Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:55:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

First time in London!

Started by RetroRobot, August 13, 2022, 11:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

Quote from: jobotic on August 13, 2022, 02:28:26 PMIt was when I was 17. So where is cool now Mr Big City?

Dalston

Dex Sawash

If you go to London Kentucky, there's a White Castle  just off I-75

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Dr Rock on August 13, 2022, 02:31:01 PMDalston

deptford/peckham/new cross etc. south is where it's happening

jobotic

When I go to St Pancras I like to have a wander round Somers Town and have a good pog at everything. I really like it. Have a look at the Oakshott Estate then see the hideous luxury flats that have been built on part of the park opposite the Crick Institute, to the annoyance of non-wealthy residents.

idunnosomename

go look at that white dog turd

Gurke and Hare

Check out what gigs are on at The Lexington just up the road from Kings Cross.

As you're there for work, are your dinners on exes and if so what's the price limit?

The Mollusk

Quote from: jobotic on August 13, 2022, 02:28:26 PMIt was when I was 17. So where is cool now Mr Big City?

Fuck knows tbh, I don't go to cool places because I'm poor and also fast reaching the point where I don't wanna live here any more. But Camden is a cesspool of tacky tourist garbage, knobheads everywhere, the amrkwt sucks and everything is predictably overpriced. Deffo wouldn't recommend.

badaids

The Crow Bar near Tottenham Court Road. Or Bradley's also near Tottenham Court Road.

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 13, 2022, 03:06:14 PM...the amrkwt sucks and everything is predictably overpriced.

At least Camden has an amrkwt, which, as far as I'm aware, Leeds doesn't.

Dr Rock

Quote from: jobotic on August 13, 2022, 02:46:44 PMWhen I go to St Pancras I like to have a wander round Somers Town and have a good pog at everything. I really like it. Have a look at the Oakshott Estate then see the hideous luxury flats that have been built on part of the park opposite the Crick Institute, to the annoyance of non-wealthy residents.

Definitely dangerous after dark

jobotic

Good point. That's when Kier Starmer drives back from the pub.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on August 13, 2022, 03:29:36 PMAt least Camden has an amrkwt, which, as far as I'm aware, Leeds doesn't.

If anyone needs further info on this best place to go is comparetheamrkwt.com

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Bill Bryson once said that the best way to experience a city is to go out of the front door of your hotel and start walking. Don't plan anything, just see what random stuff you chance upon.

Norton Canes

Quote from: mrpupkin on August 13, 2022, 02:17:33 PMA few free things around Kings Cross off the top of my head, if you can't be assed with the tube after work:

- St Pancras Old Church and churchyard
- Treasures of the British Library (permanent exhibition at the BL)
- St Pancras hotel/station
- Senate House
- Russell Square (also Gordon Square, Tavistock Square which are smaller but closer)
- Walk around Bloomsbury, esp. if you're interested in Virginia Woolf and all that lot
- Camley St nature reserve
- General canalside area behind Kings Cross station if the weather's nice
- Kings Place (has an art gallery and a general hanging out area if it's too hot outside)

We used to live in Elm Village up that way and all those places were our favourites (becomes all glum and nostalgic)

Neomod

The Southbank's always great for a summer evening walk.

Get the northern line to Bank, take a walk along cheapside to St Pauls, crossover the Millenium bridge to Tate Modern and then a leisurely stroll to Lasdun's masterpiece, the National Theatre and one of my favourite places, the Royal Festival Hall.

Free, save for a couple of pints along the way.

Great for history, people watching and the river.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on August 13, 2022, 01:16:44 PMI really enjoyed the clock museum in Greenwich, but then I do like clocks.
i bet you fucking do

The Mollusk

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on August 13, 2022, 03:58:39 PMBill Bryson once said that the best way to experience a city is to go out of the front door of your hotel and start walking. Don't plan anything, just see what random stuff you chance upon.

