Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:26:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

First time in London!

Started by RetroRobot, August 13, 2022, 11:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

I've lived here for 10 years and the only famous person I've seen was James Nesbitt. He looked pissed off.

the science eel

Quote from: The Crumb on August 14, 2022, 10:27:43 AMHow much? You can still eat decently for non-obscene prices if you know where to look and are open to different cuisines.

Yeah, just get the Tube out to the end of the line and have a kebab in the nearest place

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I saw Helen Lederer in London once, just walking about, bold as you like.

Ok, Cheers.

imitationleather

I saw Michael Buerk on the Bakerloo line.

non capisco

Seen loads of celebrities walking about in London and yet none of them compare to the time I saw Ian McShane in Gravesend.

The Crumb

Saw Michael Caine (cunt) getting out a car on Hatton Garden

Saw Richard Bacon and James Corden separately on the same night in a chicken restaurant.

Saw Matt Smith trying it on with some girls in the Lock Tavern

Saw David Mitchell in Regent's Park. He looked a bit panicky at the thought he was being recognised.

Saw Paul Putner out and about in North London.

Saw Paul Whitehouse taking his kids for a stroll in the park.

Saw Bill Oddie waiting outside Nambucca for a gig to start.

Saw YouTube man The Chicken Connoisseur in a supermarket.

Can't move for the famouses in London!

Fambo Number Mive

Saw Neil Kinnock in Waterstones, while I was waiting for a Tony Benn talk (not in Waterstones) to staert.

idunnosomename

Take the tube to Cockfosters and umm

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: RetroRobot on August 13, 2022, 07:10:47 PMsocial anxiety and being alone

Spend your entire meal allowance both days at Garlic & Shots, Frith Street. Garlic burger, garlic chips, washed down with a Garlic Martini, few cheeky garlic laqers and such. Yum.
That'll make people leave you the Frith alone.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d719003-Reviews-Garlic_Shots-London_England.html

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: The Crumb on August 14, 2022, 11:20:17 AMSaw David Mitchell in Regent's Park. He looked a bit panicky at the thought he was being recognised.

I used to see him every so often when I lived in Kilburn in the early 2000s (when I went to see House Of Flying Daggers at the local cinema the audience was made of Mitchell, Webb, myself and only two others), but the one time I made eye contact with him in Sainsbury's he looked terrified, I left the shop first and was going to say a short "Hi, big fan, just wanted to say hello" kind of thing but when he emerged he'd put on a knitted hat and all but ran up the high road, so I never acknowledged his existence again.

jobotic

Quote from: Sherringford Hovis on August 14, 2022, 11:34:24 AMSpend your entire meal allowance both days at Garlic & Shots, Frith Street. Garlic burger, garlic chips, washed down with a Garlic Martini, few cheeky garlic laqers and such. Yum.
That'll make people leave you the Frith alone.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d719003-Reviews-Garlic_Shots-London_England.html

I had some garlic beer and garlic vodka brought back from the Ilse of Wight by a family member. Couldn't ever bring myself to drink it. Quite like small amounts in food but a drink that stinks of it is just wrong. Only my friend who was hammered anyway ever tried the vodka. He said it wasn't that bad then fell down the stairs.

I'm off to the Big Smoke in November, for an interview for a visa at the American Embassy.  I'm going to be getting my celeb-spotter glasses on.

The Crumb

I'm at the bit of Regent's Park with the lovely faux Japanese garden and island. It's walkable from King's Cross, can recommend if you're not up to anything more ambitious.

RetroRobot

Quote from: The Crumb on August 14, 2022, 10:27:43 AMHow much? You can still eat decently for non-obscene prices if you know where to look and are open to different cuisines.

25 quid I think

cosmic-hearse

If your in Kings Cross then you could try Roti King (right by Euston Station) which is tiny but lovely.

imitationleather

Glebe

"First thing I did was go and see the Queen. First thing."

Dr Rock

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on August 14, 2022, 01:00:55 PMI'm off to the Big Smoke in November, for an interview for a visa at the American Embassy.  I'm going to be getting my celeb-spotter glasses on.

Yes all the celebs hang around there.

The Crumb

In the event that the forecast storms happen tomorrow, I recommend making a run for the King Charles I pub and drinking up a lot of beers.

Go to the blind beggar then see sum stripers then fuk a brass

flotemysost

Quote from: badaids on August 13, 2022, 03:19:34 PMThe Crow Bar near Tottenham Court Road.

Nah that's gone now. Incidentally this was the bar I mentioned in the "Rubbish claims to fame" thread, where a few members of Rammstein asked my friend and I for directions.

