Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:06:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedy Unleashed - On Tour! Run for your life wokes!

Started by jobotic, July 26, 2022, 01:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chip

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 11, 2022, 01:08:26 AMis this Edinburgh fringe show even worse

https://twitter.com/Gildedballoon/status/1556640632562716674

I dunno(somename), is it? Besides Reg and the Scottish lesbian politicians, who even are the rest?

king_tubby

phantom_power

Quote from: somersetchris on August 10, 2022, 09:58:30 PMThe people who don't want you learning CRT are the ones who want you to forget the whole genocide and slavery thing. The same ones who are always banging on about cancel culture and freedom of speech, want books with any mention of race - and you can chuck gender and sexuality in there as well - banned from schools.

The same twats who think that being honest about a country's history and that they might have behaved badly at times is unpatriotic

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on August 09, 2022, 11:32:23 PMso is it bad?

Depends who you're asking. Me, I don't claim to know - indeed as a white person I'm not sure my opinion on this is of any consequence whatsoever - but it seems, on balance, based on my limited experience and knowledge, like the arguments against are stronger and healthier than the case for.

Quotemy dear fellow, I never said I thought it was good. I asked you why it was bad.

You already know the strongest arguments against, I suspect. Me paraphrasing them at length isn't likely to help anyone.

Quotewhich teachers were passing off their opinions and 'theories' as fact?

It's a good thing you asked because I have a list of their names and addresses just here:
Mr EV Lambert, Homeleigh, The Burrows, Oswestry
Mrs BJ Smegma, 17 The Crescent, Belmont etc
I didn't even say that any teacher has ever presented their political opinion as fact, I just said a good teacher doesn't do that. However, I'm sure anyone who went to school, college and/or university has known a couple of teachers who did this. And CRT requires a lot of opinions to be assumed true (see the Loury/McWhorter transcript below).

QuoteThe people who don't want you learning CRT are the ones who want you to forget the whole genocide and slavery thing. The same ones who are always banging on about cancel culture and freedom of speech, want books with any mention of race - and you can chuck gender and sexuality in there as well - banned from schools.

John McWhorter addresses this straw man in this section of an interesting discussion with Glenn Loury:

("Utter smoking hot bullshit" is the phrase used)

This Loury/McWhorter chat/transcript might also be useful, but so might several dozen others; eloquent and rational black academic arguments against CRT are quite the rabbit hole:
https://glennloury.substack.com/p/critical-race-theory-in-us-schools

phantom_power

Some of my best citations against Critical Race Theory are black

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: phantom_power on August 11, 2022, 02:57:59 PMSome of my best citations against Critical Race Theory are black

It makes up for the fact that none of my friends are.

Seriously though, they'd have to be, wouldn't they?

phantom_power

I would have thought that if they make a good case it doesn't matter what colour they are. The flipside to that is that they shouldn't be held as an authority just because they are black.

I got through about 2 minutes of that video until the bloke on the right said that CRT is teaching that white people are wrong and that black people are being defined by their oppression and gave up as that is not what CRT is and is clearly bollocks. What is the point in arguing against a thing that doesn't exist, or if it does is a very fringe thing that misses the point of CRT and should be discussed as its own thing

I am not going to say any more on the subject now as I doubt it will get me anywhere and when things like CRT, intersectionality and "wokeness" get their meanings so twisted to mean something that can encompass any old shit people don't like then I begin to wonder what the point is

The Crumb

I liked when he said CRIMINALS!

And then when he offhandedly stated that they were killed as a consequence of their actions. Very Brass Eye 'turns out there was a perfectly good explanation all along' energy.

somersetchris

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 11, 2022, 01:08:26 AMis this Edinburgh fringe show even worse

https://twitter.com/Gildedballoon/status/1556640632562716674

oh Reg

Apart from RDH that looks the line-up of a bad lookalike agency, get a load of pound shop Clare Balding down the bottom

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on August 11, 2022, 02:53:15 PMDepends who you're asking. Me, I don't claim to know - indeed as a white person I'm not sure my opinion on this is of any consequence whatsoever - but it seems, on balance, based on my limited experience and knowledge, like the arguments against are stronger and healthier than the case for.
but why

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: somersetchris on August 11, 2022, 05:03:47 PMApart from RDH that looks the line-up of a bad lookalike agency, get a load of pound shop Clare Balding down the bottom

Lidl Felicity Kendal in the red blouse.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Just saw Tony Law at the fringe. Pleased to say absolutely zero 'anti-woke' material of any kind, just his usual enjoyable nonsense. Have got no idea what his angle is in joining this tour.

However it does delight me to imagine angry Andrew Doyle fans expecting a fun night of transphobia and having to sit baffled through Tony Laws foghorn noises, stupid accents and time travel.

jobotic

Is this shit going? Forgot all about it until I saw this

Remember...

The Crumb

Leo Kearse casually outing himself as a nonce there.

sevendaughters

i mean that's their lot now, dissolving into increasingly nasty jokes for engagement. watch all the comics with more mainstream intentions leap off in good time.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: jobotic on September 23, 2022, 09:43:46 AMIs this shit going? Forgot all about it until I saw this

Remember...

Some of the replies to that amused me.

sevendaughters

er, those are the traditional left-wing rows, the Unleashed fans don't recognise the comedic orthodoxy

king_tubby

I love the two seats booked right at the back.

'Hate the wokes but don't want anyone to see us there, Beryl'

jobotic

Wonder what those sitting at 7 and 8 are up to?

edit: shouldn't ignore the someone's already posted warning

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 23, 2022, 10:47:01 AMA hairy fanny!?!?
All right, Lady Bracknell, steady on.

phantom_power

What a surprise that a supposedly edgy free speech comedian would fall back on sexist tropes that were old hat in the 80s

frajer

Kankurette

Quote from: jobotic on September 23, 2022, 09:43:46 AMIs this shit going? Forgot all about it until I saw this

Remember...

Oh, so you don't like women who've hit puberty then? Paed.

The 'no money' makes me lol as well. Either lefties are rich middle-class poshos or we're penniless scruffs. Pick one, guys.

scarecrow

somersetchris

That's a shame because if it weren't for the political differences Leo Kearse seems like a right catch!

Quote from: jobotic on September 23, 2022, 09:43:46 AM

Love this accidental admission that right wing comedians aren't funny, but promise they're going to get better at it.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Glad to see I'm not the only one who immediately went to "obvs Mr Kearse wants to fuck little girls"

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: somersetchris on September 23, 2022, 02:10:12 PMLove this accidental admission that right wing comedians aren't funny, but promise they're going to get better at it.

Something very butterfield about it

'Don't worry; it won't happen again!'