Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:26:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sandman (Netflix)

Started by shoulders, August 05, 2022, 10:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dayraven

QuoteI forget how the comics began
But you've accurately described it, anyway.

elliszeroed

Quote from: Dayraven on August 06, 2022, 07:54:17 PMBut you've accurately described it, anyway.

Is this what the kids call a win?

Mister Six

dontpaintyourteeth

Very curious show this. Acting quality varies wildly.

Catalogue Trousers

Personally, I'd just like DC to make a Tales From The Crypt-style House Of Mystery series. Get Cain, Abel, hell Elvira (yes, she's DC canonical because of these comics) in to host, or circulate them: do weekly half-hour episodes with nasty twists, all of that good shit. Gaiman could probably do those well, and it'd be an ideal proving ground for new horror-writing talent too.

olliebean

Quote from: shoulders on August 06, 2022, 06:46:02 PMOther than the narrator's slightly annoying tone that wasn't the problem, at least for me.

At least it's not Gaiman narrating, like in the audio version. Talk about an annoying tone.

Critcho

I've got past the first book on this. I wouldn't say it's bad, but I often have a bit of a problem with overly faithful comic adaptations, because comics are a visual medium in the first place and the art is a big part of the appeal. So you often end up with something that's similar to the experience of reading the comics, but doesn't add a whole lot, and in various subtle and not so subtle ways is not as good.

Norton Canes

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on August 06, 2022, 12:28:45 AMwhy is his jaw like that does it mean something

It's like Gordon Brown's sex face. Ew.

Norton Canes

+++ SPOILERS +++

Watched the first couple of episodes. Its biggest problem seems to be that you can't just take one of the greatest comic series ever, make a pretty faithful TV adaptation and expect it to automatically become one of the greatest TV series ever. They're different media and allowances have to be made. Like, it's way too slow and portentous - they desperately needed to snap the pace up. Also, though most of the performances aren't too bad they're not always appropriate. For example, the grief Cain and Abel feel at the impending death of Gregory - it's acted by Sanjeev Bhaskar and Asim Chaudhry as if they're in some distressing heavyweight terminal illness drama culminating with the death of a loved one, but, that's not appropriate because it's a CGI gargoyle and one that's only been on screen for a couple of minutes at that. You can't just milk the scene for sorrow.

Sadly the other big problem it's got is that Tom Sturridge is playing Morpheus all wrong. And quite badly, in fact. Far too ponderous with his delivery - it's a real chore to listen to him get through some lines - and that weird mouth shape thing he's doing, sorry... looks and sounds horrible.

Going to persevere (if only to see more David Thewliss, who's pitched his role perfectly so far) but I suspect the main interest will be in seeing how they treat the various storylines and how well the celeb thesps cope, neither of which should be a primary motivation. 

Dr Rock

Quote from: Norton Canes on August 08, 2022, 02:20:24 PM+++ SPOILERS +++

Sadly the other big problem it's got is that Tom Sturridge is playing Morpheus all wrong.

Have to agree. He's the weakest link.

dontpaintyourteeth

The lass that played Lyta was very bad

Dr Rock

And I did want a comics accurate Death.

Catalogue Trousers

I didn't want Jenna Coleman playing Constantine.

*Insert Rolling Stones song chorus here*

Inspector Norse

Watched the first two and it's... mixed? Like Good Omens was really.

Some performances good, some bad. Not convinced by Sturridge at all. Lucien/ne is pretty bad too, overenunciating in a really wooden way, though the writers haven't helped her by giving her nothing to say other than "now what Morpheus is doing here is..." exposition, telling the immortal Lord of Dream things that he has presumably known for billions of years anyway. Quite enjoying Holbrook as the Corinthian though from a narrative point of view it feels like they've introduced him too early and given him too much prominence. Richardson and Thewlis added a bit of proper quality.

There are some scenes that have really got the atmosphere and look right and been absorbing and had me getting drawn in, then others that jar and push me right back out again.

