Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:45:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Is Wild Cherry's 'Play That Funky Music' a bit racist?

Started by Bennett Brauer, July 29, 2022, 01:30:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bennett Brauer

Not so much because of the 'white boy'/reverse racism thing, but because it seems to be an artificial and arguably disrespectful pastiche of black funk and disco.

They were originally a meat and potatoes rock band, and the (possibly untrue) story goes that someone in the crowd shouted 'When are you white boys gonna play something funky?', which inspired the song, and then an album of less catchy grooves looking to cash in on the disco boom.
It obviously owes a lot to EW&F's Shining Star and the lead vocal is a virtual parody of Maurice White that is borderline taking the piss. I remember rock hack Dave Marsh calling it out, possibly in a Rolling Stone Record Guide book, but I can't find any reference to it online.

The problem is that it's a song with an irresistible hook, which could be why no one cares.

Bennett Brauer

Possibly just me then.

It's the unnatural lead vocals, especially the vamping between lines, that sound like he's imitating a black vocalist but in a derogatory, cartoonish way. I'll stick with the Average White Band, thanks.

PaulTMA

non capisco

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on July 29, 2022, 11:51:06 PMIt's the unnatural lead vocals, especially the vamping between lines, that sound like he's imitating a black vocalist but in a derogatory, cartoonish way.

Ooof yeah, that ain't good. YASS I DID! and all that shite. Bit too much of the old Black and White Minstrel Show wide eye rolling as well as if he think's he's already in the makeup. The only two people required to do a synchronised dance are the black horn section.

YOOOOOU'VE GOT A FRIEND IN MAX THE LIOOOOON.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: non capisco on July 30, 2022, 01:23:08 AMOoof yeah, that ain't good. YASS I DID! and all that shite.

Exactly. They were an unsuccessful rock band who were persuaded to change their tune to accommodate the disco boom and basically ripped off EW&F and Maurice White's lead vocal in a really dodgy way.

QuoteBit too much of the old Black and White Minstrel Show wide eye rolling as well as if he think's he's already in the makeup. The only two people required to do a synchronised dance are the black horn section.

The four horn session players on the original song were white, so it looks as if the two in the video were being employed a little cynically.

willbo

wokies cancelling everything out here, till we have no culture left

The Mollusk

Nowadays if you call yourself white you get thrown in jail.

Nah I sort of agree though. At the very least there's something unpleasantly cynical about the whole thing. Maybe it's that they're being like "look, anyone can do it" and the whole thing sort of feels like they're taking the piss to some extent? I mean if this direction was prompted by a heckle as the story goes (and presumably a heckle from a non white person) then it is of course extremely cynical. The whole thing leaves a sour taste.

I've never liked the song but never given any thought to why because it's never grabbed my attention enough - probably because on a subconscious level my brain was like "nah this ain't the real deal mate" - but looking further into it now, yeah, it sucks.

Bennett Brauer

If you think about all the black comedians who've made fun of the way white people dance I suppose it does balance out.

Yeah, I'm not outraged about it or think it should be retrospectively cancelled or anything, I just find it interesting that I can't find anyone even slightly questioning it.
I guess it's just accepted as a perennial funk banger and no one's thinking about a one-hit band that split up over 40 years ago.

SteveDave

For some reason I always thought this was by the Average White Band.

Cursus

Found this piece, which cites criticisms following the group's appearance on Soul Train:

Petey Pate

I recall David Bowie's appearance on Soul Train - as mentioned in that extract-  being a subject on Gregg Proops' podcast some years ago. He described the black audience as looking very confused at what this white British man was doing. Here it is on YouTube.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Cursus on July 31, 2022, 12:42:03 PMFound this piece, which cites criticisms following the group's appearance on Soul Train

Thanks, although that isn't specific to Wild Cherry so much as white soul and funk acts in general. I don't see any disrespect or inauthenticity with any Average White Band tracks, for instance, but then I don't have a black person's perspective.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Petey Pate on July 31, 2022, 05:55:20 PMI recall David Bowie's appearance on Soul Train - as mentioned in that extract-  being a subject on Gregg Proops' podcast some years ago. He described the black audience as looking very confused at what this white British man was doing. Here it is on YouTube.

I've seen this before and always put it down to more "what is this coked up lunatic babbling about?" rather than it being a white English fellow.

Petey Pate

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on July 31, 2022, 06:07:33 PMI've seen this before and always put it down to more "what is this coked up lunatic babbling about?" rather than it being a white English fellow.

Ha! Most likely.

Bowie's Fame was 'authentic' enough for James Brown to rip it off, although its possible the guitarist who wrote the main riff came up with while he was in Brown's band. Either way, Bowie was apparently incredibly flattered by the steal.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on July 31, 2022, 06:00:31 PMThanks, although that isn't specific to Wild Cherry so much as white soul and funk acts in general. I don't see any disrespect or inauthenticity with any Average White Band tracks, for instance, but then I don't have a black person's perspective.

Having said that I've just remembered the original cover of their debut album that went nowhere. I'd be surprised if the band had any say in it, but...

It was re-released with a different cover after the success of their second album (the one with Pick Up The Pieces on it).

Brundle-Fly