Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:15:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Non food things that make you hungry due to their verbal similarity to foods

Started by Stoneage Dinosaurs, July 27, 2022, 04:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Whenever anyone mentions porcupines I get a major hankering for a nice pork pie.
Any reference to the Who's 'Quadrophenia' makes my mouth water at the thought of a nice packet of Quadratini (little wafer biscuit things)
I can't think of any more but I still reckon this has legs as a thread

Brundle-Fly

The term "flakey" always makes want to eat a Cadbury's Flake in an overfilled bath.

The Mollusk

At a pizza place

"How do we feel about getting a starter?"

do we

d o w e e

DOUGHY

DOUGH BALLS

The marsh mallow (plant) sounds a little bit like marshmallow (but it doesn't make me hungry because I don't like marshmallow).

Sebastian Cobb

Been doing some functional programming and now always want a curry, cheers.

Zero Gravitas

idunnosomename

canadagoose

"Salary". Sounds like "salad" and "celery" mixed. See also "garnishing" a salary.

"Relish" (v.), you know, "to relish an opportunity". Mmm, relish.

idunnosomename

when someone says testicles i think of balls. damn them balls is good! i pity the fool who doesnt like eating balls

itsfredtitmus

always want a club orange after drinking a cup of earl grey, esp if I've put milk in it. Very milky and orangey and bitter

flotemysost

Quote from: canadagoose on July 27, 2022, 10:45:22 PM"Salary". Sounds like "salad" and "celery" mixed. See also "garnishing" a salary.

"Relish" (v.), you know, "to relish an opportunity". Mmm, relish.

Too many to mention, but both of the above, definitely. Also "customer" is custard-y, Friday induces cravings for a fry-up... nothing very intellectual here.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 27, 2022, 06:31:31 PMBeen doing some functional programming and now always want a curry, cheers.

Ha. When I was learning Python, in keeping with my cryptic crossword-worthy levels of word association I thought about pies a lot. Probably more than the actual language itself, which I've failed to retain anything of.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Mobbd on July 27, 2022, 11:25:26 PM"Meat van, bread van, FOOD!"

Old man used to work for pYe telecom so obviously he drove a PIE VAN.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: flotemysost on July 27, 2022, 11:30:01 PMHa. When I was learning Python, in keeping with my cryptic crossword-worthy levels of word association I thought about pies a lot. Probably more than the actual language itself, which I've failed to retain anything of.

Oh that jogs my memory, I have to deal with Marshmallow fairly regularly.

non capisco

Anything Swiss I think of a Swiss roll. Whenever the baddies in films talk about Swiss bank accounts I think of a vault full of Swiss rolls.

Salary/celery, definitely. But it's not just celery by itself, it's the celery in those Marks and Spencer cheese and celery sandwiches. The whole lot.

The word quarter in any context makes me think of a quarter pounder burger with cheese and chips. Mmmmm, hung, drawn and quartered.

Part of my job is to assign camera equipment to film shoots and there's a camera called a Theta which just makes me think of someone with a speech impediment asking for feta cheese. This is why I'm getting quite fat. Because I'm eating all the cameras. 

The Mollusk

Door wedges or the type of shoe also called wedges, makes me think of a big triangular wedge of cheese.

Also did anyone else grow up with people calling particularly hench sandwiches "doorstops"? Again same association for me because of that. Thick sliced crusty bloomer loaf, great hunks of cheese and ham, vegetables thrown in with reckless abandon. Barely get your gob around it let alone rip apart the leathery crust.

I want a sandwich.

imitationleather

Doorstop makes me think of those overly-bready sandwiches that are extremely unpleasant to eat and cut all that middle corner bit of yer lips up where the top and bottom part meet. The sort you'd pay a stupid amount for from EAT. and the like about fifteen years ago. Chewing on a huge hunk of crust for about ten minutes and getting a headache.

Want to top myself now I've been reminded of those. Thanks.

non capisco

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 28, 2022, 12:05:10 AMTopic.

Snickers bars changed their name from Marathon as long ago as 1990 and yet the London Marathon always makes me want a Snickers.

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on July 27, 2022, 06:29:17 PMThe marsh mallow (plant) sounds a little bit like marshmallow (but it doesn't make me hungry because I don't like marshmallow).

Of course marshmallows (gelatinous sugar based semi-edible pseudotreat) were originally made from marsh mallows (plant)

Fr.Bigley

The painter Francis Bacon always makes me think of delicious Bacon.

Richard Bacon, however always makes me want to blow my nose...dunno why.

Buelligan

For Ian Austin, it's always the words "hot dogs" gets him savilating.

Replies From View

There's a place called Swiss Cottage, makes me think of cottage cheese.

Near it, Chalk Farm, which by its very definition puts me in mind of the very opposite of food, especially cottage cheese or any cheese.

Buelligan

That's odd.  I always look at cottage cheese and think, that looks like smashed up chalk from somewhere like your famous white cliffs, with a bit of water stirred in and then taste it.  And it is exactly like that.

Chalk Farm seems like the ideal farm on which to grow Swiss Cottage palate violence.

jobotic

My friend once called a Chicken Kiev a Chicken Gdansk, so now I think of chicken (which I don't eat) whenever I hear talk of the Polish port city of Gdansk (which is not that often).