Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:06:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedy Unleashed - On Tour! Run for your life wokes!

Started by jobotic, July 26, 2022, 01:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

king_tubby

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: jobotic on July 27, 2022, 12:52:41 PMHa ha! Thought we'd see you sooner.

You going? They might make gags about Rosie Jones if you're lucky.

Alas they're not coming close enough to warrant the fuel outlay, and I don't particularly want to see Rosie Jones mocked, more her audience.

Quote from: sevendaughters on July 27, 2022, 01:01:21 PMIf your entire raison d'etre is 'we're not woke' then it is seeing the world through that aperture.

I know, just some little point about equal and opposite reactions etc.

QuoteDon't follow your second point to me at all.

You were saying hardly anyone agrees with the progressive left, I was pointing out the phenomenon of corporations using progressive leftist values for social/cultural prestige.

QuoteYour third one seems very convenient.

It was around then, 2016/17, did you not notice it? The Brexit and Trump decisions seemed to really upset some complacent progressive apple carts. I hadn't heard the term "culture war" until around then, now it's a mainstream talking point.

QuoteI never really saw stand-up EVER as a hotbed of leftist or liberal cultural theory

That's not exactly what I'm suggesting, it's not as clever as that, but stand-ups as a breed skew to the left of centre, you must have noticed. And fair enough too, that's as it should be.

jobotic

I have had very limited exposure to Rosie Jones, never seen her stand up. See her as another not very funny panel show comedian but I tend to avoid them.

There's loads of those though. So why mention her AT. Because I'm saying that right-wing anti-woke audiences have to pretend to find the dross that Comedy Unleashed serve them funny in order to own the libs? So you're implying that Rosie Jones' audience have to pretend to like her becuase...she has a disability? If you're implying that why not just say it? You're supposed to be brave.

If not, why her?

king_tubby

Quote from: lipsink on July 27, 2022, 02:52:18 PMWho is this? Is he playing the Fringe?

It's offensive comedian Craig Ovens, mate. Far too many snowflakes at the Fringe for him to perform, the levels of offended would be off the scale. Think he's doing Skegness Butlin's next week, mind.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: jobotic on July 27, 2022, 02:45:15 PMyou're implying that Rosie Jones' audience have to pretend to like her becuase...she has a disability? If you're implying that why not just say it? You're supposed to be brave.

I didn't feel it needed to be stated any more obviously. Your line about people pretending to find an unfunny comedian funny because they're allowing personal sympathies to colour their responses brought her to mind. I thought twice about mentioning her and almost went with Nish Kumar, the ultimate "I didn't find it funny but I agreed the fuck out of it" comedian, but there's a further parallel with Rosie because being right wing is a sort of disability isn't it, a disability to perceive correctly.

Small Man Big Horse

I've only seen short clips of Rosie on tv and they didn't win me over, but I've seen her live twice and she's very, very funny, so whatever reason you chose her as your example, it's an absolutely terrible one.

sevendaughters

Disability as 'inability to do something correctly' is also a pretty dated concept.

Catalogue Trousers

QuoteAre vocally and aggressively online liberals really "a small minority" on the stand-up comedy circuit? If you mean in the wider world rather than stand-up, the concept of 'woke-washing' would seem to suggest that this ideology has been a successful and prestigious enough social trend for corporations to determine that there's money in it.

Ah, the old 'they're simultaneously pathetic and ridiculous yet they're also amazingly successful, wield phenomenal power, and want nothing more than to eternally silence us brave freeze peach warriors' schtick. If you really want the truth about that, then look at just about any newspaper columnist or editorial. The majority is still tediously intolerant, and their figureheads still very much in power. Their voices are most definitely not being silenced, yet they're so bloody sensitive about anyone who disagrees with them. Snowflakes.

Pimhole

Quote from: jobotic on July 27, 2022, 11:14:06 AMI do get cheered up by imagining the plums attending these gigs pretending to each other and themselves that they find any of this funny.

All that forced, braying laughter. Like at the Shakespeare, or PMQs.

Tania Edwards who's on the lineup is a proper crank. Microchips-in-Covid-vaccines sort of stuff. Thick as fuck.

I find it hard to get worked up about the whole Comedy Unleashed thing though. It's a very small clubnight that gets a disproportionate amount of attention.

