Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:08:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Favourite Enfield/Whitehouse creations

Started by beanheadmcginty, August 07, 2022, 02:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beanheadmcginty

When I think about it, these two have created pretty much all my favourite sketch comedy characters. My favourites include:

The old gits
The scousers
Unlucky Alf
Smashy and Nicey
Mr Cholmondley Warner
Self Righteous brothers (my personal favourite)
Lovely wobbly randy old ladies

Anyone got any other favourites?

jamiefairlie

Cholmondley Warner and all their other period-based observations of public information films, TV shows and the like.

Shaky

There's a fish n chip shop near me in Brisbane called "Chumley Warners," which I always find a bit irritating.

LordMorgan

Smashy and Nicey,
The standalone special they did was fucking excellent. Rather poignant as well.

Cholmondley Warner, loved the football sketch. Charles "Charlie" Charles

Pink Gregory

The Landlady and the Confectioner is one of my favourite things ever.  Anything in which Enfield in particular is willing to just be really strange.

Also have a lot of time for that bizarre Postman Pat but dubbed over in Italian thing.  Can only assume that it's directly based on something but if it's imagined whole cloth even better.

shiftwork2

shoulders

The Italian Postman Pat was an idea inspired by Il Postino, a film out around the same time. Given the content of the sketch I don't think the inspiration was more than skin deep, but it is still reasonably funny.

Kankurette

Besides Il Postino Pat, I love the Terminator/period drama parody. If we're talking regular characters, the Self-Righteous Brothers.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: shoulders on August 07, 2022, 07:18:52 AMThe Italian Postman Pat was an idea inspired by Il Postino, a film out around the same time. Given the content of the sketch I don't think the inspiration was more than skin deep, but it is still reasonably funny.

Ahh, see I would have seen the sketch years after the fact.  Still, "Signora Goggins" pleases me a lot.

The Plain-Speaking Yorkshireman amused me a few times.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I think it only appears in one episode, but English for Aliens made a big impression on my family. Three decades later, we still respond to someone being boring by saying, "Really? How interesting."

Icehaven

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on August 07, 2022, 09:21:48 AMI think it only appears in one episode, but English for Aliens made a big impression on my family. Three decades later, we still respond to someone being boring by saying, "Really? How interesting."

Same! Just been rewatching the first two series on Netflix for the first time in about 30 years and I can't believe how much has stuck in my head for all that time. Smashie and Nicey saying "Nice lady, nice lady, nice lady", Kevin's "Bloody hell Baldrick", loads of bits. And surely the English for Aliens aliens inspired the Teletubbies?

jobotic

Quote from: LordMorgan on August 07, 2022, 05:51:33 AMSmashy and Nicey,
The standalone special they did was fucking excellent. Rather poignant as well.

Cholmondley Warner, loved the football sketch. Charles "Charlie" Charles

I often think of the phrase "the goalkeeper barely had time to put out his cigarette" when watching football. Presume it's from that sketch?

Pink Gregory

"Ah yes, but spare a thought for those plucky losers!  Hard luck, Scotland!"

See also the noise Greyson makes when being punched by the mugger in the Self Defense sketch.

"Noyeek!  Oiyeek!"

Actually those sketches mystify me in how they're so seperate from the others.  Whitehouse and Burke never appear in them, and Mr Cholmondley-Warner is never in any other sketches.  Who is he anyway?

non capisco

Dave Nice dancing with Freddie and the Dreamers on Blue Peter and getting hoofed in the bollocks is my personal highlight of their catalogue. Smashie & Nicey: End Of An Era is pretty much gold all the way through, come to think of it. "Swearing crescendo...on the ruddy, rotten dole!"

Bennett Brauer

I have a soft spot for The Bores - Conceded! Indeed! - who didn't appear as much as they should have done.

Quote from: Icehaven on August 07, 2022, 09:52:47 AMSmashie and Nicey saying "Nice lady, nice lady, nice lady"

Not nice, but great? 'Kate Adie, great lady.' 'Great lady, Kate Adie.'

