Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:20:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedy Unleashed - On Tour! Run for your life wokes!

Started by jobotic, July 26, 2022, 01:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billyandthecloneasaurus

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on August 03, 2022, 08:46:07 AM
Yeah I know you've rolled your eyes at the "don't feed the troll" stuff before, but despite respecting you as a good, seasoned posted (better than me obviously, lol), nah, not having it. What the fuck is the point, really? I'm pretty sure last time I asked you just got arsey and basically said you'll argue with whoever you damn well please, which is of course your right but, to paraphrase annoying toddlers..WHY? WHY? It's just fucking pointless and derails threads. When it's genuine debates with people who agree on some stuff, disagree on others, then yeah it's cool, but the likes of AT seem, to me at least, to just be taking the obvious inverse opinion to the #cabhivemind to get a reaction from people, and then people like you will quote their post and go through every reason why they're wrong. WHY?We all know they're posting fash bollocks, and anyone who actually agrees with their points is not gonna be swayed by people like yourself getting pissed off with them. Like seriously, I don't get it. If people stopped replying for like two weeks I reckon he'd fuck off, but nah, now every single thread with vague reference to "woke" or whatever can be fun for about half a page until he goes "actually gentlemen maybe woke is a bad thing" and people like you going ACTUALLY NO WOKE IS GOOD BECAUSE and it's like ffs mate

sevendaughters

I don't think anyone was really angry tho Billy mate and there was some worthwhile convo between the bad.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

I think 'Don't feed the trolls' is largely an obsolete talking point from about 10 years ago when online fascists weren't really all that prevalent and people thought they actually would just 'go away' if we turned a blind eye to them

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: billyandthecloneasaurus on August 03, 2022, 10:41:02 AMYeah I know you've rolled your eyes at the "don't feed the troll" stuff before...

'lol' and 'tragic', though. What kind of response were you expecting?

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 03, 2022, 01:42:36 AM"Out of interest"
Spoiler: he's not actually interested

I am very interested, if there is such a thing. Spoiler: there isn't.

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on August 02, 2022, 07:22:30 PMwhat people

The people who first started using the word pejoratively.

Quotewhat does soft white student mean

Naïve and impressionable 18-year-olds, living without their parents for the first time.

Quotewhich jobs exactly

Journalists, moderators, HR, PR, diversity and inclusion coordinators, etc.

Quotewhy is critical race theory bad

Books could be written on this. Earlier I listed some of the black academics responsible for the best rebuttals to the phenomenon, have a google of those, expand your reading, "educate yourself" etc.

Quotethe number of students who were arsed about politics was tiny compared to the student body as a whole ... Granted, this was in the mid 00s but I doubt much has changed.

I suspect politicisation has accelerated quite a lot even just in the last six or seven years, as it has in most other fields (the long march through the institutions doesn't seem quite so long these days). You're right though, it is still just a very noisy minority, I expect most students find them really annoying, but are clever enough not to say so lest they be judged 'fash'.

Quotetaking the obvious inverse opinion to the #cabhivemind to get a reaction from people

That's not the reason. What I've actually said in this thread is pretty mild. After a few pages of lazy absolute statements, I questioned a few of them. I think this is an interesting subject, but it would be far more interesting if this sort of reaction wasn't the standard response to an apparently tribal consensus being challenged in the most milquetoast terms. If there is substance to an argument then a polite request to account for it shouldn't be such an exhausting wind-up.

sevendaughters

it's such a lame get out to say 'educate yourself' when you yourself are being pressed for the answer. which responses do you find compelling.

chip

Count Dankula doesn't actually endorse any of Hitler's views. He taught his pug to seig heil, which is funny because it's not something you'd expect an adorable small dog to do. I suspect that's why some here are confused.

Famous Mortimer

jobotic

That's literally all he did. It's not as if he attended a rally organised by Tommy Robinson and full of fascists or anything. Just a funny dog done a racism video.

Cold Meat Platter

He stood for UKIP as well didn't he? No poor-quality people ever did that.

chip

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 03, 2022, 02:10:25 PMNo it isn't

Well I mean it's subjective innit. But I think it is!

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on August 03, 2022, 02:29:28 PMHe stood for UKIP as well didn't he? No poor-quality people ever did that.

Oh yeah, I suppose there is that. Still though, not exactly full-on shared Hitler beliefs. You'd* be hard-pressed to call him an actual Nazi.

*normal people I mean, not Cabbers

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 03, 2022, 01:07:08 PMit's such a lame get out to say 'educate yourself' when you yourself are being pressed for the answer.

Yeah I regret using it to be honest, it was a jokey reference to a standard trope of progressive leftist discourse (see the number of university websites with pages headed Educate Yourself pertaining solely to issues of gender inequality and white privilege). I put it in quotation marks to make it clear it was obnoxiously flippant but should have dropped it.

Quotewhich responses do you find compelling

There are various videos, interviews, speeches, columns and books that I've taken in over the last few years that I could be searching and cutting and pasting for the rest of the day, and what compels me may not compel you, but in precis form the WSJ piece by Jason L. Riley - Critical Race Theory Is A Hustle - is a pithy and provocative start. There's a reference in there to John McWhorter's Woke Racism, which is weightier food for thought. Thomas Sowell has been critiquing the arguments underpinning CRT since the early 70s, I know him better as an interviewee but I have seen him (and others) discussing books like Discrimination And Disparities or Intellectuals And Race which I'll hope to tackle in full at some point. However, I'm not saying I'm 100% convinced by anyone about anything, and I know I have barely scratched the surface of this subject - just enough to know that there are valid arguments on both sides.

