Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:08:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

UB40

Started by TheMonk, July 28, 2022, 10:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

Anyway, I owe UB40 one. Because practically the first thing the woman I lost my virginity to said to me was: "You look like him out of UB40." I presume she didn't mean Astro. But you take what you can, even if she was fantasising about being with Ali or Brian that night in my parents' attic bedroom.

I don't think I look like either of them. I do have a mate who looks like Ali though. Good job he wasn't there that night otherwise I'd have had no chance.

She then said: "And you sound like Billy Connolly." Which I don't really either. I'm pretty soft-spoken. Maybe she was fantasising about being with him instead. Takes all sorts.

Pauline Walnuts

I don't know about her, but I'm getting a little turned on here.

Jockice

Quote from: Pauline Walnuts on July 30, 2022, 08:54:42 AMI don't know about her, but I'm getting a little turned on here.

I'll have to send you the link to my OnlyFans page.

Kankurette

Two of Ali's daughters are singers (Indica and Kaya). Kibibi, the one who did Something Stupid with him when she was little, is doing some kind of techie job according to her Linkedin profile, which came up when I googled her (there aren't many Kibibi Campbells out there and she's in the West Midlands area, so I'm guessing it's her).

And I've got Always There stuck in my head thanks to this thread, Guns in the Ghetto being the only UB40 album I'm really familiar with.

ETA: Ali has morphed into William Shatner, judging by recent photos of him.

dontpaintyourteeth

popping back in to say that Present Arms in Dub is also good, ta

mrClaypole

Quote from: Kankurette on July 30, 2022, 11:54:31 AMTwo of Ali's daughters are singers (Indica and Kaya). Kibibi, the one who did Something Stupid with him when she was little, is doing some kind of techie job according to her Linkedin profile, which came up when I googled her (there aren't many Kibibi Campbells out there and she's in the West Midlands area, so I'm guessing it's her).

And I've got Always There stuck in my head thanks to this thread, Guns in the Ghetto being the only UB40 album I'm really familiar with.

ETA: Ali has morphed into William Shatner, judging by recent photos of him.
Guns in the ghetto is a great song. Off the same album the track Lisa is also beautiful.

mrClaypole

Quote from: Kankurette on July 29, 2022, 10:39:20 PMIt wasn't meant to be funny. The whole thing sounds like a complete shitshow.

It is.  Sorry for flying off the handle but when you know the real truth of Ali Campbell you get angry,  he really is a c""".

TheMonk

... ellp falling inn love witchyooow"

non capisco

I always thought the bloke who used to say "Are you a sinner or a winner?" through a megaphone outside Oxford Circus tube station looked like Ali Campbell fallen on hard times.

Rizla

Of the Jahwaddywaddy years, I absolutely love "Red Red Wine", just a beautiful sounding record, so much ear candy going on there - particularly love the synth that comes in here. I won't cross the street if "I Got You" or "I Can't Help Falling In Love With You" are getting duffed up, but I absolutely will steam in on behalf of RRW.

Kankurette

Quote from: mrClaypole on July 30, 2022, 01:10:14 PMIt is.  Sorry for flying off the handle but when you know the real truth of Ali Campbell you get angry,  he really is a c""".
Details? He did come across as quite cunty in an interview I read when Guns in the Ghetto came out, he was pretty rude to the journalist, but I don't know much about him other than what's been posted in this thread. The whole thing about Astro and how he left UB40 to join Ali's project, despite hating him, is depressing as well.

mrClaypole

Quote from: Kankurette on July 30, 2022, 03:12:14 PMDetails? He did come across as quite cunty in an interview I read when Guns in the Ghetto came out, he was pretty rude to the journalist, but I don't know much about him other than what's been posted in this thread. The whole thing about Astro and how he left UB40 to join Ali's project, despite hating him, is depressing as well.

