Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:22:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CHAT PILE - GOD'S COUNTRY

Started by The Mollusk, August 04, 2022, 02:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

Fuckinell

Debut album from this American bunch is one of the most utterly horrible, bleak, misanthropic noise rock/sludge metal albums I've heard in ages. Really, just straight nasty. Lads, why.

Hearing lots of stuff in here - the evil bass tone, clawing guitars and dense reverby drums are hugely reminiscent of classic 90s noise rock, and what's particularly impressive is that amidst the relentless misanthropy the band finds some seriously killer grooves at times. There are very strong overtones of big names like The Jesus Lizard, Big Black and Unsane. Like if David Yow was just an up and coming artist right now and he was reflecting on the state of America in 2022, yeah, this is it. Violent, unhinged, miserable, fucking gnarly.

This fuckin zipped by on first listen, such an assault on the mind like getting your head kicked in when you're pissed and having no idea how long it went on for and how long you've been lying alone in the gutter afterwards. The penultimate track provides some minor respite before the closer, the phenomenal "grimace smoking weed.jpeg" which is a 9 minute pummel detailing vicious stoner psychosis hallucinations of PURPLE MAN, STOP COMING INTO MY ROOM

Gonna need some time to process this before I play it again but I absolutely loved it.

Paging @Greg Torso

Dr Trouser

Oh that's great, it sounds like my 89/90 record collection melted into one slab of noise. Skirting close to the Happy Flowers at some points. Thumbs up from me.

Gradual Decline

More bands should electronic drum kits.

Liking this so far... suitably intense.

Bit of a Daughters vibe flying about.

The Mollusk

Yeah I didn't wanna mention Daughters, their music is undeniably incredible but Alexis Marshall might as well be dead in a ditch for all I care.

Gradual Decline

Ah yes. Still, I always preferred As The Sun Sets...

Terence Bowl

"Chat Pile, I interview a group of celebrities while lying on top of them. No? Monkey Tennis?"

Shaky

Discovered these guys a few weeks ago (they've released quite a few EPs/single over the last few years, natch) and they're fucking ace!

dontpaintyourteeth

was on the fence about this band until I saw them tweet:

"To clarify, we are not influenced by nu metal, we are influenced by
@Korn. There is a huge difference."

anyway yeah this stuff is class

Dirty Boy

Hmmm it is very Daughters innit? particularly the guys voice/lyrics.

It's not bad though. The last song is definitely the most aggro thing i've heard in a while.

The new Conjurer album is excellent, should you fancy more sludgy goodness.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Dirty Boy on August 05, 2022, 04:27:24 PMThe new Conjurer album is excellent, should you fancy more sludgy goodness.

Wasn't too taken by this on first listen as it's way more mopey and less riffy than the first album which I thought was fantastic. Need to revisit it though!

Deliciousbass

Fucking loving this. I agree with the comparison to other bands mentioned above (particularly Jesus Lizard), but I do feel like Chat Pile are carving out a unique style for themselves.

'Why?' really resonated with me - it totally captures the sense of maddening confusion and rage I would feel as a teenager looking at how fucked it is that people live sick and homeless whilst massive flats are left empty unused for years (the lead singer's instagram links to a homeless charity which is a big 'nice one lads' in my books). I really love his vocal delivery on 'Pamela', a sort of post-sob lilt that really drives home the sorrow and anger of losing someone close to you (though it slightly bugs me that it's based on the mother in Friday 13th). Love it.

iamcoop

Yeah this lot are fucking sick

The Mollusk

"Why" is such a crucial example of how this band utilises simplicity to devastating effect. The message doesn't need to any more complicated than this and it's not reductive to make it that way. Why do people have to live outside? It's a testament to the brutal effectiveness of their sound despite being distorted to fuck and relying almost entirely on just chugging, ugly grooves and harrowing vocal assaults on both the singer's and the listener's mental stamina. It's as challenging as it is cathartic.

Dirty Boy

Enjoyed it more the second time. They're definitely doing something...

I can hear some Unsane and Big Black in them, but there's an angularity and fucked up sense of deviant humour to The Jesus Lizard that imo a lot of these bands (Metz, Pissed Jeans etc) lack, so the comparison often niggles me a bit.

The new Conjurer struck me as varied rather than mopey, but you're probably right. I did really like that first album, but i haven't really given it much time since it came out.

There's mega riffs on the new one too!

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

This is good. I like that the vocalist seems a bit like an Eric Wareheim character. That's it, that's my contribution.

iamcoop

"Dallas Beltway" off the Remove Your Skin Please EP is such a nasty beast of a tune.

I like all their breakdowns that sound like Korn playing hardcore but after taking loads of xanax. Proper nasty lyrics too.

COME TO THE U.K. BOYS EH

thugler

I dig this. Production has a pleasingly old school vibe, love the guitar sounds and singers yelps. It's great to hear a band of this style where every instrument is distinct and combines so well rather than the mud soup you often get. It's gnarly but has a proper groove to it.

Funny that tweet mentions Korn since this genuinely reminds me of their first record at times, definitely the singer. 

iamcoop

@The Mollusk Cheers for the heads up. I think God's Country has immediately become my top album of 2022 already. Been absolutely smashing it repeatedly. I adore everything about it.

The Mollusk

Quote from: iamcoop on August 16, 2022, 06:12:50 PM@The Mollusk Cheers for the heads up. I think God's Country has immediately become my top album of 2022 already. Been absolutely smashing it repeatedly. I adore everything about it.

Ah you're welcome! Always love to get people into music, one of life's great joys for me. That and listening to it.

Deliciousbass

Good god they look good live

Has anyone seen 'Tenkiller'? Stars the lead singer and soundtracked by Chat Pile.

Pink Gregory

Feel like I should be much more onto this but I just sort of...can't be arsed with harsh vocals any more?  Just kind of does nothing for me.

I go as far as Eyehategod and that's kind of it

Pink Gregory

Yeah clearly I had a stick up my rectum that day because this is clearly very, very good.

I get bored of this kind of thing dead quickly at times but there are actual songs amongst it, production gives it loads of space to breathe.

Deliciousbass

Wuh-heyyy!

Definitely check out their 2019 EPs if you haven't already, they really hit the ground running.

The Mollusk

These nutters are touring in August alongside their ArcTanGent slot. Got a ticket to see them at the Dome and am very excited to have my skin flayed off.

boki

Quote from: The Mollusk on March 31, 2023, 06:45:33 PMThese nutters are touring in August alongside their ArcTanGent slot. Got a ticket to see them at the Dome and am very excited to have my skin flayed off.
Come to ArcTanGent, pussy. I want to show you off to my mathcore mates

The Mollusk

Quote from: boki on March 31, 2023, 09:45:06 PMCome to ArcTanGent, pussy. I want to show you off to my mathcore mates

Can't afford festivals this year I'm afraid lad, tasty though the lineup is, I'm ploughing most of my disposable income into the honeymoon savings till November.

iamcoop

The breathtaking arrogance of these cunts not playing Newcastle. Beggars belief it really does.