Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:54:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Armando Iannucci to make a comedy about superhero movies

Started by Mobius, August 09, 2022, 12:17:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2022/08/08/51394/armando_iannucci_to_make_a_comedy_about_superhero_movies

Armando Iannucci is teaming up with Sam Mendes to make a comedy series about the making of superhero blockbusters.

Writers are Marina Hyde, known for her satirical newspaper column in The Guardian; Keith Akushie, who created the  Charlotte Ritchie and Tom Stourton sitcom Siblings; and Dead Pixels creator Jon Brown, who will be the showrunner.

Marina Hyde?!

Hope this is better than Avenue 5. Got to be better than writing a poem about COVID. The last thing I enjoyed from Iannucci was Death Of Stalin, 5 years ago.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

oh I hope it's about a superhero blockbuster movie that costs $90 mill and then the company just shelves it because fuck that diversity shit, white men are our target demographic

Sgt. Duckie

Kinda hope he gets Michael Keaton into this project.

Cold Meat Platter

Marina Hyde voluntarily (I assume) had romantic intercourse with Piers Morgan. I've no idea about the impact of this on her comedy writing but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Bennett Brauer

Saw this the other day

Even putting cynicism aside, it baffles me that there's an audience for this sort of thing.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Sgt. Duckie on August 09, 2022, 12:28:20 AMKinda hope he gets Michael Keaton into this project.

"Groot, Red Guardian, Korg, Batroc the Leaper, Vision, Taserface, Dormammu, Arnim Zola and Ego the Living Planet. Pass the po-tah-toes please."

Mobius

ajsmith2

Imagine if 'Marina Hyde' in this report was a misprint for 'Sam Hyde'.

Crenners

imitationleather

As everyone knows, I hate to be pessimistic. But there's more chance of Rome turning against the Pope than of Iannucci ever again making something that's funny.

shoulders

Hello Iamarmando, please to enjoy my industry satire cocking a snook at the preciousness of the staff, nepotism and over-promotion of people beyond their capacity. Written by Marina Hyde.

On the off chance this works out well because it takes one to know one then Iannucci's next work should be penned by Milo Yiannopoulos and Katie Hopkins.

Virgo76

[/quote]The last thing I enjoyed from Iannucci was Death Of Stalin, 5 years ago.
[/quote]

If I gave up on everyone who hadn't produced a funny, clever and successful film since 2017, there wouldn't be many people left.
Honestly! Who cares that he wrote some of the best Alan Partridge, much of The Day Today, The Thick Of It, In The Loop, Veep and Death of Stalin?
What's he done for me this week?
Nothing. So fuck him.

elliszeroed

Well, it's got the guy who remade It's Always Sunny created Siblings working on it, so I'm sold!

up_the_hampipe

Armando's gonna be fuming when he gets round to watching The Boys.

Virgo76

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on August 09, 2022, 10:24:51 AMArmando's gonna be fuming when he gets round to watching The Boys.
The Boys isn't a comedy.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on August 09, 2022, 12:43:00 AMSaw this the other day

Even putting cynicism aside, it baffles me that there's an audience for this sort of thing.
looks like shes been through an AI profile pic maker

phantom_power

Fucking hell. The thought of Marina Hyde being let loose on scripted comedy is both depressing and fascinating

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Virgo76 on August 09, 2022, 10:39:18 AMThe Boys isn't a comedy.

It is partly a comedy, unless you see a man fucking an octopus as very serious, and it satirises the some of the things this show will be.

dissolute ocelot

Ha ha ha they're standing in front of a greenscreen wearing a funny spandex costume! Hilarious!

The talent list is kind of mystifying. Sam Mendes has done a wide range of work from Shakespeare to James Bond, but nothing involving superheroes or comedy. Iannucci doesn't particularly have a record in this area either, although he's certainly done a wide range of stuff too.

No idea what Marina Hyde is bringing to this, and I never saw Siblings. I'm one of the few people here who liked Dead Pixels, but horny gamers in bedrooms trying to negotiate basic adult tasks don't obviously relate to Hollywood actors. Online gaming and superheroes are not the same thing.

Do any of them have any sympathy, knowledge, or understanding of superheroes? Or are they just going to make jokes about Robert Downey Jr and The Incredible Hulk?

Joe Qunt

SIBLINGS = SHITE

SAM MENDES = SHITE

MARINA HYDE = SHITE CUNT

JON BROWN = BITCH

AVENUE 5 = SHITE FOR CUNTS

IANUCCI = BITCH

DEATH OF STALIN = OK

5 YEARS AGO = IN THE PAST

ajsmith2

'Brown and Akushie previously worked with Iannucci on his sci-fi comedy Avenue 5,  starring Hugh Laurie, which is reportedly coming to an end with its upcoming second season.'

An Office-style decision to quit while they're ahead, or being quietly brought to an early conclusion because not that successful?

Jack Shaftoe

It fell on its arse and died because Iannucci kept throwing out the scripts at the last minute and no-one knew what the hell they were supposed to be doing. According to a friend who worked on the show.

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on August 09, 2022, 11:14:38 AMNo idea what Marina Hyde is bringing to this, and I never saw Siblings.

Apparently I'm one of the few people who enjoys her columns, but she does seem to genuinely like a lot of pop culture stuff in a non-snobby way, so I'm interested on that alone. 

dontpaintyourteeth

Jack Shaftoe

I mean, probably, yes, on a statistical basis alone.

FalknerHinton

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on August 09, 2022, 11:24:37 AMApparently I'm one of the few people who enjoys her columns, but she does seem to genuinely like a lot of pop culture stuff in a non-snobby way, so I'm interested on that alone. 

I'm one of those few, even though she's a) firmly in the centrist melt category (especially about Corbyn) b) massively posh and c) had an affair with Piers Morgan. There's something about her writing that I really enjoy. I'll probably even buy her book when it comes out in the autumn.

Jack Shaftoe

The Piers Morgan thing is so awful everyone else in the media must just have agreed never to mention it, like that Sun editor who went straight back to work after doing time for murdering his wife with an axe. Only a bit worse than that, obviously.

Gurke and Hare

Not comedy admittedly but the consensus was that Iannucci's David Copperfield film was pretty good wasn't it?

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on August 09, 2022, 11:43:43 AMThe Piers Morgan thing is so awful everyone else in the media must just have agreed never to mention it, like that Sun editor who went straight back to work after doing time for murdering his wife with an axe. Only a bit worse than that, obviously.

Wasn't he her ten years older than her boss when she was right at the start of her career? Pretty gross really.

phantom_power

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on August 09, 2022, 11:43:43 AMThe Piers Morgan thing is so awful everyone else in the media must just have agreed never to mention it, like that Sun editor who went straight back to work after doing time for murdering his wife with an axe. Only a bit worse than that, obviously.

I remember when he died there were several obituaries that completely forgot to mention it