Someone mentioned that Gaiman isn't as good a showrunner as he thinks he is: I think that applies to everything else too, but weirdly I had hopes for this because while I'm not a Gaiman fan or a big comics guy, I did really like the Sandman series. Years since I read them but a lot of details and plots stayed with me. I think that it's one work where Gaimain's flaws with plot and coherence really worked, because the chaotic mix of ingredients and ideas was what kept you (me) in any case coming back; so far, the TV show has tried to make everything make sense right from the start with all the expository narration and dialogue, and has killed a lot of the mystery and wonder. The best moments have been when Sturridge and Lucienne have shut up and let the world build itself.

Natnar

I agree that Morpheus is the weakest list. He comes across at the start like he's just finished being the lead singer in some 90's Emo band, although he does improve nearer the end of the series. The best episode for me was the slow building
Spoiler alert
Thewlis In A Diner
[close]
one.

Oh, and it does all seem to turn into
Spoiler alert
The Witches
[close]
near the end

mjwilson

I know that "oh if you stick with it it will get good" is a cliché of the streaming era, but episode 5 is very strong.

The Culture Bunker

I'm up to episode six, and I agree with the feeling so far that yer man playing Dream is a bit too vapid (and not in a good way, as you'd expect the personification of dreams to be a bit distant, I guess) but there's enough to make me want to see it out. I did enjoy the storyline with Hob/Robert - checked out the actor afterwards and turns out he's Ben Kingsley's lad.

Bently Sheds

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on August 06, 2022, 12:44:59 PMIs it perhaps, then, best summed up with a Good Omens comparison - the telly version's fine, as long as you haven't read the source?
Yeah. I've not read the comics and I enjoyed it. Same as the live action Cowboy Bebop - enjoyed that, but then watched the anime and understood why the fans were rioting over it.

My biggest gripe was with the shitty English locations that totally failed to look like the America  they were trying to be (the beach, Rose's house & the estate it's on) gave it a definite air of 80s Dr Who.

elliszeroed

Just released: A Dream Of Cats, an animated tale of the comic story. Plan to watch later.

mjwilson

Quote from: elliszeroed on August 19, 2022, 01:10:32 PMJust released: A Dream Of Cats, an animated tale of the comic story. Plan to watch later.

Sneaky bastards, I just cancelled Netflix because Better Call Saul had finished.

Shaky

I've not read the comics but I'm rather enjoying this four episodes in. Sort of feels like the better episodes of modern Doctor Who with much improved effects.

MojoJojo

I actually really liked this, having read the comics ages ago and forgotten them. It's a shame Morpheus is a bit crap. Not entirely sure it can all be blamed on the actor, he doesn't seem to have been given much to do.

Alberon

I know the actor has been getting a lot of stick for his performance but it is what the character is like.

Norton Canes

Yeah once you see Morpheus as a bit of an entitled prick it all makes sense

Shaky

He's absolutely fine in the few episodes I've seen. Little flickers of life here and there, and he manages to convey some sort of internal change as he becomes more aware of humanity etc. Not sure what else is expected, really.

MojoJojo

A bit of charisma, I think. It's accurate to the comics, but with TV you normally want a lead you'd like spending time with. Imagine being sat next to Morpheus at a wedding.

Glad to say, with one exception, everyone I've spoken to in real life about this has really liked this.

Alberon

Norton Canes

Phew. We can all sleep soundly

Small Man Big Horse

I'm still very, very slowly making my way through this, I loved "The Sound Of Her Wings" and thought it was an almost perfect adaptation, but the second section with Hob didn't work so well for me. I love the character in the comics but it felt like the actor was doing an impersonation of Martin Freeman's Tin from The Office, bar the occasional David Brent-esque line delivery, and so I didn't enjoy it as much.

George White

Is it just me or Desire a bit Clare Balding, hence me shouting 'Bunteh' a la Al Needham whenever they appear...