Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:59:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Orbital stuff / general appreciation

Started by M-CORP, July 29, 2022, 08:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkfromhavana

There was "A Live From The Brain" compilation that had an Orbital track on it called "Son Of Chime", but not sure if this was just labelled incorrectly.

surreal

Just a bump for the first single from the new album "Optical Delusion" due 17th February.  Wasn't too sure about this at first as I find Sleaford Mods a bit of an acquired taste, but I actually really like it now.  Bit of a banger - it always seems that Paul is the craftsman, but it needs Phil to bring the rave:

purlieu

Some lengthy discussion about the track and stupid album formats: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=98300.0

I tried listening to it again and it's still my least favourite Orbital track. Never thought anything would displace the David Gray one.

surreal

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: surreal on October 31, 2022, 01:48:06 PMBit of a banger

I concur. I like it, but it's not as entertaining nor incisive as any of Kunt's recent output.

I like it also especially because Straight Sun appeared in the suggestions right-hand column and I'd completely forgotten how much I love that track. I know it's just a beat and a bunch of cut-'n'-paste arpeggios that don't come across like it took the bros any longer than an afternoon to throw together, but there's just something about it which shivers my timbers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9USCcjfNm8

I didn't like 'Smiley' from earlier this year when I first heard it, but all those oh-so-Eighties World In Action samples have hauntologically awoken something in me of late...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6Gq50dDKMs&t=34s

M-CORP

Thought I'd bump this thread as there's a new Orbital single that came out today:

Yes, Orbital's response to COVID is a rave version of 'Ringa Ringa Roses'. A fun listen, while also being suitably ghosty. It does remind one of countless old Orbital tracks - whereas the last single could have come off 'The Altogether', this feels more old school - but at the same time it feels modern enough to not seem like they're foaming it in too much. Video's also pleasantly less 'ordinary' than the last one.

The contrast between this and 'Dirty Rat' makes me quite excited for the full album in February. But what does everyone else think?

surreal

Quote from: M-CORP on December 07, 2022, 06:41:17 PMYes, Orbital's response to COVID is a rave version of 'Ringa Ringa Roses'. A fun listen, while also being suitably ghosty. It does remind one of countless old Orbital tracks - whereas the last single could have come off 'The Altogether', this feels more old school - but at the same time it feels modern enough to not seem like they're foaming it in too much. Video's also pleasantly less 'ordinary' than the last one.

The contrast between this and 'Dirty Rat' makes me quite excited for the full album in February. But what does everyone else think?

Yeah if you didn't see the name you'd know that was Orbital straight off, going back to the old synth patches and sounds and keys/chords it seems.  The whole 30 years sentimentality is clearly pushing Paul towards old school composition.  Album could be quite eclectic.

M-CORP

Another single incoming. Called 'Are You Alive?', based on a track Paul Hartnoll originally wrote for his 'Virus Diaries' project a couple of years back with Murray Lachlan Young, only now it's got vocals from Penelope Isles. More old-school Orbital stuff, not quite as zany as the last two singles - getting Grant Fulton 'Befast Wasted' vibes from the lyrics.

Not supposed to be out until February 1st, but it's already showing on Orbital's YouTube homepage. Click here if, like me, you can't wait until Wednesday.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: M-CORP on January 28, 2023, 01:11:24 PMMurray Lachlan Young
Bloody hell, there's a name I've not heard in a few years.

M-CORP

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 28, 2023, 03:05:36 PMBloody hell, there's a name I've not heard in a few years.

Here's the thing they did together if you're interested. A mixed bag but some good stuff there. Bear in mind it was originally a project for Radio 6 - doing a track very quickly every week during the first lockdown - rather than an intended album.
https://hartnollandyoung.bandcamp.com/album/the-virus-diaires

Beagle 2

Sorry, this isn't music related but the thread reminded me that about ten years ago my boss, who lived in Brighton, was bemoaning the fact that everybody there was a ponce who reckons they're some sort of creative, and we had this exchange:

"Even the bloke who lives above me reckons he's some sort of famous DJ, I'm not sure I believe him though"
"Oh really, what's his name?"
"Phil Hartnoll"
"What, like, Phil Hartnoll from Orbital?!"
"Yeah that's it, why, are they famous?"

Wouldn't you at least google it?!

M-CORP

The latest Orbital single is officially out, and I still like it a lot. Could have structured the ending with a bit more finesse, but it's at least not TOO Tiktok-friendly - everything's here, the thoughtful melody, the biting lyrics...

The direction Orbital are going in at the moment gets a bit of flak from some online keyboard warriors, with Optical Delusion looking set to continue the gauntlet laid down by The Altogether - shorter songs, greater variety of tones and collaborators. I genuinely think that since the turn of the century Orbital have been more interested in a kind of abstract eclectic art pop, than making another expansive techno opera like In Sides. This may upset some, but I rather like both approaches - would be nice to get another 10-minute song at some point, but this is a good compromise.

Thoughts?

surreal

I get the impression that Orbital now is pretty much driven by Paul, with Phil only playing a smaller role - I think I heard that the Paul / Phil track spread is 7/3 on this new one.  Phil always seems to have been behind the bangers and Paul has become more thoughtful with his compositions over the years, following on from his 8:58 thing.  But I guess that Paul realised that without Phil there is a key thing missing, which is why his solo stuff has not really hit the mark for me.

Norton Canes

Quote from: M-CORP on February 01, 2023, 02:02:54 PMThoughts?

Bit beige. Got a pleasant second album sort of clunk to it. Better (or at least, more distinctive) vocalist needed. 7:50 isn't a bad return from them these days.

steveh

From a first listen I like this a lot more than the last album. More new ideas and a more original sound I think.

Doesn't seem to have been any collaboration between them though: "We had every intention of getting together at some point. But Phil didn't really want to write music during the whole lockdown, so I ended up just finishing the tracks on my own. Then towards the end, Phil managed to get four tracks together from the little bits that he'd done. But I didn't have any influence on them at all."