Quote from: jobotic on August 03, 2022, 02:22:35 PMThat's literally all he did. It's not as if he attended a rally organised by Tommy Robinson and full of fascists or anything. Just a funny dog done a racism video.

Even the ex-Buzzfeed hack who wrote the disingenuous report on the 'rally' for iNews quoted him that day as saying "if you want to protect the freedom of others... you're welcome in this country." The only political opinion I've ever seen him espouse is anti-statist and pro-freedom, the opposite of 'fash'.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 03, 2022, 02:10:25 PMNo it isn't

Larry David said "Heil Hitler" to a dog on Curb and it stopped barking. Is that funny?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on August 03, 2022, 02:29:28 PMHe stood for UKIP as well didn't he?

Ooh, that's way worse than some japes with his dog. You can't laugh UKIP off as a joke.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: checkoutgirl on August 03, 2022, 04:31:44 PMLarry David said "Heil Hitler" to a dog on Curb and it stopped barking. Is that funny?
You might be the first person to compare one of the most beloved sitcoms of the last decade with some ignorant fuck training his dog to do a trick, so congrats.

jobotic

What he said at the Nazi rally wasn't that bad so leave him alone.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 03, 2022, 05:12:52 PMYou might be the first person to compare one of the most beloved sitcoms of the last decade with some ignorant fuck training his dog to do a trick, so congrats.

Oh give over. The comparison was there, why are you blaming me? I'd guess David was basing his joke on the guy in Germany who was arrested for training his dog to nazi salute. It's not even Dank's idea.

Kankurette

Quote from: billyandthecloneasaurus on August 03, 2022, 02:52:58 AMBecause loads of people can't resist doing angry point by point rebuttals lol. It's tragic.
This is why I love ignore, it means not having to read pages of whatever reactionary drivel AT is posting because he wants a reaction.

j_u_d_a_s

RE: Count Dankula

Dankula trades on that "just asking questions" schtick that the likes of Glen Beck made their career on.
This video takes apart one such video where a young black man criticising how galleries only display portraits of wealthy lords and landed gentry. Dankula calls this "shitting on Scottish culture" without ever considering that the artist doing so is in fact Scottish, doesn't bother attempting to pronounce an African name and even then name's the wrong guy.

This is the mistake certain individuals make on here, and calling it a mistake is charitable because that assumes good faith on their part, by asking "what racist views have they shared?". Because the likes of Dankula subscribe to simplified reductive views on racism as if we live in a world where subtext doesn't exist. The plausible deniability of "just asking questions" while blowing the dogwhistle hard. And it's always a joke until it isn't.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on August 02, 2022, 07:22:30 PMwhat people

The tech industry graduates of course! you know those woke-liberals rolling out facial-recognition software that struggles to properly identify faces with darker-skin and generates lots of false-positives which they then sell as a solution to law enforcement and immigration offices. Those guys. Or the ones that work for Microsoft or its subsidiaries like Github who then have massive government contracts with people like the NSA and ICE. Or the ones that write surveillance software that gets sold to oppressive regimes in the global south. Or the ones that join the 'infosec' industry whose best paying roles involve defending the worst companies imaginable.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on August 03, 2022, 03:06:02 PMYeah I regret using it to be honest, it was a jokey reference to a standard trope of progressive leftist discourse (see the number of university websites with pages headed Educate Yourself pertaining solely to issues of gender inequality and white privilege).

What university webpages?

idunnosomename

Still think the thing that's really offensive about the Dankula pug video is that it involved him saying "gas the Jews" over and over

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on August 03, 2022, 02:02:45 AMWhat's Andrew Lawrence up to that he got left off this?
Last I heard of Andrew Lawrence he was touring a show called "Clean" with no politics or other offensive stuff in it. Looks like he picked the wrong year to give up bigotry.

Of course, they may well have attempted to book Andrew Lawrence the actor, Andrew Lawrence the film writer, Andrew Lawrence the basketball player, or one of several thousand other Andrew Lawrences in the world.

sevendaughters

Andrew Lawrence @andrewlawrence 7h
Lineker has been one of the Woke Left's most influential supporters. The fact that they've turned on him over a bra pun is absolutely indicative of their rank stupidity. Thick as pig shit, every one of them.

Not given up in the classic sense.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

@Autopsy Turvey but why is critical race theory bad

is all higher education bad

who should educate the naive white 18 year olds living without their parents for the first time

wrec

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on August 03, 2022, 08:30:54 PM@Autopsy Turvey but why is critical race theory bad

When you're a dog whistle / legitimate concerns racist you can't just come out and say "the couloureds shouldn't be allowed to criticise normal people like me", so instead you make scary noises about CRT and BLM

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on August 03, 2022, 08:30:54 PM@Autopsy Turvey but why is critical race theory bad

is all higher education bad

who should educate the naive white 18 year olds living without their parents for the first time

Some degree students once embarrassed AT at a houseparty 😹

Kankurette

If I hadn't done my degree I wouldn't be able to do my current job.
Quote from: sevendaughters on August 03, 2022, 07:19:09 PMAndrew Lawrence @andrewlawrence 7h
Lineker has been one of the Woke Left's most influential supporters. The fact that they've turned on him over a bra pun is absolutely indicative of their rank stupidity. Thick as pig shit, every one of them.

Not given up in the classic sense.
I'm sure Mumsnet, where I found out about Lineker's cringey tweet, would love to be told that they're 'woke left'.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

so what did Gary Lineker actually say, does anyone know

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on August 03, 2022, 10:08:36 PMso what did Gary Lineker actually say, does anyone know

"The Lionesses have only gone and done it, and Kelly is England's heroine, bra none."

Presumably 'the pun' is that he says 'bra none' instead of 'bar none'. Very droll, Gary.