Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,395
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:56:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Self-identity and disability

Started by Jockice, August 09, 2022, 07:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

canadagoose

I do get annoyed at people saying "OMG people are self-IDing as disabled now, how woke!!!", as if 1) self-ID = saying you're something you're not and 2) there was an Official Disabled Register or anything. Over the last couple of years, I've considered myself disabled (autism, fibromyalgia, type 1 diabetes mainly), although I actually was for longer and didn't realise it. I think a lot of people are surprised that you generally don't get told by a doctor "You are now a DISABLED", and of course a lot of people are letting their transphobia colour their interpretation of "self-identification".

madhair60

Quote from: canadagoose on August 09, 2022, 01:23:01 PMI think a lot of people are surprised that you generally don't get told by a doctor "You are now a DISABLED"

I did.

I have absolutely no ability to write.
Where's my prize?

canadagoose

Zetetic

Quote from: canadagoose on August 09, 2022, 01:23:01 PMthere was an Official Disabled Register
There are such registers, at least in Wales and England, maintained by local authorities.

It's just that they're 1) voluntary, and 2) you don't get anything simply by being on it. (This also means that - in general - they're basically useless for almost any purpose, unfortunately.)

I'm borderline and could ID as disabled, but can also easily hide it 90% of the time. It's not like I'm that young anymore, so might as well embrace it. What are the best perks? I know there's a discounted train pass.

Kankurette

I've been wondering if I qualify enough as disabled to get a disability pass for festivals, so I don't have to stand all the time.
Quote from: Jockice on August 09, 2022, 09:16:36 AMI always assumed Rebellion was a hardcore punk festival but yesterday someone mentioned Altered Images on the line-up so I looked up who else was on. And there was some great stuff. I mean I like hardcore punk but can only take so much of it. This was far more diverse.

Incidentally Squeeze are literally the only musical act on earth that my girlfriend and I are in agreement on the greatness of. I don't mind her love for Joe Jackson and Petula Clark but apart from that...

Anyway, I digress. Probably a side effect of the drugs. Prescription ones of course.
It is mainly punk, hardcore or otherwise (there's always an Oi! presence, Cock Sparrer are regulars, and the odd ska punk band, though not as many as I would like), but it has some folk and new wave types as well. Attila the Stockbroker always plays, either on his own or with Barnstormer. And the likes of Peter Hook or Gary Numan. HMHB have done it in the past. Sunday was pretty new wave/Red Wedge-y. I'm glad it's not solely hardcore punk as I'd get bored otherwise.

I always like seeing the weirder bands, or bands that use unusual instruments (like Cundeez, whose singer plays the bagpipes). And Squeeze are the fucking tits. I grew up with them as my mum is a fan, although it took me years to realise that Glenn Tilbrook was NOT singing about pulling mussels from someone called Michelle.

flotemysost

Quote from: Kankurette on August 09, 2022, 10:13:51 PMI've been wondering if I qualify enough as disabled to get a disability pass for festivals, so I don't have to stand all the time.

One of my friends, who has fibro, gets disability passes for gigs and festivals. I'm not sure how straighforward it is to sort (I imagine it depends on the event/venue, though I know my friend is a blue badge holder).

I've attended a few things with her as her "carer" (I'm not a carer - that's just how some events/venues class whoever's with the person who has a disability pass), but sometimes they can be reluctant to let us go in together once we actually get there. I can understand staff being wary of people who aren't disabled taking the piss and trying to wrangle a jammy view/seat/camping spot or whatever - but it's also a bit weird and frustrating that they seem to think people with a disability don't actually want to enjoy events with their mates/partner/etc. who they've gone there with, and are happy to just be shepherded off to sit with a load of strangers while the rest of their pals party it up elsewhere.

Re: OP, a few years back I was sort-of involved in the planning of a writing prize, which was based around self-identification as a marginalised voice (not specifically for disability, though lots of the entrants did identify as such). The whole thing of "we want to give marginalised minorities a platform, but we don't want to dictate to people whether they're marginalised enough or not" is tricky to navigate, particularly when the people deciding these goalposts aren't actually affected by those issues themselves (as was largely the case with the thing I was involved in, and is probably often the case with wanky media industries in general - dunno about the Society of Authors one). So I guess it's a way of mediating that, though a better option might be ensuring there are more people from those marginalised groups in the panels/boards in the first place, I dunno.

I don't have a disability so my opinion on this isn't really deserving of a platform here either way, but suffice to say I wouldn't judge someone for self-identifying as disabled if their life and health were being affected by a condition but they had yet to receive an official diagnosis, especially having heard about how dismissive of life-changing conditions loads of medical professionals can be.

Jockice

Quote from: flotemysost on August 10, 2022, 06:17:12 PMOne of my friends, who has fibro, gets disability passes for gigs and festivals. I'm not sure how straighforward it is to sort (I imagine it depends on the event/venue, though I know my friend is a blue badge holder).