A SEA OF TURDS

THE HOMELESS WHO TRY AS YOU MIGHT YOU CANNOT SAVE SINGLEHANDEDLY AND THIS UPSETS YOU

DAWDLING TOURIST SCUM

LITTER AS FAR AS THE EYE CAN SEE

GREAT PLUMES OF NOXIOUS WEED SMOKE

MOUNTAINOUS EMPTY MODERN SKYSCRAPERS

SHITE HOUSE MUSIC BEATS WAFTING OUT OF TRENDY BARS FOR TWATS

DICKHEAD CYCLISTS

DICKHEAD PEDESTRIANS

DICKHEAD VEHICLE OWNERS OF ALL KINDS

yeah cheers Bill

Neomod

A SEA OF TURDS
Wyndham's Theatre
⭐⭐⭐⭐

maett

drop acid, climb over the Highgate Cemetery wall, then just go with the flow.

Neomod

Quote from: maett on August 13, 2022, 05:35:59 PMdrop acid, climb over the Highgate Cemetery wall, then just go with the flow.

Which one?*

*for the locals

RetroRobot

Quote from: Virgo76 on August 13, 2022, 01:38:02 PMYou've never been? How old are you? Not having a go. Just curious.
Have fun. Much of the city is great. Drink water and try to spot one famous person.
I once saw Kevin Eldon in the street. I also saw Pippa Haywood in a station.

28. Just never been arsed to go.

RetroRobot

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on August 13, 2022, 03:05:00 PMCheck out what gigs are on at The Lexington just up the road from Kings Cross.

As you're there for work, are your dinners on exes and if so what's the price limit?

Not enough for London haha. There's an allowance but gut feeling is it won't go far.

RetroRobot

Also thanks everyone for the suggestions, sorry I can't reply to them all. I am a bit weary of where I'll actually go due to social anxiety and being alone in a huge city I don't know at all but I'm gonna make a day of it. See what I find.

maett

Quote from: Neomod on August 13, 2022, 06:01:46 PMWhich one?*

*for the locals
If you're going over the wall then West is best.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: RetroRobot on August 13, 2022, 07:10:47 PMAlso thanks everyone for the suggestions, sorry I can't reply to them all. I am a bit weary of where I'll actually go due to social anxiety and being alone in a huge city I don't know at all but I'm gonna make a day of it. See what I find.

Sounds like you've gone to the wrong place then. I'd just sit in your room if I were you.

Glebe

Was in London twice, in my teens and in my 20s, would love to visit again.

sardines

If you are near Kings Cross, you can walk across to Coal Drops Yard. Have a curry at Dishoom and be shocked at the price, have some tapas at Barrafina and be shocked at the price, buy a Phil Minton LP at Honest Jons and be shocked at the price. Or watch some free Celtic fusion

Icehaven

Quote from: Virgo76 on August 13, 2022, 01:38:02 PMDrink water and try to spot one famous person.
I once saw Kevin Eldon in the street. I also saw Pippa Haywood in a station.

The first few times I visited London in my teens I just assumed there'd be famous people everywhere and we'd see loads of them. Went to Camden in about 1996 and expected to see Blur and Jarvis Cocker just wandering about, but sadly they remained elusive. I think it's because the very first time I went there when I was about 11 we went to see Jason Donovan in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, and we did actually see him in the street signing autographs before the show. I think this led me to assume all celebrities spent their spare time roaming around London waiting to be recognised.

imitationleather

Quote from: Glebe on August 14, 2022, 03:31:23 AMWas in London twice, in my teens and in my 20s, would love to visit again.

I was in London once, from birth to 30, might visit again.

The Crumb

Quote from: RetroRobot on August 13, 2022, 07:08:46 PMNot enough for London haha. There's an allowance but gut feeling is it won't go far.

How much? You can still eat decently for non-obscene prices if you know where to look and are open to different cuisines.