Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:24:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Armando Iannucci to make a comedy about superhero movies

Started by Mobius, August 09, 2022, 12:17:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Quote from: notjosh on August 11, 2022, 12:54:31 PMHancock... Super... Mystery Men...

Agree that it does feel like crowded territory and a waste of time for someone whose comedy once felt cutting-edge. But his track record still earns him enough benefit of the doubt for me to watch one episode.

As mentioned above, it's a parody of the superhero filmmaking industry, not (or not just) superhero films.

13 schoolyards

Quote from: Mister Six on August 11, 2022, 02:03:19 PMAs mentioned above, it's a parody of the superhero filmmaking industry, not (or not just) superhero films.

Yeah, if it was a parody of superheroes it'd be a decade too late and crap. But as a parody of the top end of the film-making business, there's plenty of room for it to work.

I mean, I assume it's mostly going to be jokes about how stressful it is wrangling a lot of people to make a movie happen and not about how Marvel's movies are 100% in the pocket of the US military, but you never know

dr beat

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on August 12, 2022, 08:04:15 AMBut as a parody of the top end of the film-making business, there's plenty of room for it to work.

Yes I could see that working, particularly if shot in the TTOI style. 

I do think there is a film to be made about the making of the most recent Star Wars trilogy, but for obvious legal reasons it will almost certainly never happen.  This might be near enough even if its more about superhero films.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: dr beat on August 12, 2022, 08:24:41 AMI do think there is a film to be made about the making of the most recent Star Wars trilogy, but for obvious legal reasons it will almost certainly never happen.  This might be near enough even if its more about superhero films.
I can see the Disney Star Wars saga making a great book, like The Battle of Brazil about the Terry Gilliam film and its trials getting released. Not sure how you'd film it, or whether it had too much decision-by-committee to form a strong narrative, but certainly it would be a tale of stupidity and woe.

Mister Six

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on August 12, 2022, 08:04:15 AMI mean, I assume it's mostly going to be jokes about how stressful it is wrangling a lot of people to make a movie happen and not about how Marvel's movies are 100% in the pocket of the US military, but you never know

?

Dayraven

Based on the complaint that films that need access to US military help for military-related scenes (which some of the Marvel films would fit) end up defanged of any criticism because of it.

boki

"We're so good at televisionmaking superhero films!

Mister Six

Quote from: Dayraven on August 12, 2022, 03:54:49 PMBased on the complaint that films that need access to US military help for military-related scenes (which some of the Marvel films would fit) end up defanged of any criticism because of it.

Yeah, I've seen that before and it's bollocks. They point to Captain Marvel, a film that revolves around the US Air Force being so horrifically sexist and oppressive that the only way for a woman to fly is to be imbued with space powers and kidnapped by aliens. A film in which the protagonist learns that she was brainwashed by a warmongering government to engage in a one-sided "war" intended to oppress a race of people whose limited attempts to fight back are portrayed as terrorism, and in which the climactic punch-the-air moment is the soldier refusing to follow orders, beating the shit out of her former teammates and commanding officer, and telling the oppressive military power to do one.

If that's US military propaganda, it's startlingly poor.

Even in the rest of the marvel films, the army is barely glimpsed, and when deployed it's either an outright enemy (The Incredible Hulk), something that gets in the way of doing the right thing and even endangers civilians (the WWII US Army ignoring Captain America's abilities and just using him as a propaganda tool, or firing nuclear missiles on New York in The Avengers, or provoking Wanda in WandaVision), or just generally ineffectual (the Iron Man movies).

Yeah, the US military wants script approval in exchange for borrowing their planes/pilots/barracks/whatever (much the same as a shopping mall or school would, if you were to shoot on their property - Grosse Point Blank wasn't able to shoot at the actual Grosse Point High School because they objected to the idea that one of their students might become a hitman), but that's obviously not the same as "being 100% in the pocket of the US military", and obviously they're not very good at picking up on the subtext in any case. Or the text, for that matter.

PlanktonSideburns

Yea the directors and scriptwriters of those marvel films can barely steer the ship sometimes, so many chefs on the go, that multiverse film was barely Sam Rami propaganda

13 schoolyards

I was merely suggesting that in a comedy you'd assume they'd be exaggerating some things for comedic effect, and Marvel / Disney / all of Hollywood's tight links with the US military is something they could make (possibly exaggerated) fun of. I doubt they will, but you never know.

It's not Disney nor a superhero movie (or is it), but the latest Top Gun is both 1000% "the US military is awesome, check this cool shit out" and "oh no, our enemies are even better than we are, we're totally fucked!", which seems like the kind of thing a comedy about making a blockbuster film could make fun of.