The venues on that tour are tiny. It's inconsequential. I'm quite happy to let Andrew Doyle pretend that the likes of Nick Dixon and Leo Kearse - who are objectively fucking appalling comedians - are funny. None of these acts are ever going to achieve cut-through in anything close to the mainstream. Without Twitter they'd be nothing.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on July 27, 2022, 07:47:58 PMThe venues on that tour are tiny. It's inconsequential. I'm quite happy to let Andrew Doyle pretend that the likes of Nick Dixon and Leo Kearse - who are objectively fucking appalling comedians - are funny. None of these acts are ever going to achieve cut-through in anything close to the mainstream. Without Twitter they'd be nothing.

The Hawth Theatre in Crawley is pretty large, I saw The Rocky Horror Show there once almost thirty years ago as I grew up vaguely nearby, according to wikipedia it seats 855 but I don't remember it being that big.

sevendaughters

I like that they're playing Stourbridge, Leamington Spa, and Birmingham. That's near Jethro-levels of milking your constituency.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 27, 2022, 08:02:18 PMThe Hawth Theatre in Crawley is pretty large, I saw The Rocky Horror Show there once almost thirty years ago as I grew up vaguely nearby, according to wikipedia it seats 855 but I don't remember it being that big.

Fair fucks if they can sell that out. £23 a ticket. Though it is a Reg D Hunter night. He'll probably draw a crowd who've seen him on HIGNFY and will be pissed off to discover he's only doing 20 minutes after they've had to sit through Andrew Doyle.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on July 26, 2022, 04:34:28 PM

A reply to that...

QuoteMcFluffy
@TheMcfluffy

Replying to @MartinMorComedy and @UnleashedComedy

Apparently you are mc'ing in sheffield for them at the Montgomery on Nov 19th

5:05PM • Jul 26, 2022 • Twitter for Android

No reply to that as yet... I expect he's furiously ringing his agent...

Johnny Yesno

somersetchris

Quote from: Mobius on July 26, 2022, 10:26:59 PMThis review of one of his most recent appearances just popped up on Chortle

https://www.chortle.co.uk/review/2022/07/24/51226/reginald_d_hunter_at_latitude_2022

This doesn't surprise me at all unfortunately. I have seen Reginald D. Hunter a lot over the years and he used to be one of my favourite comedians, but I've given up on him now. Last time I saw him was probably about 2018.

The main issue I have with him is he's got fucking lazy - he doesn't really do jokes any more, just comes on and rambles about whatever it is that's wound him up. Very often, it's women. Sometimes ones he's in a relationship with, sometimes ones who've heckled him. Although he comes across as very charming and likeable on stage, accusations of misogyny have followed him around for a long time now and a lot of his act is turning into an extended 'bitches be crazy, am I right?' You notice a pattern that in all of his various hassles and confrontations with women, it's always them who are in the wrong, not him. What are the odds of that? 

He's had a lot of controversy down the years and been in the right some of the time, but seems to have got to the point where his ego has taken over - he sees himself as a provocateur who exists to challenge the establishment, and people getting upset at him are proof that he's right. I doubt he's as bananas as a lot of the other people on the bill, although he is going down the 'you can't say anything these days' route more and more.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Pimhole on July 27, 2022, 07:26:50 PMAll that forced, braying laughter. Like at the Shakespeare, or PMQs.
bit unfair to the shakesman really. a good production like anything at the Globe can be genuinely funny. there are some people who bray at the bits they learnt at school were the jokes (boris johnson) but not many. at the Globe you'd look like a right cunt if you're like haha CUNTry matters haha I know the play you fellows!!!

somersetchris

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on July 27, 2022, 10:27:23 PMlol

https://twitter.com/AndyShaw1/status/1551951897514414080

God that comes so close to self-awareness doesn't it! 'You're not being cancelled, just not employed due to your lack of suitability for the role'.

I can't wait for some of these guys to turn up on Taskmaster

Pimhole

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 27, 2022, 10:48:57 PMbit unfair to the shakesman really. a good production like anything at the Globe can be genuinely funny. there are some people who bray at the bits they learnt at school were the jokes (boris johnson) but not many. at the Globe you'd look like a right cunt if you're like haha CUNTry matters haha I know the play you fellows!!!

Fair enough. I've personally not seen live Shakespeare for decades.

