Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:00:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Rewatch

Started by Lemming, August 01, 2022, 02:25:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lemming

Looks like we're doing this! Who's up for another 176-episode marathon?

As always, no idea what the best way to do this is, but the last thread basically went fine. We can start whenever, go at any pace, all that. All are welcome to join!

Here's our scoring system, as devised by daf in the TNG thread:

Quote from: daf on July 28, 2022, 07:13:55 PMDeep Space Nine Ratings :

0/10

- - - - -
1/10

- - - - -
2/10

- - - - -
3/10

3/10

- - - - -
4/10

- - - - -
5/10

- - - - -
6/10

- - - - -
7/10

- - - - -
8/10

- - - - -
9/10

- - - - -
10/10

- - - - - - - - - -

Which episode will receive the first GARAK OF GLORY? Will we ever have cause to deploy the FONTAINE OF FAILURE? Let's find out!

Malcy

Zero Gravitas

Fuck Vic Fontaine, All My Homies Use Vulcan Love Slave, Part II

So hype for this, Duet and Move Along Home both in the same season! A station of contrasts indeed.

daf

Quote from: Malcy on August 01, 2022, 04:34:21 AMQuark & Vic as low scores?

Will knock you up a couple of alternatives later - what scores do you want Quark and Vic at?

I'll also need an alternative 0 and 1 for you - Kai Wynn? Jake? Keiko? Wayoun? . . . Something like that - whatever you like.

Blumf

Was thinking that we could run a character ratings list as we go along. As new cast come along, or old characters change enough, there's mileage in debating who ranks over who.

Joe Qunt

Offended that the greatest captain in the history of Star Trek is relegated to 5/10. But other than that very accurate. Can't wait to watch it all over again.

Malcy

Quote from: daf on August 01, 2022, 08:00:02 AMWill knock you up a couple of alternatives later - what scores do you want Quark and Vic at?

I'll also need an alternative 0 and 1 for you - Kai Wynn? Jake? Keiko? Wayoun? . . . Something like that - whatever you like.

No need, just surprised to see Quark so low down at least.

Lemming

In the event of nobody being able to agree on a 0/10, I nominate Okona again. Not even in DS9 but he's so shit that his naffness echoes down through the franchise.

Quote from: Blumf on August 01, 2022, 10:47:29 AMWas thinking that we could run a character ratings list as we go along. As new cast come along, or old characters change enough, there's mileage in debating who ranks over who.

Ooh yeah, like at the end of each season? That could be interesting and the flexibility could be nice - I was regretting placing Troi as a mere 4/10 for the bulk of the TNG run when she should really have been 6 or 7.

Chollis

Kai Wynn for 0/10? although I do quite like Vic there pally

Not sure Ezri deserves to be in there, what about Weyoun?

daf

Quote from: Chollis on August 01, 2022, 11:16:01 AMNot sure Ezri deserves to be in there, what about Weyoun?

Think Jadzia Dax should be in there - but I could add a new 3/10 (other than Ezri) after she leaves - Plenty of options.

Actually, maybe Worf shouldn't be in there till he turns up!

daf

Quote from: Malcy on August 01, 2022, 11:05:48 AMNo need, just surprised to see Quark so low down at least.

Yes, I had him at 9/10, but he got swapped with Morn - who I'd put at 1/10 - purely as he was such a big bugger I thought he looked best on his own!

I'll do a tweak - probably have him in Worf's spot at 6/10, and have Kai Wynn as a new 1/10.

The worst character, and zero if ever there was one, is Vedek Bareil, the most boring character in the history of Trek. He didn't even improve when they replaced half his brain with cogs and gears.

Mr Trumpet

Vic deserves to be there. Nobody likes that crooner shit

Poobum

Vic ain't that bad. "His Way" and "It's Only a Paper Moon" are great episodes. His song at the end as everyone is about to go their own way really hits home now I'm older and more sentimental. I agree on Bareil though. Bajoran Dukat could be a good zero, I always skip past that on rewatches.

Blumf

Quote from: Lemming on August 01, 2022, 11:06:15 AMIn the event of nobody being able to agree on a 0/10, I nominate Okona again. Not even in DS9 but he's so shit that his naffness echoes down through the franchise.

I have a pitch for him, as a kinda bounty hunter, in a TNG spin-off centred around Earth based civilian law enforcement.

QuoteOoh yeah, like at the end of each season? That could be interesting and the flexibility could be nice - I was regretting placing Troi as a mere 4/10 for the bulk of the TNG run when she should really have been 6 or 7.

Yep, there's loads of character development, as well as new regular cast coming in. It seems wrong to pick the list at the start and stick with it.

samadriel

Just caught the episode where Worf marries Dax today.  Lovely final shot,
Spoiler alert
i would've loved it if Worf forgot to warn Dax he was about to get attacked, hoho
[close]

daf

OK, how's this -

Deep Space Nine Ratings :

0/10

- - - - -
1/10

- - - - -
2/10

- - - - -
3/10

- - - - -
4/10

- - - - -
5/10

- - - - -
6/10

- - - - -
7/10

- - - - -
8/10

- - - - -
9/10

- - - - -
10/10

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
We can rejig the list as we go on - tweaking for each season : e.g. adding Worf when he turns up (season 4) and when Sisko grows his beard (season 3). All suggestions welcome!

Zero Gravitas

Wonderful Butternut

Better. Also no Worf. Keep it that way. In DS9 he's mostly a cunt.

Chairman Yang

I think daf's nailed it. 0 for Bareil is perfect, and I'm a Vic Fontaine apologist but he can absolutely get to fuck to 1/10.

As part of this challenge I'll be keeping a count of 'Interesting Bajoran Men'. I expect I won't need two hands.

Sex Wax

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on August 01, 2022, 04:40:19 PMBetter. Also no Worf. Keep it that way. In DS9 he's mostly a cunt.
The episode where he goes on holiday and joins Alpha Men Assemble is horrible.
Also 0/10 should be that little bastard Rom.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Chairman Yang on August 01, 2022, 05:01:01 PMAs part of this challenge I'll be keeping a count of 'Interesting Bajoran Men'. I expect I won't need two hands.

Or fingers.

elliszeroed

Heretical: Replace Morn with Nog. I loved his story.

Mobbd

I can't imagine anyone not liking Winn, Weyoun or Rom! They're all brilliant.

Worf is a cunt in DS9 and a mostly boring one to boot. I'd put him at 1 and give Vic some slack. Or Admiral "Beltbuckle" Ross? Or Alexander! Ziyal maybe? (Not her fault but I think Berman wanted to de-gay our boy Garak).

To be honest, there are so many great, great characters in DS9 and so few bad ones. Kira is better than 4 but it took me a decade to figure that one out and you've got some real stars at the top end of the ranking so where she is is probably fair.

Psyched for this rewatch! And congrats on doing the whole of TNG, y'all.

Here's Renegade Cut on Kai Winn, btw. He makes a great case.

daf

Malcy

daf