Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,479
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:57:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Salman Rushdie attacked

Started by Alberon, August 12, 2022, 04:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

He's pretty old isn't he? Don't see him surviving unfortunately.

Has anyone read The Satanic Verses? What's the fuss?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Ferris on August 12, 2022, 05:34:55 PMHe's pretty old isn't he? Don't see him surviving unfortunately.

Haven't read it, but I read the book he published after that, " Buddha's A Big Fat Cunt."

dontpaintyourteeth

Somebody I was at school with twenty years ago that I am somehow friends with on goodreads gave Midnight's Children 5 stars out of 5 if that helps anyone 

buttgammon

Quote from: Ferris on August 12, 2022, 05:34:55 PMHe's pretty old isn't he? Don't see him surviving unfortunately.

I have a PhD in literature and I've never read any Rushdie or even heard anyone really mention him; hope this helps.

badaids

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on August 12, 2022, 05:37:00 PMSomebody I was at school with twenty years ago that I am somehow friends with on goodreads gave Midnight's Children 5 stars out of 5 if that helps anyone 

A friend of mine says they Midnight's Children is the best book he ever read and that it changed his life. He also says it's the only book he's ever read.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I've read one of his books, " Fury" I think it was called, think it was based on the relationship between him and his fit missus, or something, not about that boxer feller. Surprisingly readable in a Martin Amisesque way.

Also, he always reminded me, appearance- wise of a sort of hybrid of Kelsey Grammer and Garfield the Cat. There's a line for his obit tribute on 'ere, if he carks it, like.

Crenners

In fairness, he's done well to not be killed for the last forty years so if this is his time, fair play. He said whatever it was he felt he needed to risk his life for and he got a whole life.

For me this is a fair play mate scenario.

Keebleman

I reckon it's very short odds on a) the attacker not having been alive in 1989;  b) the attacker never having read The Satanic Verses; c) the attacker never having even heard the title The Satanic Verses.

Ferris

Just had a read of the wikipedia page which seems to offer a pretty good summary.

From my reading, he used some archaic bits of Islam and wrote some fiction imagining the lives of some key religious figures without really understanding the taboo. Sort of like the gnostic gospels of Thomas and Judas and other early Christian writings that are ruled non-canon and everyone would rather you didn't mention them.

Also political pressure in Iran meant they needed a western scapegoat and he fitted the bill nicely.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Satanic_Verses_controversy

Ferris

Quote from: Keebleman on August 12, 2022, 05:50:12 PMI reckon it's very short odds on a) the attacker not having been alive in 1989;  b) the attacker never having read The Satanic Verses; c) the attacker never having even heard the title The Satanic Verses.

Yeah that occurred to me. If he (and I'm assuming it's a bloke) attacked Rushdie for fatwa reasons, he's basically taking it on faith that the Ayatollah's interpretation is correct because it's unlikely the attacker bothered to read it before committing an attempted murder.

vanilla.coffee

This doesn't look good for the energy crisis.

Buelligan

Tried a couple of his books, thought they were shit.  Better than Harry Potter, mind.

batwings

If you feel that strongly about it why not just post a one star Amazon review?

BlodwynPig

Cold Meat Platter

Did you know that it was Salman Rushdie who wrote the "Me scrooble now. Nocko. Wheeeeeee!!" Kinder Surprise advert from the 80s

madhair60

Salman Rushdie born on a Mushdie

mr. logic

Quote from: Crenners on August 12, 2022, 05:49:53 PMIn fairness, he's done well to not be killed for the last forty years so if this is his time, fair play. He said whatever it was he felt he needed to risk his life for and he got a whole life.

For me this is a fair play mate scenario.

Stuff like this is just shit.

mr. logic

Quote from: Buelligan on August 12, 2022, 06:09:18 PMTried a couple of his books, thought they were shit.  Better than Harry Potter, mind.

What you reading at the minute?

Crenners

Quote from: mr. logic on August 12, 2022, 07:12:35 PMStuff like this is just shit.

Do you think? He could have well been killed forty years ago but instead he lived to have two marriages, enjoy a successful career, raise two children and was killed in old age, having lived a rich and full life.

He didn't need to be killed but he chose to say whatever it was, I paid no attention, and he would have known the potential consequences. If he were killed in 1987, that's a shitter. 35 more years of life? Fair play. I think he came out on top there.

If you just wanted to have a pop, please be aware that it will only be amusing to me. I have zero respect for almost anyone.

Buelligan

Quote from: mr. logic on August 12, 2022, 07:15:19 PMWhat you reading at the minute?

East Wind Melts the Ice by Liza Dalby.  Loving it but I am very interested in Japan which probably helps.

mr. logic

Quote from: Buelligan on August 12, 2022, 07:17:57 PMEast Wind Melts the Ice by Liza Dalby.  Loving it but I am very interested in Japan which probably helps.

Nice. Never heard of it. I'll put it on the list!

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: mr. logic on August 12, 2022, 07:12:35 PMStuff like this is just shit.

Yeah, comments like that are just a pain in the neck.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Crenners on August 12, 2022, 07:17:16 PMDo you think? He could have well been killed forty years ago but instead he lived to have two marriages, enjoy a successful career, raise two children and was killed in old age, having lived a rich and full life.

He didn't need to be killed but he chose to say whatever it was, I paid no attention, and he would have known the potential consequences. If he were killed in 1987, that's a shitter. 35 more years of life? Fair play. I think he came out on top there.

If you just wanted to have a pop, please be aware that it will only be amusing to me. I have zero respect for almost anyone.

He's not actually died, you big daftie.

Crenners

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on August 12, 2022, 07:31:00 PMHe's not actually died, you big daftie.

Great, so my point is even stronger. After all that time, he hasn't even been killed. Crack on in a fair play mate scenario.

Buelligan

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on August 12, 2022, 07:31:00 PMHe's not actually died, you big daftie.

He will die though, eventually.  I don't think we should lie to ourselves.

Bernice

Tried to read a couple of his books and thought they were a load of pompous shite. Obviously, didn't deserve the old fatwa or getting stabbed in the neck, but they are comfortably the two most interesting things about him. Not to put him down, they'd be the two most interesting things about most people.

Bernice

Quote from: iamcoop on August 12, 2022, 05:24:48 PMHello Guardian readers, there's breaking news regarding the renowned novelist Salman Rushdie and we are going to bring you developments and reaction as it happens, so please join us and we'll keep you up to date, live

Please join us whilst a man probably dies

Reports that a second knife has now hit the Rushdie.

Buelligan

Heheh.

Quote from: Bernice on August 12, 2022, 07:42:46 PMTried to read a couple of his books and thought they were a load of pompous shite. Obviously, didn't deserve the old fatwa or getting stabbed in the neck, but they are comfortably the two most interesting things about him. Not to put him down, they'd be the two most interesting things about most people.

And that he worked as a garden gnome for U2's "Bonio".