Definitely like PMQs though, with about the same level of "comedy".

https://youtu.be/tr20Zg_kPC4?t=707

(how do you embed YouTube videos with a "start at" time code?)

idunnosomename

you can't. i dont think it's even a forum issue. you can't anywhere

jobotic

Quote from: somersetchris on July 27, 2022, 10:57:41 PMGod that comes so close to self-awareness doesn't it! 'You're not being cancelled, just not employed due to your lack of suitability for the role'.

But they are self-aware aren't they? They know what they're doing. I think he just came close to forgetting the grift for a moment.

Bronzy

Quote from: somersetchris on July 27, 2022, 10:46:29 PMThis doesn't surprise me at all unfortunately. I have seen Reginald D. Hunter a lot over the years and he used to be one of my favourite comedians, but I've given up on him now. Last time I saw him was probably about 2018.

The main issue I have with him is he's got fucking lazy - he doesn't really do jokes any more, just comes on and rambles about whatever it is that's wound him up. Very often, it's women. Sometimes ones he's in a relationship with, sometimes ones who've heckled him. Although he comes across as very charming and likeable on stage, accusations of misogyny have followed him around for a long time now and a lot of his act is turning into an extended 'bitches be crazy, am I right?' You notice a pattern that in all of his various hassles and confrontations with women, it's always them who are in the wrong, not him. What are the odds of that? 

He's had a lot of controversy down the years and been in the right some of the time, but seems to have got to the point where his ego has taken over - he sees himself as a provocateur who exists to challenge the establishment, and people getting upset at him are proof that he's right. I doubt he's as bananas as a lot of the other people on the bill, although he is going down the 'you can't say anything these days' route more and more.

Otherwise known as "doing a Chappelle".

kalowski

thenoise

Prince Abdi was the least funny contestant in the 2011 stand up/reality/talent show hybrid "Show me the Funny", where he was voted off after week two after failing to make anyone laugh at any point. Meandering stories with no punchline, ghastly comedy accents, Prince consistently failed to understand what comedy, jokes or humour was, in such a fascinating way that I never forgot him. Amazing that he is still attempting a career. Could be thriving for all I know.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: thenoise on July 28, 2022, 08:29:33 AMPrince Abdi was the least funny contestant in the 2011 stand up/reality/talent show hybrid "Show me the Funny", where he was voted off after week two after failing to make anyone laugh at any point. Meandering stories with no punchline, ghastly comedy accents, Prince consistently failed to understand what comedy, jokes or humour was, in such a fascinating way that I never forgot him. Amazing that he is still attempting a career. Could be thriving for all I know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxhWXdLzRXE

Laughs at his own jokes. That 4m57s feels looooonnnng.

Petey Pate

Quote from: somersetchris on July 27, 2022, 10:46:29 PMThe main issue I have with him is he's got fucking lazy - he doesn't really do jokes any more, just comes on and rambles about whatever it is that's wound him up. Very often, it's women. Sometimes ones he's in a relationship with, sometimes ones who've heckled him. Although he comes across as very charming and likeable on stage, accusations of misogyny have followed him around for a long time now and a lot of his act is turning into an extended 'bitches be crazy, am I right?' You notice a pattern that in all of his various hassles and confrontations with women, it's always them who are in the wrong, not him. What are the odds of that?

This is exactly how his act was when I saw him doing a WIP show at the Edinburgh Fringe nearly 10 years ago - an extended borderline misogynistic rant with no jokes. He even claimed that because it was 'work in progress' we shouldn't expect any jokes. It might have been the worst stand up show by an comedian of his reputation I've ever seen. I came out feeling concerned for his mental health more than anything else.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Petey Pate on July 28, 2022, 11:05:12 AMThis is exactly how his act was when I saw him doing a WIP show at the Edinburgh Fringe nearly 10 years ago - an extended borderline misogynistic rant with no jokes. He even claimed that because it was 'work in progress' we shouldn't expect any jokes. It might have been the worst stand up show by an comedian of his reputation I've ever seen. I came out feeling concerned for his mental health more than anything else.
Yeah, I saw Reginald D Hunter do a preview in Edinburgh about 4 years ago in an insanely massive room at the EICC, and he came on stage, did low-energy rambling for an hour that occasionally rose to a small audience chuckle, and walked off. It was clear he had barely prepared at all. I can't actually remember enough to say if it was misogynistic.