Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:03:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Favourite Enfield/Whitehouse creations

Started by beanheadmcginty, August 07, 2022, 02:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Gregory

It pleases me no end whenever I think of Daniel Kaluuya's filmography including both Parking Pataweyo and Huey P. Newton.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on August 08, 2022, 01:15:23 PMAs you imply, there were quite a few, often Nigerian, new recruits with a reputation for appearing out of nowhere and

giving out parking tickets for illegal parking.

McDead

Quote from: Pink Gregory on August 08, 2022, 01:50:22 PMIt pleases me no end whenever I think of Daniel Kaluuya's filmography including both Parking Pataweyo and Huey P. Newton.

Yet I always secretly think of him as Parking Pataweyo, despite the Parking Pataweyo sketches being absolute rubbish.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

It's been written on here before about how some of the later works of Harry and Paul have a tendency to be weird rather than amusing. The genuinely disturbing Mr. Psycho Bean got mentioned last time. I'm undecided about those black and white Landlady/ Travelling Salesman sketches, I think they were going for some kind of Pinter pastiche, an interesting idea, but I can never bring myself to give anything other than a wry smile to them.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on August 08, 2022, 01:55:34 PMgiving out parking tickets for illegal parking.

Not sure why you need to post that when it's implied anyway. I was pointing out the reputation, right or wrong, that inspired the sketch.

Icehaven

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on August 08, 2022, 12:43:39 PMOne of them's called Dave Nice so "nice lady" as a repeated catchphrase wouldn't really work.

That's exactly why I'd have thought it would work, as a deliberate reference to his name, but ymmv.

Matthew Dawkins Jub Jub

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on August 08, 2022, 02:09:27 PMIt's been written on here before about how some of the later works of Harry and Paul have a tendency to be weird rather than amusing. The genuinely disturbing Mr. Psycho Bean got mentioned last time. I'm undecided about those black and white Landlady/ Travelling Salesman sketches, I think they were going for some kind of Pinter pastiche, an interesting idea, but I can never bring myself to give anything other than a wry smile to them.

No marrows for Maisie?

Thursday

Tuppenny Butterquims?

markburgle

Pink Gregory

Mavis Grind

Some of my favourites -

Julio Geordio

I Saw You Coming

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: McDead on August 08, 2022, 02:02:07 PMYet I always secretly think of him as Parking Pataweyo, despite the Parking Pataweyo sketches being absolute rubbish.

You never had to park a car in Islington in the '00s. I found it hilarious. I wasn't in the EDL at the time.

Mobius

Seems like the only way to watch Fast Show is buying it on Amazon Video. How shit

neveragain

Quote from: Mobius on August 09, 2022, 12:57:11 AMSeems like the only way to watch Fast Show is buying it on Amazon Video. How shit

There's quite a good DVD boxset (with only a few items of note missing).

merri

Quote from: non capisco on August 07, 2022, 10:43:41 PMSome very iffy decisions in Harry and Paul.

Such as doing blackface for example (the Nelson Mandela sketches).

Pink Gregory

Quote from: neveragain on August 09, 2022, 01:03:56 AMThere's quite a good DVD boxset (with only a few items of note missing).

What's missing from the set?

madhair60

Quote from: Pink Gregory on August 09, 2022, 04:25:19 AMWhat's missing from the set?

The live shows, which you can get separately. A few cuts, like the George Formby/Prince sketch. I think.

shoulders

Matthew Dawkins Jub Jub

Quote from: Mavis Grind on August 08, 2022, 09:26:36 PMSome of my favourites -

Julio Geordio

I Saw You Coming

I don't think Julio Geordio is the funniest character by any means, but he's an excellent example of what a talent Paul Whitehouse is with linguistic humour. It reminds me of that old guy who used to gobbledygook. I think he showed up in Carry On Regardless, maybe.

Jack Shaftoe

Not a character, but the 'if only we could be more like our friend the Arab', cut to them firing AK47s out of the window to celebrate passing a driving test etc is right on the line for me, like if it was done with a touch less glee it would be rubbish, but I think they get away with it.

neveragain

Quote from: Pink Gregory on August 09, 2022, 04:25:19 AMWhat's missing from the set?

The above mentioned, and this:
https://youtu.be/vC98qE1Uxt0

Plus stuff like the Fosters Funny sketches and the Just Load A Bloomin Catchphrases stuff, which fair enough came after the DVD set was released.

DVD edits are listed here:
https://www.dirtyfeed.org/2015/11/the-fast-show-series-2-dvd-edits/

Although the first sketch in this package was also missing from the first series:
https://youtu.be/vAQNweGsKqM
...and the band Level 42 playing 'Forever Now' during a quickie in the credits of one episode, whereupon Paul Whitehouse comes on and interrupts them.

Pink Gregory

Never seen that before, fuckin brilliant

neveragain

The Mollusk

Really wish Chris Langham didn't turn into a fucking nonce because I thought Help! was brilliant and contained some of Whitehouse's most well developed characters. Two that stick out (albeit admittedly not for very funny performances) are the old bloke dealing with his wife's Alzheimer's and the guy who keeps fronting that he's fine until he eventually just goes blank and flatly admits in a really vague and sad way that he doesn't have any idea what's going on or how to exist.

Haha!

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Matthew Dawkins Jub Jub on August 09, 2022, 09:35:19 AMI don't think Julio Geordio is the funniest character by any means, but he's an excellent example of what a talent Paul Whitehouse is with linguistic humour. It reminds me of that old guy who used to gobbledygook. I think he showed up in Carry On Regardless, maybe.

Stanley Unwin

studpuppet

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on August 07, 2022, 10:43:31 AMForgot to mention Whitehouse as the Dutch policeman. Every Dutch person I've shown it to says that it's an almost faultless accent. By far the best they've heard from a non-Dutchie.

This would be mine also, not just because of the faultless Whitehouse accent, but the manner in which they managed to write around Enfield not being able to do it. Lots of relationships have a talkative one and a quiet one (cf. Roy from The Fast Show), so to write that in and then block in certain actions and looks in the background is genius. Wouldn't work if both did the accent, wouldn't work if it was just Whitehouse, but together they're perfect, and Enfield contributes as much to the humour as Whitehouse.

jamiefairlie

I am the minister for guitar based rock!