Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:06:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Trump's Mar-a-Lago Home raided by FBI

Started by Cold Meat Platter, August 09, 2022, 12:30:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: jobotic on August 12, 2022, 11:25:37 AMhttps://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/aug/12/fbi-search-trump-mar-a-lago-home-classified-nuclear-weapons-documents-report

I didn't know about the nuclear football and the nuclear biscuit.

I mean hello? Did I miss a nuclear meeting?

Nuclear biscuits are called nuclear cookies in America. A proper American nuclear biscuit is actually closer to what we would call a nuclear scone.

imitationleather

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: jobotic on August 12, 2022, 11:25:37 AMhttps://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/aug/12/fbi-search-trump-mar-a-lago-home-classified-nuclear-weapons-documents-report

I didn't know about the nuclear football and the nuclear biscuit.

I mean hello? Did I miss a nuclear meeting?

I knew the president carried a little card with the password to the nuclear football on it, I didn't know the called it the nuclear biscuit.  (The password is allegedly 0000.)

Quote from: checkoutgirl on August 12, 2022, 11:35:14 AMHunter Biden's laptop is hilarious. That's the best they can come up with. They can't even make up something about Joe. Hilary's emails, Hunter's laptop, that's the absolute best they can come up with.

My favourite is "If it can happen to Trump it can happen to you". As in a search of your home. As if most people didn't know that if they broke the law the police would come after them. Although there are millions of entitled Karens and Kevins who seem shocked to be arrested when they break the law so that narrative actually makes some sort of sense.

After watching the soap opera for the last few years it appears a fair few of the plot strands are coming to the final phase. With hilarious results.

It's because they don't see "criminal" as a label, they see it as a class. They believe criminal is something certain demographics inherently are, whether they commit crimes or not.

It's why they are so indifferent to poor, black men being unlawfully killed by the police. That person, regardless of innocence was a criminal, so it's the police just doing their job. By extension, the police who commit such crimes cannot be criminal, because cops aren't part of the criminal class.

Wealthy conservatives are, by their own definition, not criminals, so any attempt to investigate the crimes they commit must be a politically motivated attack on their freedom.

Buelligan

Say what you like about Trump, he has the most enormous arse.

elliszeroed

So, they were classified documents, under which Trump could be prosecuted under an Espionage Law.

Sources are saying they are related to "nuclear" somethings, whether domestic or foreign is unclear.

But Trump says he declassified them before he left office, so it's okay...

Seriously, if the "deep state" think he has knowledge and documents relating to the USA's nuclear defence arsenel and plans, and knowing he has loose lips... well, I think he might be Epstein'd

Crenners

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on August 12, 2022, 05:19:06 PMIt's because they don't see "criminal" as a label, they see it as a class. They believe criminal is something certain demographics inherently are, whether they commit crimes or not.

It's why they are so indifferent to poor, black men being unlawfully killed by the police. That person, regardless of innocence was a criminal, so it's the police just doing their job. By extension, the police who commit such crimes cannot be criminal, because cops aren't part of the criminal class.

Wealthy conservatives are, by their own definition, not criminals, so any attempt to investigate the crimes they commit must be a politically motivated attack on their freedom.

Excellent assessment, never considered it like this but very robust.

elliszeroed

Not sure if it has been mentioned here:

Dude tries to attack FBI

I don't know if I'm being all hyperbolic, but I would not be surprised that, if Trump gets prosecuted, we'll see another January 6th. Which is why, perhaps, Trump may not be prosecuted.
Spoiler alert
(I don't want to make a Hitler comparison, but wasn't one of the reasons he wasn't prosecuted was because the Government and the  Kaiser feared armed revolution?)
[close]

Ferris

Catalogue Trousers

Trump has fanatics ready to give it the big I Am, kill, and die for him?

All sounds a bit Muslim to me.

Pinball

Republicans to win a landslide in the mid-terms (8th November) now? This could royally backfire on the dems.

superthunderstingcar

The advantage of American "democracy" is that the Republicans always win in a landslide, even when they don't.

Lose the popular vote? Still get the Presidency.

Lose control of the Senate? Can still stop all legislation they don't like.

Lose control of the courts? That'll be the day: block all Democrat appointments, pass as many of your own as you feel like.

steve98

Quote from: Ferris on August 12, 2022, 10:29:57 PM

A very normal statement there.

Obama's full name there Just in case the base have forgotten he's a Mozzy.

TrenterPercenter

has anyone enquired as to why we have to say Mar-a-Lago home so much?  Newsreaders seem to love saying it, not his home, not Mar-a-Lago, but Mar-a-Lago home.

Does is matter where was raided? is there some significance to it being his Mar-a-Lago home and not his Trump Towers home? which sounds silly doesn't it "Trump Towers home".

I think you'll find this is the real issue here.

Ferris

@TrenterPercenter he's not even allowed to live there, it's zoned as a business. It was the only way he was able to get the permits to construct the place so he's brazenly disregarding the law and everyone is just going along with it.