For museum-y things near (or near enough) to Kings Cross, the below might be worth a gander and tend not to be as horrifically touristy as bigger ones like the V&A and British Museum (and most are free, IIRC):

The Wellcome Collection
Grant Museum of Zoology
London Canal Museum
Museum of the Home
(Haven't checked out the new LGBTQ+ museum in Granary Square yet, but it sounds good)

Food-wise, I know it's a chain and a thunderingly obvious suggestion, but Dishoom is worth checking out if you like Indian food (there's one near the station). But there's also loads and loads of independent restaurants for pretty much any cuisine you can think of and some of them aren't even eye-wateringly dear so I won't list everything here.

Apps like DICE or Time Out can be good for finding (often free) evening stuff to do on any given date, if you wanted to check out some comedy or live music or something.

I think my shittest recent London celeb spot was when I was in Richmond, with a friend who used to work for a big London theatre and has a pretty good handle on whether various famous people are goodies or baddies, and she said "Is that Richard E Grant? I hope not, he's a DICK'EAD" very loudly as the eponymous thesp loped past.

badaids

Quote from: flotemysost on August 14, 2022, 06:19:23 PMNah that's gone now. Incidentally this was the bar I mentioned in the "Rubbish claims to fame" thread, where a few members of Rammstein asked my friend and I for directions.

For museum-y things near (or near enough) to Kings Cross, the below might be worth a gander and tend not to be as horrifically touristy as bigger ones like the V&A and British Museum (and most are free, IIRC):

The Wellcome Collection
Grant Museum of Zoology
London Canal Museum
Museum of the Home
(Haven't checked out the new LGBTQ+ museum in Granary Square yet, but it sounds good)

Food-wise, I know it's a chain and a thunderingly obvious suggestion, but Dishoom is worth checking out if you like Indian food (there's one near the station). But there's also loads and loads of independent restaurants for pretty much any cuisine you can think of and some of them aren't even eye-wateringly dear so I won't list everything here.

Apps like DICE or Time Out can be good for finding (often free) evening stuff to do on any given date, if you wanted to check out some comedy or live music or something.

I think my shittest recent London celeb spot was when I was in Richmond, with a friend who used to work for a big London theatre and has a pretty good handle on whether various famous people are goodies or baddies, and she said "Is that Richard E Grant? I hope not, he's a DICK'EAD" very loudly as the eponymous thesp loped past.

WHAT???  When did the Crow Bar close?  It had a great Juke Box and you could get a bottle of horrible wine for £5.

I bet it was part of the shit redevelopment they've done in that area.

flotemysost

Ah, so it's closed at that site (I don't think the doors ever re-opened following the first 2020 lockdown) but apparently they've raised enough through crowdfunding to re-open in a new venue, dunno where yet though.

So basically yes, horrible redevelopment bollocks as you say.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: flotemysost on August 14, 2022, 06:19:23 PMThe Wellcome Collection

I'd echo this, I used to go there a lot with my ex when we lived in Queens Park and could just jump on the overground and be there in about 15 minutes.

Mister Six

If you're near King's Cross then you're also near Bloomsbury, which aside from being quite a nice place to wander about for five minutes, is the home of the book store from Black Books. Completely different inside of course, and exclusively do rarities and small prints. Did they have a copy of Grant Morrison's Lovely Biscuits? I asked. Did they buggery.

I'm always shit at spotting celebs. Saw Dara O'Brieieieien at a Jonny Sweet gig once, and at some time in the early 2000s, a bloke who looked exactly like Tom Cruise. Short, wearing casual clothes. I made eye contact and he gave me a big, shiny shit-eatin' American grin as if to say "Yes, I am Ton Cruise", which made me assume he was an impersonator, although in retrospect that's exactly what Tom Cruise would actually do, so...

Pancake

Pancake

I saw the main guy from Alistair McGowan's Big Impression (can't remember his name) on the tube once, wearing a big long coat like he owned the place, arrogant

Neomod

We used to live in the same road as Cindy Beale in East Finchley.

Never saw her in the Phoenix, bloody philistine.

Jittlebags

Saw her what played Missus Mc Clusky in GH crossing the road at Kings Cross once.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Pancake on August 15, 2022, 11:44:12 AMI saw the main guy from Alistair McGowan's Big Impression (can't remember his name) on the tube once, wearing a big long coat like he owned the place, arrogant
Quote from: Neomod on August 15, 2022, 12:09:58 PMWe used to live in the same road as Cindy Beale in East Finchley.

Never saw her in the Phoenix, bloody philistine.

I once sat at a table in Strigfellows with Cindy Beale, Peter Stringfellow, Marin Degville and my mate who was pretending to be Courtney Love, which is why we were at the Captain's table.