Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:08:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Are you any good at public speaking?

Started by pancreas, August 10, 2022, 04:06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoulders

Quote from: pancreas on August 10, 2022, 04:06:32 AMTurns out I say 'er' quite a lot. Really quite a lot. I'm considering electrotherapy.

Have you considered pulling yourself togeth

pigamus

Crenners

Let's just say I'm best known for the phrase 'will you start the fans, please?'

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Crenners

I am, but I try to minimise terror conspiracy.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on August 10, 2022, 06:48:50 PMBlimey, talk about living over the brush!

No, I am not good at public speaking. I'm not good at public anything.

Any good at private anything?

Oh, yes.
I can eat my dinner when nobody's looking.
I can dance the lambada like nobody's watching, so long as nobody's watching.
Is that the sort of thing you were after?

shiftwork2

I'm surprisingly good.  By that I mean I expend half a year's worth of nervous energy and manage to come across as ridiculously self-assured and calm, then need an immediate exhausted lie down in private.  There's knowing your stuff and being confident in knowing your stuff.  If you've got the time and the resources, do the latter.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on August 10, 2022, 10:50:37 PMOh, yes.
I can eat my dinner when nobody's looking.
I can dance the lambada like nobody's watching, so long as nobody's watching.
Is that the sort of thing you were after?

Yea, perfect

My file management is really good when no ones watching

In public I deliberately get cavalier with it to maintain my reputation obvs

madhair60

Armed Traffic Warden

Oddly I'm surprisingly competent, thanks for asking.
  My anxiety is based, I believe, more in having to jostle for attention, than having to actually speak. When the spotlight is definitively on me, I generally shine. There's nerves but I try to channel that energy into whatever the fuck I'm talking about.
  Conversely, when writing I waffle and write far too much for fear of being misinterpreted or I waste time answering questions I imagine my audience is asking (about quarter past three Derek) or on counter arguments I assume they will take up. This results in boring long pieces that say 1 thing about 5 times and no one pays attention to.

Kankurette

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: flotemysost on August 10, 2022, 07:55:19 PMThe only kind of "err" I have a problem with is when comedians do that thing of punctuating a joke with a very deliberate smirking "err" immediately afterwards, as if they're trying to make it sound off-the-cuff and natural and it comes off as anything but.

* Dara O Brian and Jo Brand exit thread whistling in a would-be nonchalant way, and trying to look innocent.*

Thomas

Quote from: kittens on August 10, 2022, 10:23:09 AMdoing the best man speech at Chris Burger's wedding next year. i am excellent at public speaking so i am unconcerned. they will laugh, they will cry. i will manipulate and own them all.

Ordinarily I would never encourage anybody (i.e. Chris Burger's new spouse) to change their surname upon marrying, but in this case I must intervene.

I'm comfortable speaking in front of a great many folks - heck in a sick sorta way I kinda like it

Armed Traffic Warden

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on August 11, 2022, 08:51:43 AM* Dara O Brian and Jo Brand exit thread whistling in a would-be nonchalant way, and trying to look innocent.*

*Herring found hanging from rope in barn.*

Joan Rivers used to get around this by going "and it's just" instead, though she is dead, so maybe the gods disapproved.

mrClaypole

Yes and no. If I can get over my crippling nerves I can be. I also find that when I've had to do public speaking I'm so much better if I don't have a script.

Fr.Bigley

JaDanketies

I literally got 100% perfect mark in my A-level theatre studies performance (where I played the lead). Exam invigilator was crying and everything. My group's performance was the first in the day, and everyone else who had their performance that day got a really shit mark and had to appeal - presumably because they looked so inferior next to me. True story.

Not done much with it except for got lots of praise for absolutely bossing my dad's eulogy and my speech at my older brother's wedding. On the average day I do not speak at all from about 815 to 5pm.

I get requests to speak when other relatives die, but I refuse - really people who are closest to the deceased should say a few words.  I'd probably do it if I could fill a tight five minutes with amusing observations about them tbh

I just went to the hassle of putting my brother's wedding speech on YouTube so you can see me public speaking

monkfromhavana

My first experience of public speaking was to 600 people crammed into a non-air conditioned sports hall in the height of summer when it was 40 degrees with 90% humidity, and I had to do it in a second language that I couldn't really speak. OK, so about 500 of the audience were kids, but no matter.

I was waiting in the wings with my shirt soaked through in sweat, and just about to go out when a microphone was thrust into my face with the words "Can you sing a children's song as well whilst you're up there please?"

Fuck's sake.

wrec

When I was about 13 in religion class we were shown a video of teenagers being pressured into sex, after which the teacher asked me to stand up and explain what it was about. I just stood there completely incapable of speech while he took the piss out of me to get laughs from the resident jocks. Died young.

Had to do a best man speech once, and luckily had read advice online that recommended writing the speech out verbatim, so if you go blank you can just stand there and read it, which was pretty much what happened. Was so nervous that it was like an out of body experience, but was addressing a room of people all a few pints in who badly wanted to laugh, so it went great. Unlike the marriage in question!

Was asked to do a radio interview recently and realised that it wasn't remotely worth the nervousness I'd feel about it. But it did occur to me that if I did consider something like that worthwhile, I'd do it and make sure never to listen to it, like the tape in Grizzly Man.