I've attended a few things with her as her "carer" (I'm not a carer - that's just how some events/venues class whoever's with the person who has a disability pass), but sometimes they can be reluctant to let us go in together once we actually get there. I can understand staff being wary of people who aren't disabled taking the piss and trying to wrangle a jammy view/seat/camping spot or whatever - but it's also a bit weird and frustrating that they seem to think people with a disability don't actually want to enjoy events with their mates/partner/etc. who they've gone there with, and are happy to just be shepherded off to sit with a load of strangers while the rest of their pals party it up elsewhere.

Re: OP, a few years back I was sort-of involved in the planning of a writing prize, which was based around self-identification as a marginalised voice (not specifically for disability, though lots of the entrants did identify as such). The whole thing of "we want to give marginalised minorities a platform, but we don't want to dictate to people whether they're marginalised enough or not" is tricky to navigate, particularly when the people deciding these goalposts aren't actually affected by those issues themselves (as was largely the case with the thing I was involved in, and is probably often the case with wanky media industries in general - dunno about the Society of Authors one). So I guess it's a way of mediating that, though a better option might be ensuring there are more people from those marginalised groups in the panels/boards in the first place, I dunno.

I don't have a disability so my opinion on this isn't really deserving of a platform here either way, but suffice to say I wouldn't judge someone for self-identifying as disabled if their life and health were being affected by a condition but they had yet to receive an official diagnosis, especially having heard about how dismissive of life-changing conditions loads of medical professionals can be.

There are various passes you can get to allow you into things with a free plus one. But you usually need medical proof to get them. No doubt some people do abuse them but I reckon that happens in a very small minority of cases.

As a disabled concertgoer (well, a former one. I rarely see bands nowadays) I've been both treated very well and very badly when attending concerts (and other events such as football matches) although all of the latter were in my pre-pass days. I'm not sure if that's because venues are fearful of legal action. And some places are just accessibility nightmares. I'd been to Rock City in Nottingham a few times in my 20s but didn't realise just how difficult it can be until I went to a concert as a full-time wheelie about five years ago and ended up having to be carried up a flight of ramshackle metal stairs at the back of the building by bouncers. And even once in I was confined to a small area of the place. If I'd needed a piss I'd have been fucked.

In general I don't have a problem with people declaring themselves as disabled even if it's not obvious. It may be the case that some are taking the piss but I'd rather they got away with it than genuinely disabled people being disbelieved. Well not quite but you know what I mean. I hope.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: canadagoose on August 09, 2022, 01:23:01 PMI I think a lot of people are surprised that you generally don't get told by a doctor "You are now a DISABLED"

Got a grim vision in my mind of a Doctor fixing someone's ailment and asking them to turn in their blue badge like they're Harry Callan now.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 11, 2022, 07:20:04 PMGot a grim vision in my mind of a Doctor fixing someone's ailment and asking them to turn in their blue badge like they're Harry Callan now.

One day away from retirement and Chef Priti Patel decides you're back on the force.

Using stairs? Going on a date? Pushing your own shopping trolley? There's even talk from F division about seeing you in crowding spaces. You're out of control Callahan, a real loose cannon. We're transferring you to Poundland.

Zero Gravitas

I'd naively assume this is more about a persons refusal to identify as disabled, just because I'm too weak to open a packet of crisps and my fine motor control is fucked to the point I can't button a waistcoat doesn't mean I think that I'm comfortable including myself for consideration in a literary prize for the genuinely street-gawkable.

Jockice

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on August 11, 2022, 07:49:22 PMI'd naively assume this is more about a persons refusal to identify as disabled, just because I'm too weak to open a packet of crisps and my fine motor control is fucked to the point I can't button a waistcoat doesn't mean I think that I'm comfortable including myself for consideration in a literary prize for the genuinely street-gawkable.

I've literally just opened a packet of crisps. Seabrook salt and vinegar. Want one?

Zero Gravitas

Were it prawn cocktail, I'd fetch the crisp shears myself.

Jockice

But seriously, it's a matter of choice. Like I said in the OP it took me about a quarter of a century after becoming disabled to admit I was. Even though to the outside world I was very obviously disabled. And was constantly reminded I was. But some people with more serious impairments than me don't think of themselves as disabled. Up to them. I'm not the disability police.

Jockice

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on August 11, 2022, 08:24:39 PMWere it prawn cocktail, I'd fetch the crisp shears myself.

Oh no, I don't do prawn cocktail. Ever. There's no need for them in this society.. I'm very firm on this one.

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on August 11, 2022, 07:49:22 PMgenuinely street-gawkable

This phrase made me giggle like an anime schoolgirl whom Senpai might have noticed. Thank you - I've had a hell of a few days and needed cheering up. Wondering how I can sneak it into my next round of safeguarding meetings or paperwork.

Kankurette

I was going to say that I'd open your crisps but that's Dirty Old Bollocks territory.

imitationleather

Quote from: canadagoose on August 09, 2022, 01:23:01 PMyou generally don't get told by a doctor "You are now a DISABLED"

My doctor said this straight after headbutting me.