He used to be so drunk onstage that he would fire his roadie every night for the slightest thing. The next day he would've forgotten he had fired him. It became a running joke amongst the road crew who would take the bullet that night.
He hated meeting fans,  the rest of the band would hang around after a gig and chat with the faithful,  he would be in his car before the rest of the band had finished the encore.
He never attended his mum or dads funeral...
I could go on...

Keebleman

In his autobiography, James Fearnley of the Pogues describes an encounter with Ali Campbell and refers to him as both a brute and a thug.

mrClaypole

Quote from: Keebleman on July 30, 2022, 03:58:02 PMIn his autobiography, James Fearnley of the Pogues describes an encounter with Ali Campbell and refers to him as both a brute and a thug.

He's a brute, thug and deluded individual. 
There is no one in the Birmingham drinking holes who have a good word to say about him

dontpaintyourteeth

he uses coarse language at passers-by

non capisco

Quote from: Keebleman on July 30, 2022, 03:58:02 PMIn his autobiography, James Fearnley of the Pogues describes an encounter with Ali Campbell and refers to him as both a brute and a thug.

Comes onto their tourbus and calls Fearnley "fuckface" if I remember correctly. There's a twat on mi tourbus, what am I gonna do?

Chollis

"I'm a Primadonna" is one of my favourite misheard lyrics

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: non capisco on July 30, 2022, 01:40:05 PMI always thought the bloke who used to say "Are you a sinner or a winner?" through a megaphone outside Oxford Circus tube station looked like Ali Campbell fallen on hard times.

For me, Ali's doppelgänger was this little guy in the chair from Herzog's classic 1970 film, Even Dwarfs Started Small.

Kankurette

Quote from: mrClaypole on July 30, 2022, 03:38:57 PMHe used to be so drunk onstage that he would fire his roadie every night for the slightest thing. The next day he would've forgotten he had fired him. It became a running joke amongst the road crew who would take the bullet that night.
He hated meeting fans,  the rest of the band would hang around after a gig and chat with the faithful,  he would be in his car before the rest of the band had finished the encore.
He never attended his mum or dads funeral...
I could go on...
Yep, we've got a Grade A cunt right here. I get some artists are shy or whatever but the fans put UB40 where they are and it wouldn't have killed him to at least say hi.

mrClaypole

Quote from: Kankurette on July 30, 2022, 08:19:24 PMYep, we've got a Grade A cunt right here. I get some artists are shy or whatever but the fans put UB40 where they are and it wouldn't have killed him to at least say hi.
I'm too drunk to know if that is sarcasm or not.
Anyway Ub40 are far from being a spent force.
They still have their political teeth
https://youtu.be/Sj0rcI0ndwk

https://youtu.be/pOkgD__gwVI

imitationleather

Quote from: non capisco on July 30, 2022, 01:40:05 PMI always thought the bloke who used to say "Are you a sinner or a winner?" through a megaphone outside Oxford Circus tube station looked like Ali Campbell fallen on hard times.

Ha. Yes, there was a definite resemblance.

mrClaypole

Of course the reggae legend album

https://youtu.be/x8xdPoDLnwQ

Kankurette

Quote from: mrClaypole on July 30, 2022, 08:37:07 PMI'm too drunk to know if that is sarcasm or not.
Anyway Ub40 are far from being a spent force.
They still have their political teeth
https://youtu.be/Sj0rcI0ndwk

https://youtu.be/pOkgD__gwVI
No, I'm not being sarcastic, Campbell does sound like a cunt (and I'm a Pogues fan so admittedly I'm biased).
Quote from: mrClaypole on July 30, 2022, 08:32:20 PMhttps://youtu.be/jVAD9z3gL9s
Jesus, that's sad. His poor kids. And Brian as well, imagine finding out someone you've been mates with all your life has turned on you like that.

It's bad enough when friends fall out but Ali's rotten behaviour seems to have torn his family apart.

Keebleman

Quote from: Chollis on July 30, 2022, 05:46:15 PM"I'm a Primadonna" is one of my favourite misheard lyrics

I thought that's what it was until this thread prompted me to look it up.