Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:05:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Big Brother coming back?

Started by Ja'moke, August 01, 2022, 08:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ja'moke

Big Brother is apparently returning four years after it was dropped by Channel 5. ITV have picked it up and is set to relaunch it on ITV2 next year.

An official announcement is expected tonight.

I stopped watching the regular series long before it ended, but the celebrity edition was always good for a laugh (the David's Dead moment remains one of the all-time greatest TV moments).

Noodle Lizard

It's like that girl who everyone in a friend group has dated at one point or another!

Still, I hope this goes ahead. It's one of my most beloved things to hate-watch. I enjoyed being disappointed each and every series by how much the producers couldn't get it right, but you'd occasionally get spontaneous moments of brilliance (like the "David's Dead" farce you mentioned) or a character you couldn't wait to spend more time with.

Bring back 24 hour live feed.

Ja'moke

The announcement is expected during the Love Island finale later.

up_the_hampipe

I've always loved Big Brother even after it was relevant, so I'm excited. I do really hate the way ITV produces television, so I hope the production team are able to do their own thing. Interested to see who they'll bring in to host.

up_the_hampipe

Pretty pathetic that I got chills hearing the music again.

Ja'moke

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on August 01, 2022, 10:34:16 PMPretty pathetic that I got chills hearing the music again.

Hits those nostalgia buttons just right.

Zero Gravitas

Another one for the engine of culture is dead column.

Sebastian Cobb

I wonder if putting it in the hands of ITV will cause more premature deaths and mental health problems?

Ja'moke

Here's a question, has there ever been another TV show that has aired on all four of the main terrestrial broadcasters? Because with Big Brother heading to ITV, that means it's been on Channel 4, Channel 5, BBC (the first Celebrity Big Brother), and now ITV.

Zero Gravitas

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Ja'moke on August 01, 2022, 10:46:37 PMHere's a question, has there ever been another TV show that has aired on all four of the main terrestrial broadcasters? Because with Big Brother heading to ITV, that means it's been on Channel 4, Channel 5, BBC (the first Celebrity Big Brother), and now ITV.

Diana Death was on pretty much all of them, mostly at the same time.

I imagine similar will happen when Prince Philip dies.

Magnum Valentino

Bad Ambassador

Star Trek has in some form been on all five terrestrial channels.

Hundhoon

Hope this is like when a beloved old band reforms and sells out stadiums. Although no one can remember their last album. Its going off on Twitter. I think it's been out of the public consciousness for a bit. Could have possibly waited a few more years But I think there is something about the format that just works. As proven in the longevity in the US and Brazil,  It's not a soap there are no certainties certain things have to come together. 
I think Channel 4 got scared of it didnt know how to handle it even when it was their biggest show by far and had  millions of viewers...was slight decline and  then Channel 5...well is channel 5. Think ITV is better for it.
The biggest obstacle is Ofcom still dealing with that repression but if they can get round that it will be great

Uncle TechTip

Keeping the music is a good start, it's the very definition of a signature tune. Just the first few seconds and you know what's coming.

The cast is absolutely crucial to the show so I'd be pessimistic about how much I'd get out of it, if Love Island is anything to go by. Another important element was the humour of BB and the things they made them do so if they get this right, could be a winner.

Always thought that if you don't like Big Brother, you just don't like people. Live, unscripted soap opera, what could be better.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Hundhoon on August 02, 2022, 12:08:46 AMThe biggest obstacle is Ofcom still dealing with that repression but if they can get round that it will be great

Now you mention it, I think the whole Jade Goody racism row might have been the first proper celebrity "cancellation" I remember. That or Sachsgate, whichever came first.

GMTV

Be interesting if they adopt the no bevvy strategy of love island. Or that is to say it won't be interesting, as it'll be a group of people sitting in a big room bored out their skull for weeks on end.

George Oscar Bluth II

Wonder how it fits in the more scripted/structured reality scene of the 2020s. Will they make a big thing of the fact they're going back to basics/it's a social experiment/let's just watch and see what happens or will it be a bit more...Love Island.

And crucially, when is it going to happen? Love Island currently has the prime Big Brother season of June/July locked off on ITV2.

Replies From View

This is why I didn't rejoice when Neighbours died.  It'll be back on Babestation or wherever and your gran will pretend she wasn't watching that channel all along.

Big Brother cried wolf when it left C4, as well.  End of an era my actual arse.  There are children visiting these boards who have never known a world without Big Brother.

oggyraiding

I didn't watch much of the Channel 5 BB, it seemed a bit tacky compared to the C4 shows. Though I'm unsure if C5 exploited the mentally ill as much as C4 did, they might have done, but just got no press coverage because it's Channel 5. I think I watched a bit of the Celebrity one with India Willoughby. Actually looking at the contestants for that one, you have Dapper Laughs, Anne Widdicombe, Rachel Johnson, LEGEND cheeky chappy LAD Andrew from the Apprentice. Lots of people to hate. ITV should surely be able to bring in bigger names for the celebrity ones. Maybe give Barrymore another go.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on August 02, 2022, 08:47:51 AMNow you mention it, I think the whole Jade Goody racism row might have been the first proper celebrity "cancellation" I remember. That or Sachsgate, whichever came first.

I think it was responsible for Big Brother's general decline in popularity as well. So many other shows have endured, many of them far more repetitive, but BB couldn't get out from under that scandal.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on August 02, 2022, 12:17:50 AMAlways thought that if you don't like Big Brother, you just don't like people.

It's probably more that I don't like the sort of people that reality television seems to attract, those who are incredibly insecure and vulnerable and thus massively overemphasise their own superficiality as a replacement for having a personality.

Given ITV's track record for aftercare, fully expecting a mass suicide of contestants six months after the first series ends.

Ja'moke

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on August 02, 2022, 09:50:12 AMWonder how it fits in the more scripted/structured reality scene of the 2020s. Will they make a big thing of the fact they're going back to basics/it's a social experiment/let's just watch and see what happens or will it be a bit more...Love Island.

So far, they seem to be promising a more back-to-basics format with contestants from "all walks of life."

It's also only going to be 6 weeks long.

Hmmm, if they were putting it out at 9pm on the main channel, I might have had more faith. The ITV2 demographic is all young lasses. They're just gonna fill the house with orange folk and get them all to tash on :(
I hope I'm wrong.
ITV2 demo don't know nuffink about no mummy McCall neither, so they won't be wasting money roping her in :(
This'll be some monkey paw shit, right here.

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on August 02, 2022, 09:50:12 AMWonder how it fits in the more scripted/structured reality scene of the 2020s. Will they make a big thing of the fact they're going back to basics/it's a social experiment/let's just watch and see what happens or will it be a bit more...Love Island.

And crucially, when is it going to happen? Love Island currently has the prime Big Brother season of June/July locked off on ITV2.

The winter? mid Jan to March.

Love Island have been quite canny this year by paying attention to social media and having producers and other behind the scenes people doing AMAs on Reddit before and during the series. I'd imagine a Big Brother team seeking public opinion for how they'd like the show to be. Chances are many would want a diverse age range and people without social media clout.

Which comedian would host Big Brother's Big Mouth?

thr0b

Six weeks in summer following the summer Love Island series. Makes sense.

August to mid-September.

Then the winter Love Island series will follow.

up_the_hampipe

It's worth noting that Big Brother only ended on Channel 5 in 2018. The C5 version had some aesthetic changes and certainly some influencer types were selected, but it didn't stray too far from what it was at its height.

beanheadmcginty

Will there be any wine bottles going into fannies in this one?