Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 12:36:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What the Heche?

Started by kalowski, August 12, 2022, 07:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Mister Six on August 14, 2022, 03:44:25 PMLink?

Recognized name of website, might be one we don't mention. Will pm if I find it

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 14, 2022, 01:20:24 PMI just find it odd that CaB can be so sensitive about certain issues on one hand and then be like a sniggering student at the back of the common room

Presumably it's not the same people?

PlanktonSideburns

My problem with the loldeath jokes is if they're not funny they're just shite and horrible, and they're never funny enough. The argument of

But this is exactly the same as Morris/cook, in exactly the same context, and to judge it differently is hypocrisy, and im offended you even brought it up

I think isn't much of an argument. I'd prefer the argument of

I'm a cunt who just loves being a cunt

To be honest. Admiddedly a quick look through my posts will reveal me to be a practitioner of the sort of thing I'm accusing people of here, but none the less

PlanktonSideburns

And another thing

Is it

whistling past the graveyard

When you're making puns about the death of someone who you felt no particular connection to and we're not emotionally effected by their dying at all? That's more like making a detour to go down the graveyard and parp one of those squeezy clown horns surely

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 14, 2022, 07:47:25 PMPresumably it's not the same people?

I know CaB isn't a hive mind but there might be crossover.

The thing is, most us think and say dark things, dreadful things, I know I do. I'm probably being hypocritical finding the death puns distasteful because of the ultimate taboo. I don't get mortally offended by the jokes, I just find them on the whole, a bit cheap and mean of spirit.

I think it's because they would've been merely 'tags' in the past. You could read Cabbers thoughts on somebody who had died that day and had the option of casting your eyes down below the R.I.P thread to have a morbid chuckle.

jfjnpxmy

What has two legs and goes "woof"?

Anne Heche.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 14, 2022, 08:55:13 PMI know CaB isn't a hive mind but there might be crossover.

The thing is, most us think and say dark things, dreadful things, I know I do. I'm probably being hypocritical finding the death puns distasteful because of the ultimate taboo. I don't get mortally offended by the jokes, I just find them on the whole, a bit cheap and mean of spirit.

I think it's because they would've been merely 'tags' in the past. You could read Cabbers thoughts on somebody who had died that day and had the option of casting your eyes down below the R.I.P thread to have a morbid chuckle.

That's a good point - it means that certain gb threads mean you have to wade through a loads of even less funny than hsart posts to read a thread if anyone's died in the subject matter

gilbertharding

I watched the news of this unfold. The Guardian newspaper website has a handy function when it covers stories like this - you can click on a link at the bottom of the page to see what else they have written over the years. Because I'd never heard of this lady, I clicked... finding that they'd had three or four stories about her in the last 20 years (made me feel a bit better about never having heard of her, to be honest)... anyway, this is a screenshot of that page:

Now THAT is how you do it.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 14, 2022, 08:55:13 PMThe thing is, most us think and say dark things, dreadful things, I know I do. I'm probably being hypocritical finding the death puns distasteful because of the ultimate taboo. I don't get mortally offended by the jokes, I just find them on the whole, a bit cheap and mean of spirit.

I feel I'm one of the more over sensitive types on the board (these days) and have had to condition myself to expect the attempts at humour, but like you I think it's cheap and mean, and not only that but just really unfunny and lazy, and it's frustrating because of what you went on to say...

QuoteI think it's because they would've been merely 'tags' in the past. You could read Cabbers thoughts on somebody who had died that day and had the option of casting your eyes down below the R.I.P thread to have a morbid chuckle.

For that reason alone I wish tags were back. I could just not click on the threads, I know, but I'm often interested in what happened to the person, and others thoughts on their lives and careers, but each time have to scroll for post after post off painfully unfunny attempts at humour. And on that front...

Quote from: Twit 2 on August 13, 2022, 06:19:22 PMAs a fan of Chris Morris and Peter Cook, I really dislike bad taste humour.

That's one of the funniest posts I've read in ages, comparing the shit in these RIP threads to what Morris and Cook produced is ridiculous, and I know you know this.

Quote from: Dex Sawash on August 14, 2022, 03:10:00 PMWas searching for cookdandbombd + a filmorsomething last night, saw CaB mentioned on another forum hand wringing on Sept 11 2001 about CaB joking about things.

I'll confess to being one of those people, and also ran an Onion-esque news story on the site I used to run, which I now look back on with deep embarrassment. But I think that's part of the whole issue, that was over twenty years ago now, and a large majority of those who contribute to the forum aren't in their teens / twenties any more, and haven't been for a good while.

PlanktonSideburns

It would be nice if tags returned and contained the non funny bile of bad quality men, but I would settle for them having a word with themselves and Improving their bantz, as some people here have already done with the word m*ong, and with an ill considered homophobia and transphobia, the word retard, and  various other things

Mr_Simnock

#IsItOkToJokeAboutTheRecentlyDeceased?

madhair60

i find the complaints a bit odd, I don't think I'm wired to be offended/upset by death jokes/puns. they are so impersonal, you know? just a bit of gallows daftness.

kittens

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on August 15, 2022, 04:43:43 PMthe word m*ong, and with an ill considered homophobia and transphobia, the word retard, and  various other things

these are the exact same thing as posting "Deady Lamarr"

madhair60

Brundle-Fly

Gallows humour? Oh come on, Charles Addams, it is not. It's one thing to make gags about Elvis Presley dying on the toilet, but as Lester says in Crimes & Misdemeanors, "Comedy is tragedy, plus time." Let the body go cold, at least. I don't remember having to scroll through post after post of Christmas cracker puns when Rik Mayall and Trish Keenan died. Anyway, it's not something that I'm losing sleep about. Life's too short. Well, for Anne Heche it was. LoL.

Goldentony

what about when the same soft cunts begin whinging about tags, do we go back to cryarsing about HS Art

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 15, 2022, 06:35:23 PMLet the body go cold, at least.

why if no one else is going to use it

Goldentony

when the tags come back can we get into the eventual saga about DeezNut's threads aswell and then trade paragraphs with people on the wind up

madhair60

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 15, 2022, 06:35:23 PMGallows humour? Oh come on, Charles Addams, it is not.

of course it is

Goldentony

aftr we've settled on DeezNuts making threads and return of the tags and everyones got their 20 pages out of it and mentioned Madeline McCann threads 100 times can we also reintroduce complaining about the dominance of the Glinner threas again

Video Game Fan 2000

Gallow Biafra lead singer of the Acceptable Amount of Time Passed Kennedys

Goldentony

what about when an obvious former banned member turns up and starts a load of arguments and then everyone goes back and forth with them and mistakes the fact they cant get sense out of an obvious cunt for this forum tolerating those sorts of cunts, this is after the eventual DeezNuts blow up the return and then banning again of the tags and the crying about calling Ralph Bates RALPH FUCKED post mortem

kittens

how long is the respectful amount of time to wait until i can post Paul McCarkedny

kalowski

Well, I'm sure glad I started this thread!

Goldentony

LETS FUCKING GET HIM LADS

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: kittens on August 15, 2022, 06:45:26 PMhow long is the respectful amount of time to wait until i can post Paul McCarkedny

its cruel ringo will be the only paul bearer, but maybe he'll ringo first

Video Game Fan 2000

paul is dead websites will see their google ad revenue plummet, its no laughing matter

People can be as edgy as they like in their comments about me once I've died.  I guarantee I won't take offense.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on August 15, 2022, 06:59:52 PMPeople can be as edgy as they like in their comments about me once I've died.  I guarantee I won't take offense.

Well, when you return from the grave three days later you can read them and rate each pun with a score between 1 and 10.