Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:14:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Salman Rushdie attacked

Started by Alberon, August 12, 2022, 04:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

He was in New York on stage at a speaking event. He was repeatedly punched or stabbed and the attacker is in custody.

Picture of Rushdie surrounded by helpers spoilered.

Spoiler alert
[close]

QuoteAn Associated Press reporter witnessed a man storm the stage at the Chautauqua Institution and begin punching or stabbing Rushdie as he was being introduced. The author was taken or fell to the floor, and the man was restrained. The attacker was reportedly in custody.

buttgammon

Terrible that one of our own regulars appears to have been responsible.

dontpaintyourteeth

Alberon

Oh well that's going a little too far!

flotemysost

Someone I used to work with knew a colleague who was killed in the wake of The Satanic Verses stuff, but I always sort of naively assumed it was a thing of the past.

Quote from: bgmnts on August 12, 2022, 04:36:18 PMWhy??

He done a Islamophobia back in the 80s (well, according to the people who want to hurt/kill him) so presumably that. Haven't actually read the offending text but I really liked Midnight's Children, although it took a couple of hundred pages to figure out what the fuck was going on.

I hope he's OK anyway.

madhair60

did the attacker "rushdie" stage? no, though, I hope Salman Rushdie is fine... I'm certainly in no "rush" for him to "die"!

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Punched *or* stabbed? Well, which was it? Shoddy reporting.

bgmnts

Quote from: flotemysost on August 12, 2022, 04:48:16 PMHe done a Islamophobia back in the 80s (well, according to the people who want to hurt/kill him) so presumably that.

Fair play that's a hell of a grudge then.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: bgmnts on August 12, 2022, 04:52:10 PMFair play that's a hell of a grudge then.

Playing the long game, right enough.

flotemysost

Well, there's still a bounty of a couple million quid on his head AFAIK. One way of stumping up the energy bills I suppose.

checkoutgirl

Gutted Salman. I'm not saying he deserved it because he went on Curb Your Enthusiasm going on about chicks love the fatwa. But some might say that's dangling your love spuds in the lion's mouth.

PaulTMA

This never would of happened were it not for that Fresh Prince

Icehaven

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on August 12, 2022, 04:52:05 PMPunched *or* stabbed? Well, which was it? Shoddy reporting.

Police have confirmed it was a stabbing now apparently.
Jim Crace (the novelist not the journalist) did a visit to my work a few years ago and for some reason launched into a tirade about Rushdie, as he knows him and seemingly isn't a fan. Maybe it was him!

Crenners

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on August 12, 2022, 04:52:05 PMPunched *or* stabbed? Well, which was it? Shoddy reporting.

Punched him with a knife (not the handle end, the other end).

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Crenners on August 12, 2022, 05:08:31 PMPunched him with a knife (not the handle end, the other end).

Bit much.

Malcy

flotemysost

Quote from: PaulTMA on August 12, 2022, 05:02:21 PMThis never would of happened were it not for that Fresh Prince

Now, this is a story all about how
I published a book and it caused a big row
And I'd like to take a minute, just sit right there
I'll tell you how I became the bane of the Ayatollah

iamcoop

Apparently this geezer got mad pussy?

Alberon

Stabbed in the neck apparently.

Chollis

Quote from: Alberon on August 12, 2022, 05:17:47 PMStabbed in the neck apparently.

Stabbed in the neck
And you're to blame

iamcoop

I told him to stop writing those bloody books! SMDH (shake my delightful head)

Glebe

Keebleman

Valentine's Day 1989 the fatwa was issued! I remember it well. I was sorting through the DOZENS of cards that I had received and looked up from them momentarily to muse on the less than romantic missive the Ayatollah had sent.

iamcoop

Hello Guardian readers, there's breaking news regarding the renowned novelist Salman Rushdie and we are going to bring you developments and reaction as it happens, so please join us and we'll keep you up to date, live

Please join us whilst a man probably dies

Beagle 2

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on August 12, 2022, 04:52:05 PMPunched *or* stabbed?

I've got the tune off the first level of parappa the rapper in my head now.

robhug

if it takes 30 odd years there needs to be some serious organisational changes with the top bods at Islam HQ, making a mockery of the fatwa, hardly worth doing them.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Beagle 2 on August 12, 2022, 05:24:59 PMI've got the tune off the first level of parappa the rapper in my head now.

Whereas " Stabbed In The Neck" reminds me of that Supergrass song

# Stabbed in the neck
  There I was
  Oh, Flippin''Eck # 

Punched with knives.