Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:53:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

First time in London!

Started by RetroRobot, August 13, 2022, 11:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RetroRobot

So I'll be staying in London on Monday and Tuesday for work, with the evenings to myself. I don't really know London as I've never been, but what would you reccomend doing if you're only there for 2 nights? Evening stuff. I'm staying near King's Cross Station if that helps but there's toobs everywhere.

touchingcloth

It's a shit town, so may I suggest you do a favour to us all and just pop it in the bin while you're there?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: RetroRobot on August 13, 2022, 11:33:36 AMSo I'll be staying in London on Monday and Tuesday for work, with the evenings to myself. I don't really know London as I've never been, but what would you reccomend doing if you're only there for 2 nights? Evening stuff. I'm staying near King's Cross Station if that helps but there's toobs everywhere.

What are your interests though?

https://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-do

RetroRobot

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 13, 2022, 11:42:30 AMWhat are your interests though?

https://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-do

Arty stuff. Dorky stuff. Wonder if I can see a Dalek in London anywhere? Think I'll go see the landmarks at some point but I also can't be arsed with it being so busy.

imitationleather

Go to an all night junglist mash-up.

idunnosomename

The v&a is prob the best museum to waste time in. Youll need to go on the tube from  the kings cross area but i cant in good conscience say go to the british museum even though you could walk there because its shit and full of cunts

jobotic

You'll be a short walk from Camden, which I used to like going to thirty years ago. It's probably the same now.

Norton Canes

Quote from: RetroRobot on August 13, 2022, 11:44:23 AMWonder if I can see a Dalek in London anywhere?

Annoyingly, you just missed this (and even more annoyingly so did I)

Time Lords to Top of the Pops at the Riverside Studios, Hammersmith

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: RetroRobot on August 13, 2022, 11:44:23 AMArty stuff. Dorky stuff. Wonder if I can see a Dalek in London anywhere? Think I'll go see the landmarks at some point but I also can't be arsed with it being so busy.

Art ---Tate Modern. National Portrait Gallery, Saatchi

Dorky ---Berwick Street, Soho has a few good record stores and Gosh Comics too. The Forbidden Planet main UK store is in Shaftsbury Avenue. The Cartoon Museum in Wells Street nearby.

If you're in Kings X, there is a lovely stroll you can take up the canal into Camden Town.

Sebastian Cobb

visit one of the busiest mcdonalds ever, one of their grease traps broke and managed to fill an underground carpark

Don't miss Jack the Ripper, the cast of Eastenders and the Pearly King and Queen doing the Lambeth Walk to Chaz and Dave's accompaniment.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Go into a pub and order a pint. Hand a friendly patron of that pub your phone and ask them to kindly film your reaction when the barman quotes the price of the pint to you.

JohnnyCouncil

Quote from: RetroRobot on August 13, 2022, 11:44:23 AMArty stuff. Dorky stuff. Wonder if I can see a Dalek in London anywhere? Think I'll go see the landmarks at some point but I also can't be arsed with it being so busy.

Tardis is outside Earls Court tube.

RetroRobot

Thanks everyone!

Forgot about the Cartoon museum. Always wanted to go.

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on August 13, 2022, 12:15:53 PMGo into a pub and order a pint. Hand a friendly patron of that pub your phone and ask them to kindly film your reaction when the barman quotes the price of the pint to you.

I'm very VERY stereotypically Northern so I see this happening.

the science eel

check what's on at BFI Southbank. In terms of programming, the UK's finest cinema

and do at least one of the Tates

bgmnts

Definitely the shittest big city I've been to. Maybe go to borough market and get some food and go to the natural history museum.

RetroRobot

Also I will not be able to do daytime stuff. Probably won't be free till 5 or even 6pm on the 2nd day... 1st days a little easier as I'm free whenever I get there from Leeds.

M&M World is amazing - walk there, it's worth it

idunnosomename

M&Ms World, Fortnum and Mason afternoon tea, Aberdeen Angus Steakhouse, peanuts in chocolate for an undisclosed price on a bridge, grave

Dr Rock

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 13, 2022, 12:02:51 PMIf you're in Kings X, there is a lovely stroll you can take up the canal into Camden Town.

It's quite dangerous after dark though.

Sonny_Jim

I really enjoyed the clock museum in Greenwich, but then I do like clocks.

The Mollusk

Anyone seriously suggesting Camden as a fun cool place to go is 100% wrong

Virgo76

Quote from: RetroRobot on August 13, 2022, 11:33:36 AMSo I'll be staying in London on Monday and Tuesday for work, with the evenings to myself. I don't really know London as I've never been, but what would you reccomend doing if you're only there for 2 nights? Evening stuff. I'm staying near King's Cross Station if that helps but there's toobs everywhere.
You've never been? How old are you? Not having a go. Just curious.
Have fun. Much of the city is great. Drink water and try to spot one famous person.
I once saw Kevin Eldon in the street. I also saw Pippa Haywood in a station.

WhoMe

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 13, 2022, 01:25:05 PMAnyone seriously suggesting Camden as a fun cool place to go is 100% wrong

You telling me Tomb Raider live! or whatever it's called isn't on the cutting edge of alternative culture?

Dr Rock

Just wander around the West End for hours, you'll get a good feel of the city. Check out Chinatown (novelty street) and around Seven Dials. On the other night do something cultural you like.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Dr Rock on August 13, 2022, 01:09:18 PMIt's quite dangerous after dark though.

True, it can be, but a summer's evening stroll up the towpath should be fine.

mrpupkin

A few free things around Kings Cross off the top of my head, if you can't be assed with the tube after work:

- St Pancras Old Church and churchyard
- Treasures of the British Library (permanent exhibition at the BL)
- St Pancras hotel/station
- Senate House
- Russell Square (also Gordon Square, Tavistock Square which are smaller but closer)
- Walk around Bloomsbury, esp. if you're interested in Virginia Woolf and all that lot
- Camley St nature reserve
- General canalside area behind Kings Cross station if the weather's nice
- Kings Place (has an art gallery and a general hanging out area if it's too hot outside)
- Other stuff probs dunno

jobotic

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 13, 2022, 01:25:05 PMAnyone seriously suggesting Camden as a fun cool place to go is 100% wrong

It was when I was 17. So where is cool now Mr Big City?