"Home" my arse.

BlodwynPig

Ambient Sheep

Lots of joy in here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-62527628

e.g.

QuoteThe removal of classified documents or materials is prohibited by law. Mr Trump increased the penalties for the crime while in office and it is now punishable by up to five years in prison.

and

QuoteOn Friday night, Mr Trump's office issued a statement maintaining that he had used his authority while president to declassify the documents.

"He had a standing order that documents removed from the Oval Office and taken into the residence were deemed to be declassified," the statement said.

"The power to classify and declassify documents rests solely with the President of the United States.

"The idea that some paper-pushing bureaucrat, with classification authority delegated by the president, needs to approve of declassification is absurd."

Legal experts have told US media it is unclear whether this argument would hold up in court. "Presidents can declassify information but they have to follow a procedure," Tom Dupree, a lawyer who previously worked in the justice department, told the BBC.

"They have to fill out forms. They have to give certain authorisations. They can't simply say these documents are declassified. They have to follow a process [and it is] not clear that was followed here."

Also, this timeline bit is interesting, I had no idea this had been rumbling along so long:

QuoteTrump records probe timeline

• January 2022 - The National Archives retrieves 15 boxes of White House records from Mar-a-Lago, and says some of the documents it received at the end of Trump administration had been torn up

• February - Reports emerge that classified files were found in the Mar-a-Lago cache and National Archives has asked DoJ to investigate

• April - US media report the FBI has begun a preliminary investigation

• 3 June - A senior DoJ official and three FBI agents travel to Mar-a-Lago to review items in a basement and Mr Trump drops by to say hello, according to reports

• 8 June - Federal investigators reportedly write to a Trump aide to ask that a stronger lock be used to secure the room storing the items. Trump says that request was quickly fulfilled

• 22 June - The Trump Organization reportedly receives a DoJ summons for CCTV footage from Mar-a-Lago

• 8 August - Dozens of agents raid Mar-a-Lago, seizing more than 20 boxes, some containing top secret files, according to the search warrant

thugler

Quote from: elliszeroed on August 12, 2022, 09:33:33 PMNot sure if it has been mentioned here:

Dude tries to attack FBI

I don't know if I'm being all hyperbolic, but I would not be surprised that, if Trump gets prosecuted, we'll see another January 6th. Which is why, perhaps, Trump may not be prosecuted.
Spoiler alert
(I don't want to make a Hitler comparison, but wasn't one of the reasons he wasn't prosecuted was because the Government and the  Kaiser feared armed revolution?)
[close]

Are further January 6th's not inevitable at this point. There is just no willingness to accept an election loss again while the trumpites have control of the republican party. I think there will be more incidents like that regardless of trump going away, which i think is very unlikely anyway.

steve98

Fox News definitely turning on Trump.
Here's a report that says the search of his MAL home was entirely justified:

QuoteThe truth needs to be set forth plainly and simply, and so let's get down to brass tacks here. What happened on August 8, 2022, was not tyranny. It was not political persecution. It was not a minor dust up over bureaucratic processes blown out of proportion. It was the criminal justice system operating just like it does with any other private citizen on any other given day ending in a "y."

They talk about the possibility of the cunt getting prison and raise no objections:

QuoteNone of this means former President Trump will ultimately be indicted. He very well might be, and other individuals who removed properly marked classified records from secure locations have been prosecuted and sent to prison for that offense...

QuoteIf Trump is indicted, he will have access to the full criminal justice process and can make every declassification defense he wishes at that time in pre-trial motions. Until that time, let the justice system run its course.

Get in there.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/trump-mar-a-lago-search-justified.amp

PS. If that story doesn't thrill you, scroll down to the next one; about a women in a police-cruiser slippin her handcuffs, somehow gettin' a-hold of one of the cop's rifles and shootin' one of the cops and a civiian out the window. What a yarn! (Nobody was killed)

Ferris

steve98

I know that (It's the earth's axial-tilt); but there'll be more swallows along soon. Mark my words.

steve98

Whole flocks of them, all eager to sing like canaries.

Ferris

I will eat a pint of soil if the GOP or their established proxy media abandons him over this.

Even if he's literally found guilty and admits it, he will be protected by the right wing establishment because he is still useful.

Sebastian Cobb

QuoteBREAKING: Trump is representing HIMSELF, with no lawyer at all, in his case against the United States regarding the search of Mar-a-Lago and recovery of government records.

The legal term is "pro se" - for himself.

He could not find anyone to represent him.

https://twitter.com/TristanSnell/status/1561824638396661760

Ferris

Yes, lawyers are notorious for not being motivated solely by money.

He'll find another Giuliani and pay them too much and get away with it because that's how the world works.

Ferris

(Also the Giuliani surrogate will end up indicted in some massive scandal as a result and be utterly baffled that trump disinterestedly threw him (and it will be a him) to the wolves because there's just no way they could have seen that kind of obvious disloyalty coming.)

Mister Six

This Arrested Development reboot is a bit far-fetched.

JamesTC