Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:57:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Hitler themed wine on sale in Remini

Started by Fambo Number Mive, August 13, 2022, 04:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteThe wine, adorned with Adolf Hitler's face and slogans such as "Mein Führer," "Sieg Heil" and "Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer," have sparked fury from around the globe and condemnation from Jewish groups after it became known online that wine shops in Remini, Italy, were selling them. 

"A store employee said Germans very much like to buy these wines, and they are clearly the big hit there," Dr. Dagmar Millesi, who recently spotted the series while in Remini, told The Times of Israel. "The saleswoman was even amused at my outrage ... nobody is angry about it, no one forbids it ... I couldn't believe it."

This isn't the first time that Vini Lunardelli, the Italian winemaker who makes the niche bottles, has received backlash for his offensive wine labels. According to the The Times of London, the winemaker has been producing historically themed wines for over 25 years. Some include depictions of controversial leaders from Napoleon Bonaparte to Benito Mussolini. Hitler was already among the dictators included in the so-called History Series, prompting a call for a boycott from the Simon Wiesenthal Center. The Lunardelli website even allows customers to customize their Hitler label.

"The Wiesenthal Center denounces the marketing of these products and urges wine distributors in Italy and around the world to send the only message the owner of this firm might understand — that they choose not to do any business with someone using the Nazi mass murderer as a blatant marketing tool," rabbis Marvin Hier and Abraham Cooper said in a statement for the center...

You can see the wine labels, which have portraits of Hitler on them and slogans in German, at the History Net link here (obviously NSFW): https://www.historynet.com/hitler-wine-draws-ire/

All seems pretty grim really, I don't drink wine but if I did I don't think I'd want Mussolini, Stalin or Hitler on my bottles.

Zero Gravitas

Hitler looking like a tall drink himself, on those bottles.

elliszeroed

I bet it tastes better than the Gary Barlow wine.

king_tubby

kalowski

bgmnts

Pretty funny to be honest. I'd probably drink Hitler wine.

Blumf

Is there a Cromwell one? Probably be a whiskey, thinking about it.

Butchers Blind

If only we could go back in time and kill the baby grapes

Icehaven

How is the thread title not Wine Führer? Seriously though what's the connection between the product and the theme here, were the grapes grown near his birthplace or something? If not it's all a bit Joy Division Oven Gloves isn't it, just sticking a picture of Hitler on the bottle with a few German words when the actual wine has fuck-all to do with him.

king_tubby

Quote from: Icehaven on August 13, 2022, 05:56:03 PMHow is the thread title not Wine Führer?

Pretty good. Pretty pretty good.

kalowski

Fambo Number Mive

They stick loads of historical figures on the wine labels - Lenin, Stalin, Mussolini - not just Hitler. It's Hitler on the wine labels that has caused the most outcry.

Kankurette

Is it white? And do they do a Stalin red?

FalknerHinton

kalowski

idunnosomename

Quote from: Icehaven on August 13, 2022, 05:56:03 PMjust sticking a picture of Hitler on the bottle with a few German words when the actual wine has fuck-all to do with him.
could say the same about Gary Barlow

Terence Bowl

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 13, 2022, 06:37:32 PMcould say the same about Gary Barlow
To be fair Gary Barlow never done a holocaust (as far as we know).
That said though, Hitler had no involvement in the inexorable rise of Robbie Williams (as far as we know) so swings and roundabouts.

Captain Z

Quote from: Fambo Number MiveI don't drink wine but if I did I don't think I'd want Mussolini, Stalin or Hitler on my bottles.

Fussy.

buttgammon

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 13, 2022, 04:49:08 PMAll seems pretty grim really, I don't drink wine but if I did I don't think I'd want Mussolini, Stalin or Hitler on my bottles.

That's all well and good but I really hope you're not depriving yourself of a nice cheeky Pol Pot red.

Blumf

shiftwork2

NoSleep

touchingcloth

Quote from: kalowski on August 13, 2022, 05:23:41 PMYou say NSFW but I work for a fascist builders' merchant so we're ok with it.

You say NSFW, but I work as a member of the Waffen SS.

nero

Something about "Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer," in comic sans on the bottle label has sparked fury in me.
And I suppose the Hitler thing isn't great either.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: bgmnts on August 13, 2022, 05:28:51 PMPretty funny to be honest. I'd probably drink Hitler wine.

It is. We have a long history of taking the piss out of Hitler, It's nice to see other countries getting on board.

The problem though is we maybe don't know the intent of the seller.  You'll probably get skinheads buying it thinking it's well ace.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: nero on August 14, 2022, 02:43:29 AMSomething about "Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer," in comic sans on the bottle label has sparked fury in me.

"Du pain, du vin, du Boursin" considers rewrite.

Glebe

Fuck's sake.

There was an actual Swastika Laudery here in Dublin once upon a time:

buttgammon

Quote from: Glebe on August 14, 2022, 03:37:44 AMFuck's sake.

There was an actual Swastika Laudery here in Dublin once upon a time:

And they kept using that logo until the 80s!

shoulders

Nice to see Classic Paedo gets a look in in the Rosé section.