Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:31:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

First time in London!

Started by RetroRobot, August 13, 2022, 11:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkfromhavana

Quote from: The Crumb on August 14, 2022, 10:27:43 AMYou can still eat decently for non-obscene prices if you know where to look and are open to different cuisines.

Translation: Kebab

Neomod

Quote from: Dr Rock on August 15, 2022, 12:58:06 PMI once sat at a table in Strigfellows with Cindy Beale, Peter Stringfellow, Marin Degville and my mate who was pretending to be Courtney Love, which is why we were at the Captain's table.

Once saw a pre 'Wonderwall' Mike Flowers Pops perform at Stringfellows.

Members of Blur were sitting at the next table. Not sure whether they were there:

1. To see the Pops
2. Visiting Ironically
3. On Dave's annual 'Pussy Hunt'

shiftwork2

I'll never forget the time Nigel out of Eastenders sat down at our table in a pub in Stoke Newington.  Which is quite odd as even typing those words in was fucking boring.  Thanks for reading x.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Dr Rock on August 15, 2022, 12:58:06 PMI once sat at a table in Strigfellows with Cindy Beale, Peter Stringfellow, Marin Degville and my mate who was pretending to be Courtney Love, which is why we were at the Captain's table.
Is this...is this true? I mean, that Counterfeit Courtney fucked Stringfellow, didn't she?

Dr Rock

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Well, she at the very least had a sloppy snog with Steve Coogan, didn't she?

Dr Rock

I think that was the real Courtney. Though I know someone who did have a 'love romp' with Coogan, and very satisfied with the experience she was.

The Crumb

Just remembered it's happy hour at Pivo Hub on Tuesday. Get down there between 5 and 7 and you'll get 8 pints of delicious Czech lager for your 25 quid.

flotemysost

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on August 14, 2022, 01:00:55 PMI'm off to the Big Smoke in November, for an interview for a visa at the American Embassy.  I'm going to be getting my celeb-spotter glasses on.
Quote from: Dr Rock on August 14, 2022, 04:13:39 PMYes all the celebs hang around there.

I find the whole Nine Elms development round the embassy a tad bleak, but tbf if you're in the area there is a chance you might run into a published author, or (probably more likely) umpteen social media influencers doing photoshoots at the world's most anxiety-inducing swimming pool.

Pimlico and Vauxhall down the road are worth exploring though, if you have time. Excellent calibre of charity shops, some nice independent pubs, Tate Britain, authentic Portuguese food, green spaces, spies, Freddie Mercury's favourite nightclub; what's not to like? (Aside from being mugged and having to walk through piss, obvs)

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: the science eel on August 14, 2022, 10:49:20 AMYeah, just get the Tube out to the end of the line and have a kebab in the nearest place

Or walk for 10 minutes to Euston and go to Roti King which is probably the best value restaurant in London. Really good stuff. The only place in London that is actually worth joining a queue for.

Saw most of N-Dubz being terrible oiks at Cinnamon Club.

Saw Russell Brand coming out of a restaurant near Seven Dials

Followed Michael Heseltine along Tottenham Court Road when he was heading for Centre Point.

Stood behind Clare Skinner in a cashpoint queue in Muswell Hill.

Saw Super Hans at Alexandra Palace farmers' market.

[I wrote this last night but I've just found it unposted. Oh well. *click*]

RetroRobot

Hey all,

Overdid it yesterday! Did all the main touristy bits and walked a LOT. Think I've got heat stroke.

Today all I've done is walk about Soho and had food, I'm spent. Exhausted and back at the hotel. I do have a friend who lives here so I'll do the museumy stuff when I visit her. Would've seen her this trip but she's being cautious as she's got major surgery coming up.

I'm knackered and can't wait to be home, but that's my own fault for over doing it. Got some hours to kill after work but before my train tomorrow so will probably spend it in a pub near King's Cross.

Also rode the tube a lot today. Amazing how quick it is to get around Central London. Leeds public transport is piss.

RetroRobot

Quote from: RetroRobot on August 16, 2022, 07:35:44 PMHey all,

Overdid it yesterday! Did all the main touristy bits and walked a LOT. Think I've got heat stroke.

