Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,341
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:36:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

RIP Paul Sorvino

Started by Virgo76, July 27, 2022, 07:36:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgo76

The second major actor from Goodfellas to die in a little over two months, after Ray Liotta in May.
Plus James Caan from The Godfather and Tony Sirico from The Sopranos, just in the past month! Is there some sort of conspiracy against actors who've played Mafia roles? (Answer: no).
Sorvino was 83 anyway (Liotta was just 67).
Sorvino was brilliant in Goodfellas as 'Paulie,' the local Mob boss who the kid Henry is effectively recruited by in the 1950s. By the 1980s when the film ends, Paulie has become a vulnerable, embittered old man destined to die in prison.
Sorvino was apparently convinced he'd given a terrible performance at the time. Far from it.
Not seen him in much else? Star Trek TNG once and Henry Kissinger (still alive himself amazingly) in Oliver Stone's Nixon.
RIP anyway.

badaids

Paulie might have moved slow. But it was only because Paulie was dead.

dead-ced-dead

He's fantastic in Romeo + Juliet. When he died that's what I immediately thought of, because it's not so much that he's just an overbearing father, he perfectly encapsulates an abusive patriarch and makes himself distinct from the more waspish patriarch of the other family (played by Brian Dennehy). He also does his own opera singing.

Wonderful actor. He'll be much missed.

Magnum Valentino

Listening to Sorvino speak about playing Paulie and constrasting that with how he played Paulie is a really good example of what I think acting is, at its core.

I don't know if that makes sense, hm, what I mean is I was so surprised when I saw him speak in interviews by how unlike the character he was, and how much he thought about how he played him. He wasn't just an Italian American who turned up, broadened his accent and played the hoodlum when the camera was rolling, I mean, which I think a lot of those types often are (even if they do it brilliantly and beautifully).

Seemed like a cool guy like.

dead-ced-dead

After Mira Sorvino had spoken out about being assaulted by Harvey Weinstein, he threatened to kill him.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/paul-sorvino-harvey-weinstein_n_5a4cf121e4b0b0e5a7aa2bec

Quote"Oh, yeah. That son-of-a-bitch better hope that he goes, because if he doesn't, he'll have to meet me, and I will kill that motherfucker," Sorvino said in the TMZ interview. "It's real simple."

Des Wigwam

From Popbitch:

QuoteRIP Paul Sorvino: His method of politely getting away from fans? Shaking a hand, then putting his hand on their back and saying "Now, I'm gonna have to turn my back on you."