sense of 'not genuinely'?

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: jobotic on August 02, 2022, 04:33:00 PMThe thrill of hearing said that which cannot be said, even though the two candidates to be Prime Minister were saying it yesterday.

The thrill of having your middle-aged contrarianism validated by a twat.

somersetchris

Quote from: Kankurette on August 02, 2022, 12:50:14 PMAll I learned at university was languages and history, though we did touch on the Frankfurt School in Transcultural Studies, which was the kind of module that would make anti-woke types shit their pants.

I was at university some years ago, but my experience does not reflect the image of a production line of anarcho-communists that the right wing media like to portray it as. And I did English and Media Studies, which I think are some of the bad ones?

In my experience you go to university to learn stuff, it's a bit like school except you wear your own clothes and don't get told off if you don't turn up. There's more of an emphasis on doing the work yourself rather than having facts spoon fed to you which you then spit out for an exam, but otherwise much the same.

I don't really understand where the perception comes from that universities are a haven of politically correct safe spaces rather than a building where people go to learn stuff. I've had the occasional lecturer who was obviously a bit of a lefty activist back in his or her day but honestly when they get to 50 they're kind of laughable, no-one is trying to emulate them. We did some critical theory but when you do literature it is hard to ignore the fact that women are largely absent, and you can't just ignore that. So we did some modules on feminist literature, because 90% of what you learn is the literal opposite. You can like it or dislike it, agree with it or disagree with it, nobody is being indoctrinated. If anything, I'd probably say that when I was a student I probably disagreed with most of my tutors but as I've got older and more cynical I've realised they were probably right, but I was too young and idealistic to see it.

Bad Ambassador

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on August 02, 2022, 11:29:12 AMPeople who observed the phenomenon of soft white students coming home from university angry and depressed with a head full of American racial politics, then propagating these theories onto a confused public via jobs in the media/tech/arts/corporate sector etc.
what people

what does soft white student mean

which jobs exactly

QuoteMarxism, intersectionality, CRT etc

why is critical race theory bad

PlanktonSideburns

Famous Mortimer

"Out of interest"

Spoiler: he's not actually interested

Kankurette

Chris, the number of students who were arsed about politics was tiny compared to the student body as a whole - the SWSS lot were very vocal and visible, sure, but the idea that all students are commies is laughable. Conservative Future exists, for a start. Plenty of degrees don't even touch politics or hot button issues, or require trigger warnings. Some of my lecturers were right-on, others weren't. The political students were the most visible ones. Granted, this was in the mid 00s but I doubt much has changed.

In first year, I had two flat mates doing economics, two physicists, one chemist, one earth scientist and one English/drama student. A lot of the Rock Soc crowd were STEM types, interestingly.

Memorex MP3

What's Andrew Lawrence up to that he got left off this?

billyandthecloneasaurus

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 29, 2022, 01:21:34 PMWhy do boring-ass trolls continue to post, absolutely desperate to get a reaction?

Because loads of people can't resist doing angry point by point rebuttals lol. It's tragic.

Johnny Yesno