Today all I've done is walk about Soho and had food, I'm spent. Exhausted and back at the hotel. I do have a friend who lives here so I'll do the museumy stuff when I visit her. Would've seen her this trip but she's being cautious as she's got major surgery coming up.

I'm knackered and can't wait to be home, but that's my own fault for over doing it. Got some hours to kill after work but before my train tomorrow so will probably spend it in a pub near King's Cross.

Also rode the tube a lot today. Amazing how quick it is to get around Central London. Leeds public transport is piss.

Also even saw a celeb.
Some strictly bloke in Soho. Only knew he's a celebrity from other people chatting to and about him. I'm a pop culture vacuum.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: RetroRobot on August 16, 2022, 07:35:44 PMI'm knackered and can't wait to be home, but that's my own fault for over doing it. Got some hours to kill after work but before my train tomorrow so will probably spend it in a pub masssge parlour near King's Cross.

Fixed

RetroRobot

cosmic-hearse

King Charles I in Kings Cross is an excellent little pub, & not far from the stations as well

mrpupkin

Quote from: cosmic-hearse on August 16, 2022, 09:11:37 PMKing Charles I in Kings Cross is an excellent little pub, & not far from the stations as well

Small and popular though, just a heads up given the old social anxiety mentioned upthread. You might prefer a deserted shitfest. I know I do.

Tony Tony Tony

RetroRobot

Quote from: mrpupkin on August 16, 2022, 09:15:51 PMSmall and popular though, just a heads up given the old social anxiety mentioned upthread. You might prefer a deserted shitfest. I know I do.

Not deserted but also not heaving

flotemysost

Quote from: RetroRobot on August 16, 2022, 09:08:12 PMActually I'm doin a shit there

A wise precaution before you get on the train.

Dr Rock

Quote from: RetroRobot on August 16, 2022, 07:35:44 PMHey all,

Overdid it yesterday! Did all the main touristy bits and walked a LOT.

Like what? Don't tell me you went to Buckingham Palace?

RetroRobot

Quote from: Dr Rock on August 16, 2022, 10:05:57 PMLike what? Don't tell me you went to Buckingham Palace?

Hell no. Westminster, big ben, landmarky shite, Soho...

Dr Rock

Big Ben's not that big is it?

amateur

shoulders

Quote from: The Crumb on August 15, 2022, 04:22:03 PMJust remembered it's happy hour at Pivo Hub on Tuesday. Get down there between 5 and 7 and you'll get 8 pints of delicious Czech lager for your 25 quid.

Sadly it's now permanently closed.

shoulders

Quote from: cosmic-hearse on August 16, 2022, 09:11:37 PMKing Charles I in Kings Cross is an excellent little pub, & not far from the stations as well

Yes. Best pubs near Kings Cross are this, Queens Head on Acton St, and the famous (but slightly overexposed and churny) Scottish Stores.

Paul Calf

Tube tips:

• Stand on the left on the escalator, especially at busy times. If anyone tells you to stand on the right, they are an idiot who should be ignored.
  • A traditional place to meet in tube stations, especially for large groups, is at the top of the down escalator from the concourse. Talk as loudly as you can and you'll often find that passers-by will join in your lively conversation.
  • The tube journey from Bank to Monument is one of the most thrilling experiences you can have in London.
  • People will tell you to stand clear of the doors when waiting to board the train. Only idiot tourists do this. Stand directly in front of the doors and don't give any ground.

Captain Z

Not a lot of people know this, but "Big Ben" isn't actually the name of the mountain.

The Crumb

Quote from: shoulders on August 17, 2022, 07:29:20 AMYes. Best pubs near Kings Cross are this, Queens Head on Acton St, and the famous (but slightly overexposed and churny) Scottish Stores.

Haven't been yet, but I've heard good things about Mcglynns. And this will always be a yes from me.

shoulders

Yeah have walked past Mcglynns a few times. Looks unspectacular but in a particular way totally unspoilt and unusual for London.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 18, 2022, 12:40:09 PM
  • A traditional place to meet in tube stations, especially for large groups, is at the top of the down escalator from the concourse. Talk as loudly as you can and you'll often find that passers-by will join in your lively conversation.

No don't do this, you'll get in the way of people wanting to get on the down escalator. You should gather at the top of the up escalator instead.