Icehaven

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on August 07, 2022, 10:17:25 AMI have a soft spot for The Bores - Conceded! Indeed! - who didn't appear as much as they should have done.

Not nice, but great? 'Kate Adie, great lady.' 'Great lady, Kate Adie.'

I could have sworn it was nice lady in the one I watched the other day, but maybe I'm wrong.

beanheadmcginty

Forgot to mention Whitehouse as the Dutch policeman. Every Dutch person I've shown it to says that it's an almost faultless accent. By far the best they've heard from a non-Dutchie.

superthunderstingcar

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on August 07, 2022, 09:21:48 AMI think it only appears in one episode, but English for Aliens made a big impression on my family. Three decades later, we still respond to someone being boring by saying, "Really? How interesting."
One of the greatest sketches of all time, IMO. Geoffrey Perkins's put-upon voiceover makes it.
"Oh Jesus Christ!"
"Baby Jesus... awwwww."

Other one-off sketches I love include Terminator 3: A Merchant Ivory Production, Benny Elton, and The Playboys, the latter a piss-take of Jason King and other '70s telefantasy nonsense.

Smashie and Nicey: The End of an Era and The Story of the Twos may have been years apart, but both were packed full of well-observed pastiches of bygone TV eras, as well as being very funny throughout.

sutin

Big Bob Joylove.

"Ah, I getcha! You get yourself somethin' nice and i'll have my tea, ev'ryone's 'appy!"

Twilkes

Quote from: shiftwork2 on August 07, 2022, 06:48:30 AM40-45 years.

Came here to post this - apparently that nugget of material pre-dates them but the execution is incredible, as is the brazen number of times they reintroduce it, including a multi-level one at the end.

The bit where Lance can only sing in Italian.

The father of the gay son was pretty sensitively done and forward-thinking for its time, the father being the object of laughter, never the son and his boyfriend.

"Women - know your limits."

The fishermen who talk about high culture behind their mate's back was also good and had a bit of character depth, not sure if that was a one-off though.

As a child I loved the superheros all living in the house but I'd imagine it hasn't aged particularly well.

And Slade At Home, but that was Vic & Bob. :)

Harry Enfield seems to have gone by the wayside in public opinion a bit, but I'm sure everyone will realise again how fantastic he was once he dies and has a BBC weekend dedicated to him.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Twilkes on August 07, 2022, 12:10:12 PMHarry Enfield seems to have gone by the wayside in public opinion a bit, but I'm sure everyone will realise again how fantastic he was once he dies and has a BBC weekend dedicated to him.

I assume the Windsors was well-recieved?

McDead

Quote from: Twilkes on August 07, 2022, 12:10:12 PMAs a child I loved the superheros all living in the house but I'd imagine it hasn't aged particularly well.

Dunno about it aging well, but it's still very funny and stupid. I love that the ice character is called Cometh the Iceman. The Fire Guy is played by Inspector Lynley!

Catalogue Trousers

QuoteAs a child I loved the superheros all living in the house but I'd imagine it hasn't aged particularly well.

The Palace Of Righteous Justice? Nah, it's still marvellous.

I also like that Eastern European couple watching telly, loving Mr Bean but being non-plussed and bored by Ricky Gervais.

'Bwabwabwabwabwabwabwabwa wer-OOPS'

McDead

I quite often say (or at least think) "I hope you die soon" from the excellent swinging sixties movie pastiche Poppet on a Swing. And I've not been able to sing "Come all ye Faithful" since without throwing in "chriiiist, I'm bored." Like Python for the generation before, Harry Enfield was THE source of comedy quotes for all the drippy, smart arse, not very good at PE types at school.

shlug

JesusAndYourBush

I'm not that arsed about the "only me" character, but I'm amused by the fact that his catchphrase is possibly influenced by this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRv3i8mIcFs&t=119s

Tikwid

Still find myself from time to time thinking about JONNY ET BING PRESENTENT: L'ÉDITION SPÉCIALE CITRON DRACULA FOOTBALLING (ÉDITION SPÉCIALE DU VAMPIRE FOOTBALL)